Thread: August 30th-31st Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

August 30th-31st Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

Hello All,

Please 'sit-a-long' with our weekly FRIDAY/SATURDAY 'LIVE FROM TREELEAF' 90 minute ZAZENKAI, netcast from 10am Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 9pm, Los Angeles 6pm (Friday night), London 2am and Paris 3am (early Saturday morning)

... and to be visible on the following screen during those times and sit-a-long-able any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST IS HERE:

ZAZENKAI BEGINS --10-- MINUTES FROM START OF THE VIDEO

FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, A LINK TO JOIN WILL BE POSTED BELOW IN THIS THREAD. JUST CLICK AND JOIN BEFORE START TIME. 'TWO WAY' REQUIRES INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANYONE CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED::

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS

As you can see, our Zazenkai consists of chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in English (the words are at the link below), some full floor prostrations in sets of three (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), followed by our Dedication, Zazen twice for about 30 minutes each, with 10 minutes of Kinhin in between, and we end the sitting with 'The Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'.

Please join us in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra (although please keep your microphone muted). You can download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

Not everyone realizes that they can join in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra, Verse of Atonement and Four Vows (although we ask that you keep your microphone down). Please follow along with the Chant Book, and let your voice ring!

So, please join us as soon as you can, and we will keep a Zafu open for you.

Remember, when we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-05-2019 at 02:03 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Thank you Jundo,

I will be there live with instruments ready. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Mp
    Hey folks,

Google has retired the "Hangouts on Air" feature we've used in the past for the Zazenkai. From now we will be using a tool called "Zoom." This is free to all who sit the Zazenkai. The Zazenkai will also be streamed one-way on youtube (as before, it will be posted here about 10 minutes prior to the Zazenkai).

Join Zoom Meeting
    https://zoom.us/j/8166671365

If you have not installed Zoom, following the above link will walk you through installing Zoom as an app on your mobile device or as a desktop client under Windows, Mac, or Linux. If you have already installed the Zoom desktop client or mobile app, you can use the link above, or simply open Zoom and join with the following meeting id: 816 667 1365

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Hi Jundo!

I'll be there live

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I plan to be present live

gassho
    doyu sat today
    Visiting unsui: use salt

I will sit one way or two way.

I do not know new system of one way.

Gassho
    LAH
    Sat today
    Kakunen

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Thank you Jundo. I will sit OD Saturday and Sunday morning as usual.

Sat /lah

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Quote Originally Posted by Kakunen View Post

I do not know new system of one way.
    Same as always, but the screen is posted above at sitting time, Kakunen.

いつもと同じ。

Gassho, Jundo

sitting with you all live one-way.

_()_
    sosen
    stlah

Sitting live one-way.

Gassho,
    Wuyi
    Sat/LAH
    無依 Mui
    "Relies on Nothing"

Thank you all who sat or will sit. May you avoid the wacks

Gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Thank you, Jundo, Shingen, and everyone. It is wonderful to practice together over different spaces and times. Have a great weekend!

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/LAH

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Thank you all. Loved the talk Jundo.

Deep bows,
    Sekishi
    #sat
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Mp
    Thank you Jundo and everyone, great to sit with you all. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Thank you everyone!

Gassho
    Washin
    ST
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Thank you for another Zazenkai. Much gratitude to this sangha and its teacher for sharing the Buddhadharma with the world.

Gassho,
    Wuyi
    Sat/LAH
    無依 Mui
    "Relies on Nothing"

Gratitude to the earth and all dragons. Thank you, Jundo, Shingen. _()_

gassho
    doyu sat/lah today
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Ummon showed his staff to a group and said, "The staff has turned into a dragon and swallowed the universe. Where can you find the mountains, rivers, and earth?" "

Comments by Tenkei on Blue Cliff Record Case 60:
    “The whole universe has been swallowed ― where are the mountains, rivers and earth found: Also, though the universe has been swallowed, the mountains, rivers, and earth are still there, just as they are; whence did it come to be this way? Is this after all the ultimate point of this koan of Ummon? Here if you say the staff has turned into a dragon your blind; but if you say the staff is just a staff, the universe and world are just as they are, and there is no such thing as a staff turning into a dragon and swallowing the universe, then you are dead to the domain of unconcern, with the independently manifest potential of Ummon. So anyway, is there such a thing? Is there not? What about it? In this way Ummon pressed people to try to say. Ummon’s help for people is ultimately not in the existence or nonexistence of the staff.”

Hello Everyone,

I'll sit later today when I have some time. As always, thank you Jundo, Shingen, and all Tree Leaf Sangha.

Deep Bows,

Brad

SatLah

Thank you all.
    Gassho,
    Kotei swallowed the Universe and lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thank you everyone. I sat with you this morning.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Thanks to all. Was able to sit this zazenkai Saturday afternoon. What stick? There is no stick. But there is a stick.

Gassho
    STLah
    James

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Thanks to all. Was able to sit this zazenkai Saturday afternoon. What stick? There is no stick. But there is a stick.

Gassho
    STLah
    James
    That is my stick shtick ...

A shtick is a comic theme or gimmick derived from the Yiddish word shtik ... a gimmick, comic routine, style of performance, etc.

Gassho, J

STLah

Nenka

ST

August 30th-31st Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

Thank you all, I sat via recording.

It didn't record the people who were connected live. I recall last week's recording did.

I enjoy seeing the ones who are connected via two-way Zoom, makes it feel more like I'm watching live.

Gassho,
    Kevin
    Sat
    Last edited by Kevin M; 09-02-2019 at 02:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin M View Post
    Thank you all, I sat via recording.

It didn't record the people who were connected live. I recall last week's recording did.

I enjoy seeing the ones who were connected via two-way Zoom, makes it feel more like I'm actually there.

Gassho,
    Kevin
    Sat
    Ooops. maybe somebody forgot to push the buttons!

We have a new term for a Zazen Ino who also does the control buttons ... our Tech-Ino.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Thank you all.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

I sat with you all this morning. Thank you Jundo and everyone who made this possible.

Gassho,

Neil

StLah

Thank you Jundo and everybody for this Zazenaki.
    A good week to all treeleafers.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat today/LAH
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

Thank you Jundo and all.

I sat with you all this morning.

I really would like to know how Doyu answered your question about the "stick"/kotsu.

Gassho
    krissy
    ST/LAH
    Thank you for teaching me.

I am very much a beginner and appreciate any words you may give me.

Thank you all!

Gassho
    Kokuu

Thanks everyone
    sean
    sat.lah