Thread: [HealthDharma] Turning Suffering Inside Out, chapter two, part two

[HealthDharma] Turning Suffering Inside Out, chapter two, part two

chapter two, part two (p30-39 ‘Enriching Your Life Exponentially’ up to end of chapter)

Note: after this week we will take a week off to allow people to catch up on any reading and commenting before continuing with the next part of the book.

Darlene begins this section talking about why it is especially important for people in pain to create a life they love and enjoy. She explains how this leads her to engage totally with her life, even those parts we might consider to be mundane such as washing the dishes. As the Treeleaf motto states, “All of life is our temple.”

Although illness is not generally seen as a positive thing, it gives us an opportunity to fully engage with our life. Our body is often telling us exactly how it feels in response to each and every action we perform.

Through careful observation Darlene observed how focussing on different parts of the body at different times (such as the foot that is in the air rather than on the ground) could make a huge difference to her experience of an action. One of her clients also observed that everything that happens to her is information about her body. This kind of curiosity can be harnessed in our practice.

However, rather than this enquiry being purely functional, Darlene goes on to say that “we must penetrate our anguish and pain so thoroughly that illness and health lose their distinction, allowing us just to live our lives.” This reminds me of the koan in which a monk asks Dongshan (Liangjie), “When we are surrounded by cold or heat, how can we avoid them?”. Dongshan replies, “When it is cold, kill yourself with cold, and when it is hot, kill yourself with heat.” (The Blue Cliff Record, Case 43, Dongshan’s Hot and Cold). In that case, Dongshan is similarly asking us to penetrate hot and cold so thoroughly that we are no longer separated from them.

She emphasises that illness is not a preparation for anything else, nor a journey to another situation called wellness. It is its own self.

Darlene next talks about the importance of comfort. She points out that when we are overwhelmed with how we are feeling, it is okay to seek solace. Sometimes that solace will be in directly feeling what is going on in our body, focussing on the sensations rather than the stories in our head, sometimes it will come in the form of distraction and that is okay. We are not failing by taking a break from our pain, but instead seeing the reality that living with chronic pain and illness is hard, and allowing some space away from that. Darlene notes that there is a difference between making that a conscious choice and it being a reactive habit of avoidance.

Question prompts, although feel free to talk about any part of the reading that you wish:

1. Would you say you have created a life that you love and enjoy? Has this been hard in terms of your illness or pain?

2. How do you relate to Darlene talking about finding comfort, both in the centre of pain and suffering, and by using distractions? Do you think you use distraction in a conscious and mindful way or more as a reactive escape?

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Thank you, Kokuu.

1. Would you say you have created a life that you love and enjoy? Has this been hard in terms of your illness or pain?
    I would say I am content. That is a very positive change from the despair I felt in 2020 when I was struggling to heal from surgery and its complications, and adapt to my changed circumstances. This is an interesting question. I don’t think I’ve ever dared to think I could love life.

2. How do you relate to Darlene talking about finding comfort, both in the centre of pain and suffering, and by using distractions? Do you think you use distraction in a conscious and mindful way or more as a reactive escape? I really appreciate her honesty and can relate to the scenarios and emotional ups and downs she describes. I have done both. When I resort to distraction, sometimes it’s mindful. I fear it’s just as often reactive and unconscious.

Kokuu quoted above: “We must penetrate our anguish and pain so thoroughly that illness and health lose their distinction, allowing us to just live our lives.” I highlighted this and the sentences before it, “But if we practice paying attention to our body mainly to get rid of our suffering or restore an ailing body to functioning rather than to express our life and our nature, it is a very narrow and vulnerable achievement. Just as a clay Buddha cannot go through the water or a wood Buddha cannot go through the fire, a goal-oriented healing practice cannot permeate deeply enough.” This really spoke to me as a practice that leaps beyond the tepid way mindfulness is usually presented.

