Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ATTENTION! Our "AT HOME" 2-DAY ROHATSU RETREAT - December 5th to 7th! BE READY!

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    There is a short break period of 20 or 30 minutes between each Oryoki. I would have soup, cereal, tea pre-prepared and just warm it if you wish during that period. It will get cold again during all our long chanting ... before starting to eat ... but that is true for Oryoki in the monastery too.

Gassho, J
    Thank you yes, I see the time now in the schedule you refer to.
    Gassho
    C

RETREAT PREPARATION LESSON IV -

We have some Bowing and Prostrations during our annual retreat ... especially times of prostrating (Raihai), done in a series or three (Sanpai) ...

Many Westerners don't care for it, because it is not part of our culture generally. We see it as humiliating, embarrassing, somehow "idol worshipping" or undemocratic. I am often asked to whom or what we are bowing ... Is it to some thing, god, place like Mecca, person or effigy?

I answer by saying that there is nothing that's true that is omitted from our bow. We might consider that we're simply bowing to the whole universe, and to ourself and the other people around us … after all, 'All is One'! The hands, palms upwards, are raised in a gesture traditionally symbolic of lifting the Buddha's feet over one's head, but that truly means lifting all things of the universe over one's head. It's appropriate to cultivate an attitude of emptying, letting go, receptivity and gratitude in our bows.

I do not necessarily think anything when bowing ... although I usually feel in my heart that "Great Gratitude" I sometimes mention.

If there is some physical or personal reason not to prostrate, a simple Gassho can be substituted. However, there is greatness in the humility of the prostration.

No less, are we raising something up or ... seen another way ... is the whole world raising us up at the same time?

The Korean Zen folks are very big with the Prostrations, often recommending at least 108 each day. This site also has some good pictures on "how to" Prostrate.

http://london-zen-centre.weebly.com/...strations.html

It is a powerful physical Practice. These days, I usually practice a deep Gassho during our Zazenkai and such. However, I engage in Prostrations also, during our more formal monthly Zazenkai, Rohatsu Retreat and like times.

Many Tibetans (many Christians pilgrims too) will travel for hundreds of miles, prostrating with each step ...

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday

(Usually repeated in groups of 3x)
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-04-2014 at 04:50 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Yugen
    Dear all,
    Day Two Unit Three will be netcast live! Hope to have the honor of practicing with you -

Deep bows
    Yugen

Gratefully participating.

Gassho,
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

I plan to participate. But I have a question, the long service has a note
    Please follow along in the Sutra Books that will be provided.
    . Is this part of the chant book? Or is it part of Samadhi of the Treasury of Light or something else entirely? I'm trying to get everything printed and together ahead of time, so I'm prepared.

Gassho,
    Kathryn

Sat Today

Hi Kathryn,

It is the Chant Book for Rohatsu Retreat, the link for which is above and also here ...

https://sites.google.com/site/jundot...edirects=0&d=1

Gassho, Jundo
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Nindo
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    Hi Nindo, I would be happy to do Day 1/Unit 1 and Day 2/Unit 1 with you. Due to family commitments my participation past the morning will be kind of random. Let me know if that works for you. 6am central works for me.

_|sat2day|_
    Hi Troy,
    thanks for offering, but I don't think I will make it that early after all.
    Good sitting to all!

Gassho,
    Nindo

sat today

Ok, no worries

_|sat2day|_

Hi all, just wanted to wish everyone a Happy Rohatsu before the forum closes.
    I'll be sitting live from time to time.
    When not live, I'll still be with you all.

PS: BTW, how does one celebrate on Rohatsu day?

Gassho,
    Walter

#SatToday.
    Gassho,Walter

Daizan
    sat today

Just hit me that the 6am start in Japan means a 4am start for me, so I'd best get to bed!

Looking forward to seeing you all then!

Gassho,

Bryson

​sat today

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12