Thread: [HealthDharma] Turning Suffering Inside Out read along

[HealthDharma] Turning Suffering Inside Out read along

Dear all

Now that the book club book of Zen Teachings in Challenging Times is drawing to a close, I intend to begin our read along of Darlene Cohen's Turning Suffering Inside out in two weeks time, on Monday 19 February 2024.

So, if you wish to join in with that, it would be great to have a copy of the book by then. In terms of accessibility options, there is sadly no audio version currently available but a Kindle version does exist which I believe could be used with text to speech or text enlargement.

We will read a chapter of the books each week (or part of a chapter depending on length) and I will post a brief summary of the section together with prompt questions, but feel free to discuss anything in the section that speaks to you, and how it resonates with your own experience.

I look forward to doing this together.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Dear all

Now that the book club book of Zen Teachings in Challenging Times is drawing to a close, I intend to begin our read along of Darlene Cohen's Turning Suffering Inside out in two weeks time, on Monday 19 February 2024.

So, if you wish to join in with that, it would be great to have a copy of the book by then. In terms of accessibility options, there is sadly no audio version currently available but a Kindle version does exist which I believe could be used with text to speech or text enlargement.

We will read a chapter of the books each week (or part of a chapter depending on length) and I will post a brief summary of the section together with prompt questions, but feel free to discuss anything in the section that speaks to you, and how it resonates with your own experience.

I look forward to doing this together.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
    Hi Kokuu,

I’m very much looking forward to reading this book with like minded folks who experience chronic health conditions.

Thank you for putting all of this together, Brother

Gasshō,

On

Sat today/LAH

Hello Kokuu,

My copy of the book arrived a few days ago and I am really looking forward to this read along.

Thank you for organizing this.

Gassho

Alina
    stlah

Gonna try to see if I can get it before the start date. If I can't can I still join when I do get it, just read up to where everyone else is at?

Also as a first time book club attendee where will the read along happen exactly?

Gasshō, Ryker

Sat/Lah

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Gonna try to see if I can get it before the start date. If I can't can I still join when I do get it, just read up to where everyone else is at?

Also as a first time book club attendee where will the read along happen exactly?
    Of course, please join whenever you get the book and if you do not have it next week let me know and I can scan the first part for you.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Of course, please join whenever you get the book and if you do not have it next week let me know and I can scan the first part for you.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
    Oh wow thank u so much!
    I will let ya know, I hope I can so u don't need to go thru the trouble.

Also I take it, the read along with be in the schedule on certain days during the week?

Gasshō, Ryker
    Sat today

Dear Kokuu,

I have bought the book on Kindle. I am very much looking forward to the read-along with you and everyone! Thank you for this opportunity.

Gassho,
    Austin

stlah
    There is a very simple way to become Buddha. Do not commit unwholesome actions; be without attachment to life and death; show profound compassion for all sentient beings; respect those above and have pity for those below; do not have a heart of likes and dislikes, aversions or desires, nor thoughts and worries about things. This is to become Buddha. Do not search someplace else.

–Dōgen, Shōji

Also I take it, the read along with be in the schedule on certain days during the week?
    The way we do it is actually by reading on our own and then posting our thoughts on thread. I have thought about having a Zoom group but typically finding a workable time for everyone is hard.

If that was something people really wanted (and I like that way of studying together) we could try it, though?

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

I have bought the book on Kindle. I am very much looking forward to the read-along with you and everyone! Thank you for this opportunity.
    Great to have you and everyone else along!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Oh alright that sounds great, and we post it here or on another thread?
    Is there a certain time frame for each chapter to post?

Gasshō, Ryker
    Sat today

Oh alright that sounds great, and we post it here or on another thread?
    Is there a certain time frame for each chapter to post?
    There will be a new post for each week/chapter. There is no time frame to post although keeping up with weekly is good if you can. If people fall behind I often also have a rest week to allow for catching up.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

I look forward to this book discussion, and am fortunate that I have the Kindle version (which in my experience has text that is easily adjusted for size, typeface, and readability).

Thank you, Kokuu.

Gassho
    Meian sat-lah
    Last edited by Meian; 02-22-2024 at 04:59 PM.
    My life is my temple and my practice.

It's a bit late in the day, but I hope to be able to join in!
    Frankie Meitou
    Sat today.
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Absolutely! We don't start until Monday!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Quote Originally Posted by Meitou View Post
    Frankie Meitou
    Sat today.
    Good to hear from you again Meitou

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Quote Originally Posted by Tairin View Post
    Good to hear from you again Meitou

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    Yes

Doshin
    Stlah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am really looking forward to this read-along and participating in the discussions.

steve
    - sat/lah -

Looking forward to read with all of you!

Gasshō

stlah, Kaitan
    Kaitan - 界探 - Realm searcher
    Formerly known as "Bernal"

Looking forward to following along with another good book!

Gassho,
    Shinchi
    STlah

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Thank you Tairin and Doshin, good to see you and be here, I just need to remember now how to use the forum!
    Gassho
    Meitou Sat
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

How wonderful you are reading Darlene's book. I was fortunate to be a student of hers a few years before she passed, what a great teacher. I would love to join in on the reading of her book with you all.

Gassho,
    Brett

That is so lovely you got to be Darlene's student, Brett. She seems like she was a very wise and pragmatic woman.

Please feel free to join in our reading of the book.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-