Gassho,
    Naiko
    stlah

I just wanted to respond to say I am reading along with the group but as I don’t suffer from any chronic illness, pain, or fatigue I can’t relate to the question prompts. I was a bit surprised by the advice in the “Distraction: Down ‘n Dirty Comfort”. No judgement intended though. I suspect that there are days when any sort of escape feels necessary.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

I was a bit surprised by the advice in the “Distraction: Down ‘n Dirty Comfort”. No judgement intended though. I suspect that there are days when any sort of escape feels necessary.
    Yes, it very much comes from the reality of living with a chronic condition. Sometimes it is just overwhelming and you need to take time out. One thing I really like about Darlene is her humanity in admitting this and not making people feel guilty for needing distractions as part of their working with what arises.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Yes, it very much comes from the reality of living with a chronic condition. Sometimes it is just overwhelming and you need to take time out. One thing I really like about Darlene is her humanity in admitting this and not making people feel guilty for needing distractions as part of their working with what arises.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

I would say I am content. That is a very positive change from the despair I felt in 2020 when I was struggling to heal from surgery and its complications, and adapt to my changed circumstances. This is an interesting question. I don’t think I’ve ever dared to think I could love life.
    Content certainly sounds like a good place to land, and definitely a positive upgrade on despair. Do you think you could dare to contemplate loving life in the future or is contentment enough?

2. How do you relate to Darlene talking about finding comfort, both in the centre of pain and suffering, and by using distractions? Do you think you use distraction in a conscious and mindful way or more as a reactive escape? I really appreciate her honesty and can relate to the scenarios and emotional ups and downs she describes. I have done both. When I resort to distraction, sometimes it’s mindful. I fear it’s just as often reactive and unconscious.
    Yes, I find similarly, and likewise really appreciate Darlene's honesty here. It gives the feeling of someone's real lived experience rather than intellectual understanding.

“We must penetrate our anguish and pain so thoroughly that illness and health lose their distinction, allowing us to just live our lives.” I highlighted this and the sentences before it, “But if we practice paying attention to our body mainly to get rid of our suffering or restore an ailing body to functioning rather than to express our life and our nature, it is a very narrow and vulnerable achievement. Just as a clay Buddha cannot go through the water or a wood Buddha cannot go through the fire, a goal-oriented healing practice cannot permeate deeply enough.” This really spoke to me as a practice that leaps beyond the tepid way mindfulness is usually presented.
    I really appreciate you highlighting this section, Naiko. That kind of goal-oriented practice may have limited success, but, in my experience, is never going to be enough. By opening ourselves to the totality of experience, we let go of judging pain and pleasure and can be present with the fullness of life without asking it to be other than it is. You can tell she has done her fair share of Shikantaza!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Thank you Kokuu

It's a work in progress... a few years ago, while going through a very difficult and demanding time in my life, I realized that I had "a lot of work to do", starting by facing realities that were very painful for me. I'm in a much better place right now, but "not there yet". Zazen, and Sanshin as described in "How to cook your life", is helping me a lot to also focus on the good that is already here, just as it is, while I continue working towards improving "the rest".

2. How do you relate to Darlene talking about finding comfort, both in the centre of pain and suffering, and by using distractions? Do you think you use distraction in a conscious and mindful way or more as a reactive escape?
    Darlene is so open and honest about her own coping strategies, it's comforting to read it! I use distractions in mindful and mindless ways, both work in those moments

While reading this part of the book, I wrote in my notes:
    "This (what Darlene discusses in this section) requires to be willing to stop, to be here... and I'm realizing that when I'm "very busy", l am also running away for the present moment and whatever is going on in it..."
    My mindless distractions are definitively about running away from the present moment, I'll try to remember this book the next time I catch myself in that kind of avoidance.

Gassho
    Alina
    ST+LAH

Do you think you could dare to contemplate loving life in the future or is contentment enough?
    I’ve been chewing on this, wondering if that love has strings attached. Does life have “better” or meet certain conditions before I can love life or can I love my life just as it is? Is my contentment contingent too?

