Thread: NYT article: Longquan Monastery, China

NYT article: Longquan Monastery, China

Article in yesterday's New York Times on a resurgence in Buddhism in China, thought it might be of interest:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/08/wo...=66575593&_r=0

Gassho
    Kim
    Sat today
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Hello,

Thank you for the link.

Gassho
    Myosha
    sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Mp
    Thank you for the share Kim. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Quote Originally Posted by allwhowander View Post
    Article in yesterday's New York Times on a resurgence in Buddhism in China, thought it might be of interest:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/08/wo...=66575593&_r=0

Gassho
    Kim
    Sat today

Thank you, Kim, and reading it I found some precious words that applies to all of us here:

(...)But the leader of the monastery, the Venerable Xuecheng, who dispenses bits of wisdom every day to millions of online followers, has defended his approach, saying that Buddhism can stay relevant only by embracing modern tools. In a computer-dominated world, he has said, it is no longer realistic to expect people to attend daily lectures.
    “Buddhism is old and traditional, but it’s also modern,” he said in an interview in March with the state-run news agency Xinhua. “We should use modern methods to spread the wisdom of Buddhism.”
    Say, thanks to Jundo, we are all vanguardists.

"(...)Now a new generation has arrived. They wear hoodies, watch television shows like “The Big Bang Theory” and use chat apps to trade mantras.(...)

(...)The temple is run by what may be some of the most highly educated monks in the world: nuclear physicists, math prodigies and computer programmers who gave up lives steeped in precision to explore the ambiguities of the spiritual realm.(...)

(...)It reopened in 2005, and it is now equipped with fingerprint scanners, webcams and iPads for studying sutras, or Buddhist texts.(...)"
    Yes! and seems that (we) nerds gonna rule new buddhism! :P

---

Jundo, do you know what school of buddhism Longquan stands for? How is modern Chan methods? Have you been there?

Gassho
    Last edited by Kyosei; 09-08-2016 at 02:07 PM.
    _/|\_

Kyōsei

強 Kyō
    声 Sei

Namu kie Butsu, Namu kie Ho, Namu kie So.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post

Jundo, do you know what school of buddhism Longquan stands for? How is modern Chan methods? Have you been there?

Gassho
    Hi Marcos,

No, I do not know them personally.

Generally, much of Chinese Chan Buddhism these days would be very much mixed with Pure Land worship of Amida Buddha (for example, people interested in meditation would meditate on the thought of Amida, or they might chant to Amida for rebirth in the Pure Land in the next life). There is more emphasis on ritual and ceremony and aspects of ancestor worship and "luck" bringing amulets and rituals than in most Western Zen these days. Many modernizers (sounds so here) are trying to reach out more to lay people to make the teachings relevant to home life, personal problems, the work place.

I am speaking too generally here, especially as I do not know these folks. I certainly will try to know more.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

That's partly why it took me so long to come into Buddhism, despite having researched it several times before coming to TreeLeaf. I'm not an amulet or demigod person, but i don't mean that as an insult, it's just not me.

I do very much appreciate modernization while keeping the essence of ancient concepts that honor the core of Buddhist teachings and practices, while also remaining flexible and open to further changes as needed or appropriate. It's a delicate balance, but one that i think TreeLeaf does well and carefully, and it sounds like Longquan has some good ideas also. Something to watch, regardless

Gassho
    Kim
    Sat today

I already say strange things without autocorrect's help.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Traditionalists worry that Longquan’s flashy high-tech tools may have muddled the teachings of the Buddha, the dharma.
    I must say I was initially apprehensive about TreeLeaf for similar reasons but have been impressed by Jundo's and everyone's attempt here to keep the focus on practice and study. It is as real as you let it be.

Gassho
    Warren
    Sat Today

Interesting article. Thank you for the share

Gassho
    Washin
    sat today

Thank you for the link!

I just watched the animations. They are fantastic!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I am glad this was well received. As for TreeLeaf's setup, I would not be able to practice, learn or apply Buddhism to my life (or volunteer in what i am now working on) if TreeLeaf did not exist. For me, and for those who have benefitted from TreeLeaf indirectly through me - this modern virtual adana sangha style is a very real blessing.

Gassho
    Kim
    St

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk