Thread: Evaluation of thoughts without letting them drag you around

Evaluation of thoughts without letting them drag you around

As thoughts occur, letting them go is part of our practice, but what can be said about the thoughts themselves? We cannot ignore them. They come regardless. I still must make decisions, take actions, and plan.

Being dragged around by my thoughts is easily remedied by letting them go, but some thoughts must be evaluated so I can make informed decisions. How do I do this without being snared by them?

Apologies if I seem roundabout. It's easier (well, let's just say the conditions are more conducive) in sitting meditation to just let go, but in everyday life, one must still say things, do things, and plan.

Any insights are greatly appreciated!

-sat today

When I count out loud to 5, I generate voluntary thoughts. I control these.

When I say out loud “I wonder what my next thought will be?” and wait for a thought to appear I notice an involuntary thought that I do not control.

I chose whether I want to act on involuntary thoughts.

It’s important to know the difference between voluntary and involuntary thoughts.

I do better by not taking my involuntary thoughts too seriously.

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    As thoughts occur, letting them go is part of our practice, but what can be said about the thoughts themselves? We cannot ignore them. They come regardless. I still must make decisions, take actions, and plan.

Being dragged around by my thoughts is easily remedied by letting them go, but some thoughts must be evaluated so I can make informed decisions. How do I do this without being snared by them?

Apologies if I seem roundabout. It's easier (well, let's just say the conditions are more conducive) in sitting meditation to just let go, but in everyday life, one must still say things, do things, and plan.

Any insights are greatly appreciated!

-sat today
    Hi Douglas,

Do not evaluate, and just let go ... during Zazen. During Zazen do not ponder, do not evaluate, just let the thoughts and changing emotions just be, passing on through. One may then realize the aspect of this world which just is, timeless, whole without need for our small human judgements.

However, in life off the cushion, we need to plan, evaluate, learn from, consider, make effort, watch the clock. In our ignorance, however, sometimes that is all we do ... tangled and lost in a world of planning, evaluation, needs, effort, time, win and lose, coming and going, birth and death.

Hopefully, through this practice, when off the cushion, one learns that all of the above happen at once, and can manifest a kind of "planning non planning, evaluation without judgement" as if seeing life each way individually out of each of two eyes, with both eyes open at once offering the clear vision of a Buddha.

Do me a favor, and listen to the little talk today during our Zazenkai, from about the 57 minute mark ... on being both the boundless, timeless "original" clock face, even as the passing hands of time turn and turn ...

Gassho, J

stlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-30-2024 at 04:47 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Hi Douglas,

Do not evaluate, and just let go ... during Zazen. During Zazen, just let the thoughts and changing emotions just be, passing on through. One may then realize the aspect of this world which just is, timeless, whole without need for our small human judgements.

However, in life off the cushion, we need to plan, evaluate, learn from, consider, make effort, watch the clock. In our ignorance, however, sometimes that is all we do ... tangled and lost in a world of planning, evaluation, needs, effort, time, win and lose, coming and going, birth and death.

Hopefully, through this practice, when off the cushion, one learns that all of the above happen at once, and can manifest a kind of "planning non planning, evaluation without judgement" as if seeing life each way individually out of each of two eyes, with both eyes open at once offering the clear vision of a Buddha.

Do me a favor, and listen to the little talk today during our Zazenkai, from about the 57 minute mark ... on being both the boundless, timeless "original" clock face, even as the passing hands of time turn and turn ...

Gassho, J

stlah
    Btw .. all the zazenkai are time stamped so the talk is just one click away precisely at the right moment

Gassho
    Sat and lah
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Hi Douglas,

Do not evaluate, and just let go ... during Zazen. During Zazen do not ponder, do not evaluate, just let the thoughts and changing emotions just be, passing on through. One may then realize the aspect of this world which just is, timeless, whole without need for our small human judgements.

Gassho, J

stlah
    Thank you Jundo. I watched it!

-sat today

22 years of marriage today!!! Made possible by not minding involuntary thought.

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Jishin View Post
    22 years of marriage today!!! Made possible by not minding involuntary thought.

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH

Probably more on her part than yours!

Congratulations! Mazeltov!

Gassho, Jundo

stlah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Probably more on her part than yours!

Congratulations! Mazeltov!

Gassho, Jundo

stlah
    She is a real Buddha.