Gassho,
    Naiko
    stlah

I’ve been chewing on this, wondering if that love has strings attached. Does life have “better” or meet certain conditions before I can love life or can I love my life just as it is? Is my contentment contingent too?
    That is an interesting question. I guess that it would be unrealistic to think that how we feel about life will be unrelated to our circumstances. That said, it seems to me that Shikantaza is a practice that develops a different relationship to what is happening and can bring about a deep contentment with, and maybe even love for, life which are independent of circumstances, or at least see the ups and downs of life as waves on the sea.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

It's a work in progress... a few years ago, while going through a very difficult and demanding time in my life, I realized that I had "a lot of work to do", starting by facing realities that were very painful for me. I'm in a much better place right now, but "not there yet". Zazen, and Sanshin as described in "How to cook your life", is helping me a lot to also focus on the good that is already here, just as it is, while I continue working towards improving "the rest".
    Thank you, Alina. I think that you hit the nail on the head in terms of facing realities. It is understandable that we often prefer not to as, like you say, they can be very painful to look at, but it is the way we move into either acceptance or change. I wonder if we are ever 'there' in terms of reaching a good place but focussing on the good that is already here sounds like a very healthy thing, and How to Cook Your Life is a great guide for how to live.

Darlene is so open and honest about her own coping strategies, it's comforting to read it! I use distractions in mindful and mindless ways, both work in those moments
    Yes, I find her honesty so refreshing, and seeing that we are not failing if we take time out from being with our physical reality.

While reading this part of the book, I wrote in my notes:
    "This (what Darlene discusses in this section) requires to be willing to stop, to be here... and I'm realizing that when I'm "very busy", l am also running away for the present moment and whatever is going on in it..."
    My mindless distractions are definitively about running away from the present moment, I'll try to remember this book the next time I catch myself in that kind of avoidance.
    Lovely! It is great to read what parts of the book resonate most with people.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

May I? I may be here intermittently.

One of my Dharma sisters at Bird Haven was Darlene's student and transferred to Kenshin after her time.

My conditions (slow leukemia, chronic lumbar, knee and ankle deterioration/arthritis, seizures, cardio) have limited my available postures and activities, but the pain levels have been remarkably low considering. We're all three of us depressed here all the time, but that has to do with having lost an irreplaceable family member. What happens is I'm unable to do much or think clearly for a week or so, then I'm fairly able and bright for a week or so. So I tether myself to the moment, not trying to live by a fixed calendar. I would characterize the general mood as patience, with a dollop of regarding contentment as joy of living with a low flame.

You might be surprised at how much anime and manga I consume. In better weather I do try to garden, though lately it seems to be in ten minute increments. What can be more lovely than a tiny baby daikon shouldering its way through the earth crumbs?

gassho
    ds satlah today
    Visiting priest: use salt

It's a difficult question. As Alina said: it's a work in progress. I aim to learn to write popular science, despite not considering myself a good writer and often doubting myself of that possibly. I also would like to go back to sketching and drawing, but I prefer not to force it because I do enjoy it. For the past year I realized how lucky is to have this kind of job here in China (before that I was only thinking of the next job with higher wages or living in a better country), despite not being paid as a full-time job, I started to enjoy it and looking forward to it and at the same time study other areas. Sounds better than it is, but it's something that I appreciate.

Yes, it has been hard, but fortunately I try to address unattended areas that have always hindered living my life more consciously.

In some way, yes. Like for example reading topics of my interest are much more conscious forms of escape than playing videogames or numbing with addictive patterns. Again, I would like to nourish drawing and taking photographs. Learning Chinese with an app on the phone is a good transition to more mindful choices.

It was very moving the part of the old lady on the wheelchair that came to realize that the whole universe was her medicine. Also when Darlene mentions the giving up using meditation as means to improve myself, otherwise we can't go deeper; however this sounds already like a Koan.

Gasshō

stlah, Kaitan
    Last edited by Kaitan; 03-28-2024 at 02:26 AM.
    Kaitan - 界探 - Realm searcher
    Formerly known as "Bernal"

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    chapter two, part two (p30-39 ‘Enriching Your Life Exponentially’ up to end of chapter)

1. I would say I have finally found some balance and hope from taking a more active role in my own health. This is much harder than can seem as it can be very demoralizing having a chronic illness that is relentless.

