Thread: Shikantaza Feels So Good

Shikantaza Feels So Good

Whatever practice i do, everytime i come back to shikantaza. It feels so complete and peaceful.
    Why isn't this practice known by more people?

As you say, just sitting can be peaceful and feel complete. In other moments, however, it can be uncomfortable or monotonous. In my life, it is a vital practice, but also a difficult one to sustain. Perhaps this is why it isn't more popular. Of course, I am a priest in training so I could have it all wrong.

Gassho,
    Shujin
    St/lah

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Kyōdō Shujin 教道 守仁

Noidea, same with me

Shujin

I identify with both of you

Doshin
    Stlah

Quote Originally Posted by Noidea View Post
    Whatever practice i do, everytime i come back to shikantaza. It feels so complete and peaceful.
    I am a priest in training, with no depth of knowledge for teaching the Dharma or Zen Buddhist practice. Please take my words accordingly.

It is nice to be able to find peace for sitting and all parts of our practice. May it ever be so for us, and for more sentient beings.

Shikantaza feels complete, and it should! It is the complete realization of enlightenment, fulfilling all that we practice for. It isn't always comfortable, and we don't always feel peaceful. Whether this moment of practice is uplifting and peaceful to us, or uncomfortable, or we have a cold, or we are mad at someone, whatever we are sitting with, our shikantaza done with the intent of freeing sentient beings, is wholly perfect. Nothing else is needed.

Noidea, would you do us a favor and sign your posts with the name you wish to go by here? And possibly add a photo. We don't need to identify you, only to have a face and name to associate you with. When you have a chance, take a look at this post: https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...before-CHAT%21

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.
    遜道念芸 Sondō Nengei (he/him)

Please excuse any indication that I am trying to teach anything. I am a priest in training and have no qualifications or credentials to teach Zen practice or the Dharma.

Quote Originally Posted by Noidea View Post
    I'm glad to read that it is a practice that fits you well. A thought that comes up for me here is that “complete and peaceful”, though enjoyable feelings, are nonetheless transitory and conditioned and sometimes they might not accompany shikantaza or better yet, we might forget to label the sitting with those terms. Sitting is an always new and surprising experience, so no wonder you come back to it again and again.

gassho
    sat and lah
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

When I sit, I argue with my wife.
    Complete yes, but peaceful…?
    I exaggerate a bit, but not completely off the mark.

Gassho, Hōzan
    Satlah

Yes, Zazen is the open boundless sky.

Some days peaceful, some days rainy or even stormy, some days sunny, some days grey, some days cold, some days hot or snowing or a hurricane ...

We sit as the sky, letting the weather of the mind's passing clouds just to pass. We do not demand that the weather always be pleasant peaceful and sunny.

Zazen is funny that way: An overarching Peace and Joy (Big P and J) so Peaceful and Joyous that it is even at Peace and Joyous to not always feel peaceful (little p) all the time, to sit Calmly and Accepting of sometimes feeling afraid or bothered, and is even Happy to sit crying with a broken heart.

Even with the darkest clouds, the sky and moon are still shining ... seen or unseen by the eyes. No need to chase away all the clouds to have trust in this fact.

Gassho, J

stlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-21-2024 at 11:59 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

This morning I sat with knee pain and head full of dark thoughts and half remembered dreams that rise up at that time, pre-coffee.

I can’t say it was particularly peaceful, but that’s how Zazen often is for me; thundery clouds on a dark night, with occasional glimpses of the starlit sky through gaps.

Satlah
    Myojin

Quote Originally Posted by Myojin View Post
    This morning I sat with knee pain and head full of dark thoughts and half remembered dreams that rise up at that time, pre-coffee.

I can’t say it was particularly peaceful, but that’s how Zazen often is for me; thundery clouds on a dark night, with occasional glimpses of the starlit sky through gaps.

Satlah
    Myojin
    Me too, Myojin. Up at 2am because of the knee pain. Somehow it's the hardest hour. Monkey mind doesn't cover it: there is the whole zoo.

Sat today
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
    Me too, Myojin. Up at 2am because of the knee pain. Somehow it's the hardest hour. Monkey mind doesn't cover it: there is the whole zoo.

Sat today
    Tom
    I used to think of it as my menagerie of little imps and demons, it’s really a jungle in there.

Over the years I’ve given up on the idea of inner peace, the mind is what it is, and it’s not stopping for me.

Another kind of peace is found in the decision not to fidget over these things, rather than stopping them. You can’t till water with your hand, you just have to leave it alone.

Gassho
    Myojin

[When I sit, I argue with my wife.
    Complete yes, but peaceful…?]

...do you win?

ST
    LAH
    Gassho!
    護道 安海

-Godo Ankai

I'm still just starting to learn. I'm not a teacher. Please don't take anything I say too seriously. I already take myself too seriously!

Quote Originally Posted by Ankai View Post
    [When I sit, I argue with my wife.
    Complete yes, but peaceful…?]

...do you win?

ST
    LAH
    While sitting, always
    Otherwise, never

Gassho, Hōzan
    Satlah

I used to think of it as my menagerie of little imps and demons, it’s really a jungle in there.

Over the years I’ve given up on the idea of inner peace, the mind is what it is, and it’s not stopping for me.

Another kind of peace is found in the decision not to fidget over these things, rather than stopping them. You can’t till water with your hand, you just have to leave it alone.

Gassho
    Myojin

Shikantaza is the only meditation practice that I've ever stuck with for longer than a month (I've tried a few!) There is indeed something very different about it.

Gassho,
    SatLah
    Chikyō
    Chikyō 知鏡
    (KellyLM)

I've heard not only in this community that the means are the ends.

Gasshō

stlah, Kaitan
    Kaitan - 界探 - Realm searcher
    Formerly known as "Bernal"

One of the very first video talks I ever made at Treeleaf, now lost to time I think, was me trying to quiet and still a bowl of swirling water by slapping the water down, then trying to push down the waves with my hand. Of course, that just made more waves and disturbance.

Then, I just left it alone, and it settled on its own.

I should redo that old skit.

Gassho, J

stlah

Satlah
    Myojin
    Kyōdō Shujin 教道 守仁

thundery clouds on a dark night, with occasional glimpses of the starlit sky through gaps.
    Sometimes there is only sky. We are this sky.

Sometimes there are clouds, with glimpses of sky.

Sometimes there are only clouds, not a hint of sky. At those times, we must keep trust in our bones that the sky is still there, even though not seen.

For the sky is always there, seen or unseen, on even the stormiest day ...

... and (though hard to realize sometimes) even the clouds are just the sky.

We need not demand to always see the open sky, and that there are never clouds.

Gassho, J

stlah

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    One of the very first video talks I ever made at Treeleaf, now lost to time I think, was me trying to quiet and still a bowl of swirling water by slapping the water down, then trying to push down the waves with my hand. Of course, that just made more waves and disturbance.

Then, I just left it alone, and it settled on its own.

I should redo that old skit.

Gassho, J

stlah
    This used to come up in Aikido classes when describing to to keep one-point (臍下の一点), you can no longer force it than you can still water with your hands, you just have to stop fussing.

For some reason this comes to mind:

Sattday
    Myojin