Thread: To follow the pain

To follow the pain

Hello,

thank you for letting me express myself.

May all find peace, no matter when, no matter where. Svaha!

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Thank you Hans. You've given much to consider in my practice.

Gassho

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Mp
    Thank you Hans ... I enjoyed that.

Gassho
    Michael

Hi Hans - I think you've expressed in a nutshell what practice is aimed towards.

Zen has nothing to offer our natural states of altruism/care - this is what comes easy. Changing what we kick/rail against - whether by inward thought or outward action seems to be the point.

In any situation, when the anger transforms, the empathy increases, the flexibility loosens - we have a real sense of change.

Action can bring about mental change, mental change can bring about action. The focus of this is pain - the suffering within ourselves reflecting the suffering of the world. This is all one.

And this is not only Zen. The I and Thou of Martin Buber, the quest toward actualizing unconditional love within the trials of life laid out by Christ, the faith demanded by Levinas that requires us to believe that love without reward is valuable.

A light to guide us comes from so many sources of experience and knowledge.

Perhaps the faith required here - at Tree Leaf - is that the light of Zen also shines brightly.

Gassho

Willow

Yeah some of the stuff that pops up is a surprise but I always remember what Buddha said,' The past is a memory, the future is unknown, now is the knowing.' This helps get me through memories and thoughts that have created their own cycles. Thank you Hans for bringing this up, this is the work place of zazen.
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Nindo
    Thank you Hans, well said.

Yugen
    Hans,
    Your talk touches something deep and raw in my practice. I am on the edge of something; whether it is realization of all my projections of the world around me; my complacency, the narrative of my life I have created - my practice is very unsettling right now -it is not the reassuring presence of calmness or haven I have sought - it is the nakedness of uncertainty of what lies ahead; the unfamiliarity of myself - Am I ready to leave the comfort of my emotional surroundings, do I have a choice? I will listen to your talk again... thank you and a deep bow

Yugen

Thanks for sharing these thoughts with us.

Gassho,

Richard

Pow!!

Thanks for this, Hans. It's a keeper.

Gassho

Jen

Hans,
    Thank you for your teaching. Much to sit with.
    Gassho
    Myozan

Dear Mongen,

You hit the spot in a lot of levels on this deluded mind. Yes, our practice is to be about action, not just reading or sharing nice images on Facebook.

And facing our inner dragons to set us free.

Thank you,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thank you, Hans. Much to digest.

_/\_
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Thank you Hans. Something I have been thinking deeply about due to situations that are occuring in my life right now.

Gassho,

Glow

Strong stuff, thank you Mongen,
    _()_
    Myoku

Hello everyone,
    just yesterday I read a bit which fits pretty well here. Its from the book Taigu recommeded "Zen Questions" from Taigen Dan Leighton, chapter Hongzhi, Dogen and the background of Shikan Taza, the "The Trap of Passivity" part, i quote only a tiny fraction of it:

"Just sitting can indeed sometimes degenerate into dull attachment to inner bliss state, with no responsiveness to the suffering to the surrounding world."

and just a few sentences later

"The meditation advocated by both Hongzhi and Dogen is firmly rooted in the bodhisattva path and its liberating purpose of assisting and awakening beings. Mere idle indulgence in peacefulness and bliss is not the point"

Gassho
    Myoku

Kyotai
    Thank you Hans. Very direct, but what I certainly needed to here.

Gassho

Shawn