2. To be completely honest at their start of my problems all I sought out was comfort, and it was an important step to help remain active in trying to figure this out. While others will constantly offer suggestions, it is really up to you to figure out what you need to more than survive but actually try to thrive. Sometimes we view ourselves as above this and that we have been practicing for decades, surely we can do better! But until you are in the situation it is incredibly difficult to cast judgment on others on how they figured out to get through it.

Gassho_/\_
    Brett

Naiko thank you for your thoughts. I like your emphasis on Darlenes words "a goal-oriented healing practice cannot permeate deeply enough". It makes me realise I often use focus on sensations of breathing to avoid the pain/s of my illnesses. (Still, I suspect that's better than despair, when I can't find equanimity?)

Gassho
    Dee

Thank you for the summary and prompts Kokuu.
    Weakness etc prevents me from participating as much as I'd like in reflection and discussion unfortunately.

Gassho
    Dee 🙏

May I? I may be here intermittently.

One of my Dharma sisters at Bird Haven was Darlene's student and transferred to Kenshin after her time.
    Of course you may! And that is lovely that one of your dharma sisters was a student of Darlene's.

My conditions (slow leukemia, chronic lumbar, knee and ankle deterioration/arthritis, seizures, cardio) have limited my available postures and activities, but the pain levels have been remarkably low considering. We're all three of us depressed here all the time, but that has to do with having lost an irreplaceable family member. What happens is I'm unable to do much or think clearly for a week or so, then I'm fairly able and bright for a week or so. So I tether myself to the moment, not trying to live by a fixed calendar. I would characterize the general mood as patience, with a dollop of regarding contentment as joy of living with a low flame.
    That loss must still feel very raw

You might be surprised at how much anime and manga I consume. In better weather I do try to garden, though lately it seems to be in ten minute increments. What can be more lovely than a tiny baby daikon shouldering its way through the earth crumbs?
    Manga and anime are great, and gardening is such a lovely thing to do, even in small increments. I similarly have a small garden of herbs in pots which I enjoy tending to.

Gassho
    Kokuu

In some way, yes. Like for example reading topics of my interest are much more conscious forms of escape than playing videogames or numbing with addictive patterns. Again, I would like to nourish drawing and taking photographs. Learning Chinese with an app on the phone is a good transition to more mindful choices.

It was very moving the part of the old lady on the wheelchair that came to realize that the whole universe was her medicine. Also when Darlene mentions the giving up using meditation as means to improve myself, otherwise we can't go deeper; however this sounds already like a Koan.
    That is a good reminder that even with the internet there are choices we can make that are more mindful, and learning Chinese with an app sounds like a good thing to do. There is still a space for videogames too chosen mindfully. Your inclination to draw and take photographs seems to be something lovely to nourish.

Darlene definitely taps into the wisdom of Zazen in reminding us not to use it as a form of self-improvement.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

1. I would say I have finally found some balance and hope from taking a more active role in my own health. This is much harder than can seem as it can be very demoralizing having a chronic illness that is relentless.

2. To be completely honest at their start of my problems all I sought out was comfort, and it was an important step to help remain active in trying to figure this out. While others will constantly offer suggestions, it is really up to you to figure out what you need to more than survive but actually try to thrive. Sometimes we view ourselves as above this and that we have been practicing for decades, surely we can do better! But until you are in the situation it is incredibly difficult to cast judgment on others on how they figured out to get through it.
    I think those are important points, Brett, and at the beginning of a chronic illness many of us find ourselves in survival mode, looking for whatever means we can to cope. After some time and acceptance it may be that then we can look at how to thrive but, as you say, even then there are times when we find ourselves just needing to survive a particularly tough time, and we should not judge ourselves or others for that.

Gassho
    Kokuu

Thank you for the summary and prompts Kokuu.
    Weakness etc prevents me from participating as much as I'd like in reflection and discussion unfortunately.
    Dee, it is lovely having you as part of the group and I hope you can benefit by the reading and discussion here even if you cannot always join in so much.

Gassho
    Kokuu