Thread: Death and life

Death and life

I am struggling today with the reality of death. There were two deaths in my family yesterday: my aunt's beloved husband at age 96, long expected, and my dear cousin of sudden cancer, unexpected. As I feel my own grief and empathy for my loved ones who are grieving, I'm also flooded with memories of other losses (all concentrated in this season).

It's the absoluteness of death. There is a boundary that is crossed, the person present and then suddenly and completely not present. The border between the old life and the new life without them. The world's loss of these beautiful people. My aunt has her wonderful memories but will never feel the loving touch of her husband or see his smile or work side by side in the garden with him. I will never see my cousin's kind smile or hug him; he will never take another photograph. I will never laugh with my sweetheart again; she will never teach another child.

And yet, and yet--being here and present at the crossing point, the edge (I was with my aunt during much of the long quiet waiting at the end of my uncle's life, breathing in each moment with her, just this, just this), I have a taste of beginningless and endless love and time, the still point opening out to something that holds it all. Just a taste.

I'm not sure what I'm asking. How to both feel the human grief and also find my way back to that open space. How to know the meaning of this profound moment.

In deep gassho,

Do Mi
    sat and lah

My heart is with you, DoMi.

Gassho
    Sat and lah
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Do Mi,

I don't know if there is an answer to your question, nor a question that you haven't already answered with your well worded post. While death is straightforward, the loss is incomprehensible. It's understandable why most turn away from that absoluteness and towards more palatable understandings. To be honest, your being present (in both meanings) during those moments is inspiring and represents the best that can be done. So sorry for your losses.

Gassho,
    Koriki

s@lah

We will dedicate our sitting, and offer Metta, for your aunt's husband, your cousin, and all who loved them.

In this way, death does seem so final, a boundary crossed, before and after in time, loss and our hearts break.

And yet, one also tastes something with no beginning nor end, all borders and boundaries dropped away, timeless, nothing ever lost, a heart which cannot be broken.

Gassho, J

stlah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I know that hard feeling too-- I think we all must end up feeling it at many points in life-- of that moment of crossroads, when you reach the point where you must go on without them. There is almost a sweetness in the complete reality of it, that makes living so precious, but it is also very painful.

stlah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Tai Do
    Satlah

Gassho, Onkai
    Sat lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Gassho
    Washin
    stlah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Doshin

Stlah

Gassho, Michael
    Satlah

合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Gassho,
    Seikan

-stlah-
    聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

Between here

and here

is everything

and nothing

not so much

at the same time

as that the nothing that is everything is as you have said:

"just this, just this"

raihai
    raihai
    raihai

ds sat today
    Visiting priest: use salt

Thank you, thank you, thank you, all. You helped me.

Gassho,

Do Mi

The new life without them.

My experience with losing loved ones has always felt like Iv been left suddenly homeless. As if Iv been forced from my home, my safety, my routine, my security entirely against my will, and have been forced to start over again. There is a kind of beauty to grief though, hows its proportional to how much you love them, and will continue to love with them without them at your side.

Sending all love from my family to yours.

Gassho
    Keith

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Gasshō
    Seiko
    stlah
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光
    (Stubborn Way of Pure Light)

My street name is 'Al'.

Any words I write here are merely the thoughts of an apprentice priest, just my opinions, that's all.

Metta to you and your loved ones Do Mi.

Gassho,
    SatLah
    Kelly