Thread: What foods are you preparing for the Rohatsu retreat?

What foods are you preparing for the Rohatsu retreat?

Hi folks,

I was just wondering what food everyone is going to prepare for the Rohatsu retreat? I figured I'm going to make some brown rice with black beans as it's easy to prepare and store.

Gassho,

Hoseki
    sattoday/lah

I do much the same: https://risashome.blogspot.com/2022/...n-kitchen.html

But for Oryoki I tend to fry ahead some squares of tempeh, tofu, or both, as it goes fast and the bowl is easier to clean

gassho
    ds sat/lah
    Visiting priest: use salt

Quote Originally Posted by Shōnin Risa Bear View Post
    I do much the same: https://risashome.blogspot.com/2022/...n-kitchen.html

But for Oryoki I tend to fry ahead some squares of tempeh, tofu, or both, as it goes fast and the bowl is easier to clean

gassho
    ds sat/lah
    Hi,

I've never heard of tempeh before. I'm going to check the grocery store on the way home and give it a try. Thank you for the suggestion!

Gassho,

Hoseki
    sattoday/lah

Typically I do an egg omelette that I slice into sections, back beans and rice, and a handy vegetable. Sometimes I like pickled foods in my small bowl - For example, I like a quick cucumber pickle like those in Scandinavian countries.

Sotoshu has some recipes that might give you some ideas.

https://www.sotozen.com/eng/practice...ng/recipe.html

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

For me it’s always the simple and traditional rice porridge, maybe cooked in dashi, maybe with mango like I did last year, with pickles and maybe some stir-fried vegetables. Has to be easy and fast.

Gassho
    Sat and lah
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Quote Originally Posted by Shinshi View Post
    Typically I do an egg omelette that I slice into sections, back beans and rice, and a handy vegetable. Sometimes I like pickled foods in my small bowl - For example, I like a quick cucumber pickle like those in Scandinavian countries.

Sotoshu has some recipes that might give you some ideas.

https://www.sotozen.com/eng/practice...ng/recipe.html

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    Thank you for sharing, Shinshi! I may try one of these during Rohatsu!

Gasshō,

On

Sat today/LAH

I'm a little confused as I try to understand the schedule. It looks as if there is one oryoki meal per day? That one has a 30-minute rest period before it, during which I plan to heat some simple food. What about the other two meals of the day?

Gassho,

Do Mi
    sat lah

Quote Originally Posted by Do Mi View Post
    I'm a little confused as I try to understand the schedule. It looks as if there is one oryoki meal per day? That one has a 30-minute rest period before it, during which I plan to heat some simple food. What about the other two meals of the day?

Gassho,

Do Mi
    sat lah
    Those you’d have on your own, probably in the rest periods. Maybe make sure it’s all ready, and just heat it up.

Gassho
    Sat and lah
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

I am planning to do rice which I can make the day before, with furikake, and likely some marinated tofu. I'll check out the link Shinshi posted, maybe there's something there I want to try too.

The other meals are either before I start, or during a rest period. Last year I did breakfast before the start of the day, and dinner was something quick in the air fryer during a rest.

Sorry for running long.

Gassho,
    SatLah
    Kelly

What foods are you preparing for the Rohatsu retreat?

This is a traditional breakfast we used to eat during retreat at Mt. Equity Zendo. Dai-En Bennage brought this recipe back with her from Japan. I made it last year for Rohatsu. Making again this year.

Gassho
    Daiman
    St/lah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Daiman; 11-23-2023 at 06:34 PM.