Thread: March 15-16th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - A Single Flower (DAYLIGHT SAVINGS!)

March 15-16th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - A Single Flower (DAYLIGHT SAVINGS!)

REMINDER:
    DAYLIGHT SAVINGS START TIME CHANGE NORTH AMERICA

(not yet Europe/UK, AustraNZ on their own )

A famous Koan ...

Once, when the World-Honored One in ancient times was upon Vulture Peak,
    he held up a flower before the assembly of monks.
    At this all were silent.
    The Venerable Mahakashapa alone broke into a smile.

Mahakasyapa_smiling_at_the_lotus_flower-1639103820.jpg

Dear All,

Please sit our Treeleaf Zazenkai for 90 minutes with Zazen, Heart Sutra and more:

10am Japan Saturday morning, NY 9pm, LA 6pm Friday night, London 1am and Paris 2am Saturday morning, or any time thereafter here:

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off: Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS
    01:30 - 01:45(?) Informal Tea Time (All Welcome)

ATTENTION: Everyone, when rising for Kinhin or Ceremonies after Zazen, get up slowly, don't rush, hold something stable, you won't be "late", so TAKE YOUR TIME! Make sure you are careful getting up!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093

I also recommend a little Talk on why small rituals and procedures are so cherished in the Zendo:

SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Small Things in the Zendo

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...s-in-the-Zendo

Last edited by Bion; 03-15-2024 at 02:42 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Most joyful occasion of the entire week! See you all later! Enjoy the day!

Gassho
    Sat and lah
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

I was doing some research (admittedly, mostly Wikipedia!) and discovered that the udumbara flower that the Buddha is said to have held up is a very strange thing.

The udumbara flower is Ficus racemosa (a fig, like the Bodhi Tree, Ficus religiosa). Its flower actually grows inside the fruit or is part of it. For this reason, it was thought during the Buddha's time to flower only very very rarely, such as once every few thousand years indicating an event such as the birth of a wheel-turning monarch (chakravatin). It is mentioned in the Uraga Sutta (Sutta Nikaya 1:1) because of its perceived flowerlessness:

The monk seeing
    in states of becoming
    no essence,
    as he would,
    when surveying a fig tree,
    no flowers,
    sloughs off the near shore & far —
    as a snake, its decrepit old skin.

(https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipi...1.01.than.html)
    In early medieval Japan and possibly elsewhere this flower is believed to be capable of saving the lives of those dying from disease

In the Atharva Veda, this fig tree (Sanskrit: Umbara or Audumbara) is given prominence as a means for acquiring prosperity and vanquishing foes. In Buddhism, it is more seen as a symbol of the dangers of materialism as the udumbara is a species of what is known as a 'strangler fig' that kills the plant it grows around, just as it is said that materialism eats up anyone who is caught up in it.

Alternatively it may be that udumbara refers to the blue lotus (Nymphaea nouchali var. caerulea) which looks pretty and doesn't strangle other plants. I hope that isn't the case!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
    Last edited by Kokuu; 03-15-2024 at 08:36 PM.

Thank you everyone!
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thank you everyone!
    Gassho, Kiri
    Sat/Lah
    希 rare
    理 principle
    (Nikolas)

Doshin
    Stlah

I started my Saturday morning w you ( youtube version)
    Thanks a lot! So nice to be here.
    Seijin

Sat (obviously)

Thank you for this Zazenkai!

Gassho
    Will
    SatLah
    - Will

Respecting others is my only duty - Ryokan

Sat with you all just now.
    Thank you, Treeleaf

Gassho, Hozan
    Satlah

Thank you everyone. I sat with you this morning

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Thanks all, I sat with you all today, and it was my first time sitting for a full zazenkai.

I love the talk about the flower which contains everything, Jundo. Makes me wonder if this is what Mahakashyapa saw when Shakyamuni Buddha held up the flower and transmitted zen.

Gassho,
    Anthony
    satlah

Thanks all, I sat with you this morning, albeit in my office before work.

Jundo, your talk drives home a good point. During zazen I often get the 'to do list demon', planning my day, what I want to do after zazen, what I need to get done at work, etc etc, and that's just the contents of zazen.

When I notice myself going down that rabbit hole, just taking stock of the fact puts it back in order. I usually just say to myself, "now is the time of zazen, you can do the other things later", and and just get back to sitting.

Every day is a school day, I'll be doing my homework....

Satlah

Gassho

Myojin

Quote Originally Posted by Myojin View Post
    Thanks all, I sat with you this morning, albeit in my office before work.

Jundo, your talk drives home a good point. During zazen I often get the 'to do list demon', planning my day, what I want to do after zazen, what I need to get done at work, etc etc, and that's just the contents of zazen.

When I notice myself going down that rabbit hole, just taking stock of the fact puts it back in order. I usually just say to myself, "now is the time of zazen, you can do the other things later", and and just get back to sitting.

Every day is a school day, I'll be doing my homework....

Satlah

Gassho

Myojin
    I just want to say I have deep appreciation for all of you who make the time during your busy work days to sit with the zazenkai. I admire and learn from that dedication you all demonstrate.

Gassho
    Sat and lah
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi