Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Treeleaf Full Moon Precepts Recommitment Ceremony - Ryaku Fusatsu

Treeleaf Full Moon Precepts Recommitment Ceremony - Ryaku Fusatsu

UPDATE: time has changed to 17.00 UK time (12.00 EST, 9.00 PST, 18.00 Central Europe), Thursday 28 January

Dear all

Since early Buddhist times, it has been traditional for sanghas to gatha together once or twice a month (at the full and new moon) and recite the monastic training rules.

In our Sōtō tradition, this has become a ceremony known as Ryaku Fusatsu which translates as “abbreviated or simple ceremony to continue doing good”.

Going forward, we hope to offer this ceremony on Zoom as a totally optional part of Treeleaf, for those who would like to symbolically recommit to taking the precepts. Practically, it is an excellent way to remind ourselves of the vows we have taken and what they mean.

This is a lovely small piece with some more information on the ceremony and its origins: http://broken-bokken.blogspot.com/20...u-fusatsu.html

My intention is to have the first of these ceremonies this coming Thursday (28 January) at 17.00 UK time in the Meeting Room. It will probably last around 30 minutes, including a brief period of Zazen. It will be recorded so those who cannot attend live can still join in.

If you would like to take part, please message me with an offline email address so I can send you the ceremony text, or I may figure out a way to upload it somewhere it can be downloaded!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    Last edited by Kokuu; 01-26-2021 at 01:38 PM.

Kokuu,

This sounds wonderful. I'm definitely interested, but I'll most likely have to participate with the recording most months as this would be during my work hours. I'll be there "live" in spirit though.

Gassho,
    Seikan

-stlah-

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
    聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

Sounds wonderful and goes beautifully with where I am in practice(rereading Mind of Clover). I think I will sit this one with the recorded version first so I can learn and then join the Sangha with what sounds like a beautiful practice.
    Thank you for making this available to us all.

Dave
    SAT/LAH

Here is a PDF of the ceremony, which should be available for anyone to view as well as download here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LMx...ew?usp=sharing

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I wish to take part, but cannot guarantee my childrens sanity during the ritual.

Ill definatly follow the recording!

LaH
    SaTtoday.

Meditate twice.
    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

Hi Kokuu,

This sounds wonderful.
    I wish to join, but this Thursday is a bit tricky for me. However I will sit with the recording and next time hope to be there with you live

Gassho,
    Eikyō/Dee
    Sat

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I'm grateful for this, thank you for organising this ceremony. I'll sit with the recording.

Gassho
    Sat

I've never done this before; i look forward to sitting along to the recordings and doing this. This would be 6 o'clock in the morning for me, which is really early (i wake up at 8 o'clock) so the recording is a great boon. Thank you.

Gassho, John
    ST/LAH

This is great!

I hope that once things settle down here that I can be part of this

Gassho,
    Kyōsen
    SAT|LAH
    橋川
    kyō (bridge) | sen (river)

This would be during work hours for me, so I'll have to sit with the recording. Thanks for organizing this!

Gassho
    <ST>

2pm UK is 9am my time - I have a 9:30 am conference call; otherwise I'd be on. I'd love to join the recording.

Gassho

Risho
    -stlah

Hi Kokuu,
    This sounds wonderful. The ceremony will be during my work hours, but I will enjoy sitting with the recording.
    Gassho,
    Naiko (Krista)

Thank you Kokuu. Wonderful!

I'll join you recorded, as live is 3am (what a lightweight )

Gassho, Yokai sat/lah

Hi all

Thank you for your interest and comments.

14.00 UK time does not seem to be particularly good for anyone! Would another slot be better, either earlier or later?

Otherwise it may just be myself, Getchi, and Getchi's children with everyone else joining later!

The fact that full moons do not occur on any particular day means that it will fall on a weekday five times out of seven, or else there is also the option of moving it to the closest weekend. Would something like a Saturday be better for people?

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

I'm fine with any day. But as I mentioned I'd like to view it once or twice first. For myself personally, I vote to keep it on new and full moons.

Dave
    SAT/LAH

Definitely interested.

Dick

SAT/lah

i would say the same day at 17.00 UK Time would work better for myself. that way it may also be slightly more inclusive for everyone in N.A. as well (9.00 Pacific, 10.00 Mountain, 11.00 Central, 12.00 Eastern). I'm still fine with going along with the video later that day if necessary, but that's just my two cents.

Gassho, John
    ST/LAH

Thank you, Kokuu, for setting this up - I'm very interested. If 2pm UK time is 9am Eastern Time, I'm scheduled for zazen in the SSR at 9:30. Like John, 17:00 UK time would be good for me.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

I'm GMT+10 in Queensland, Australia but whatever is the most convenient time for Kokuu or other facilitators is fine with me.
    Thank you for the opportunity to engage with this practice. I'm looking forward to participating.
    Gassho
    Onka
    Sat today
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

17:00 UK time works well here too.
    I know it's hard to accommodate everyone so please no worries either way though! Grateful to you Kokuu for setting this up

Gassho,
    Eikyō/Dee

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I agree with Eikyo, I'm okay either way, since i know accommodating everyone is difficult.

Gassho, John
    ST/LAH

I'd love to participate, but not for the first, since I'll be **once again** traveling east to west. Thank you Kokuu for your good efforts, here.

Gassho,

Tōsei
    sat
    東西 - Tōsei - East West
    there is only what is, and it is all miraculous

Thank you all. 17.00 UK time sounds acceptable to more people so we will go with that this week.

In the future I will make a poll or similar to ask about different times and days.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

i had 16.00 CET in my agenda, but i am not sure i can make 18.00 CET...

aprapti

sat

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

This is a lovely idea. Count me in. Thank you Kokuu.

In Gassho
    Seiko
    stlah
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光
    (Stubborn Way of Pure Light)

My street name is 'Al'.

Any words I write here are merely the thoughts of an apprentice priest, just my opinions, that's all.

Sounds lovely. I expect that most times due to day of week and time differences I’ll end up sitting with the recording. Thank you for this opportunity Kokuu.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

i had 16.00 CET in my agenda, but i am not sure i can make 18.00 CET...
    I am sorry, Aprapti. I am trying to find a time that works for the most people.

After this one, I will make a poll.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Coolness! Question: can those who have never committed to the Precepts before participate and dedicate themselves?

Gassho, John
    ST/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    I am sorry, Aprapti. I am trying to find a time that works for the most people.

After this one, I will make a poll.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    no problem, Kokuu.. i'll see and if not: better luck next time ( Robert Aitken once was in Amsterdam and he told a story about a friend of him who said this every time he killed a cockroach.. )

aprapti

sat/lah

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

I will just note that the full moon is always shining, somewhere at all times, day or night, seen or unseen, north or south ... the moon is still the moon, hanging in space, full and whole, without one grain of moondust missing. It is not a matter of this hour or that.

Thus, it is always the full moon shining.

That is the time and place for your ceremony.

Gassho, J

STLah

Jundo: But that "somewhere" isn't always warm and toasty and you can't always get a drink of water. Do I still qualify for "small desires" ??

Aprapti: Biggest cockroaches I ever saw were in Saudi Arabia; How big are they?? We put racing colors on them

gassho, Shokai
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

GrasshopperMan;

can those who have never committed to the Precepts before participate and dedicate themselves?
    No problem, you definitely can join in.

gassho, Shokai
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

I'm definitely interested in attending live, count me in.

Gassho
    Heitou (John)(Sotozen73)
    SatToday
    Heitou
    平桃

Kokuu,

With the time change, I may be able to make the live session after all. Thank you for organizing and hosting this wonderful opportunity.

Gassho,
    Seikan

-stlah-

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
    聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

This sounds wonderful! I took refuge vows and bodhisattva vows in the Tibetan tradition. These look very similar to the vows I took. I will definitely attend.

Gassho
    Clinton
    Last edited by T@r0; 01-27-2021 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Spelling error

Is this meant for everyone who would like to commit to the path or is it only recommended for the ordained? As mentioned in my post to this thread I took refuge and bodhisattva vows in the Tibetan tradition and going by the PDF this looks very similar to the vows I took, the ritual is very different but the intention seems to be the same.

🤓 thank you

Coolness! Question: can those who have never committed to the Precepts before participate and dedicate themselves?
    Is this meant for everyone who would like to commit to the path or is it only recommended for the ordained? As mentioned in my post to this thread I took refuge and bodhisattva vows in the Tibetan tradition and going by the PDF this looks very similar to the vows I took, the ritual is very different but the intention seems to be the same.
    I am going to check with Jundo before pronouncing on this one!

T@r0, I first took the precepts in the Tibetan tradition also.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

I feel that it is fine for people to join in this ceremony, because the precepts are alive for us today, in how we live today with our daily thoughts, words and acts. So, I don't feel it necessary to have undertaken Jukai first.

However, sometime later, if folks which to make a more formal Vow and a deep statement, then they are invited to consider Jukai, to make closer study of the Precepts, to sew a Rakusu and reflect on the meaning in their practice and lives.

Gassho, J

STLah

Thanks Jundo and Kokuu! This interests me very much. As far as I can tell Jukai is the Zen version of formally taking refuge vows i.e committing oneself to the Three Jewels. I took formal refuge vows in the Tibetan tradition and I’d like to take Jukai because I’m not affiliated with the Tibetan tradition any longer, and the concept of Rakusu, is that like lay ordination? That also sounds appealing but as long as I don’t have to become a celibate lay practitioner 🤓

And on another note, since I’m in South Africa I’m two hours ahead of the UK so 16:30 is 14:30 here and I’m still at work at that time, so I’ll have to take the precepts once the recording of it has been uploaded. I look forward to it!

Thanks guys,
    Gassho ✨💫
    Last edited by T@r0; 01-27-2021 at 09:44 PM.

Thanks Jundo and Kokuu! This interests me very much. As far as I can tell Jukai is the Zen version of formally taking refuge vows i.e committing oneself to the Three Jewels. I took formal refuge vows in the Tibetan tradition and I’d like to take Jukai because I’m not affiliated with the Tibetan tradition any longer, and the concept of Rakusu, is that like lay ordination? That also sounds appealing but as long as I don’t have to become a celibate lay practitioner
    Hi T@r0

Yes, Jukai is lay ordination and formal taking of sixteen precepts. We start Jukai study at the beginning of our Ango ninety day practice period in early September and members wishing to take part also sew a Rakusu before the ceremony which takes place in mid January.

Lay ordination does not come with a vow of celibacy and neither does home-leaving ordination (Shukke Tokudo) outside of a monastic environment. As a result of Japanese history, ordained Buddhist clergy have been allowed to marry for some time. Jundo is married with children as are many of our ordained sangha.

Since you are two hours ahead, the ceremony will be at 19.00 your time tomorrow.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Hi T@r0

Yes, Jukai is lay ordination and formal taking of sixteen precepts. We start Jukai study at the beginning of our Ango ninety day practice period in early September and members wishing to take part also sew a Rakusu before the ceremony which takes place in mid January.

Lay ordination does not come with a vow of celibacy and neither does home-leaving ordination (Shukke Tokudo) outside of a monastic environment. As a result of Japanese history, ordained Buddhist clergy have been allowed to marry for some time. Jundo is married with children as are many of our ordained sangha.

Since you are two hours ahead, the ceremony will be at 19.00 your time tomorrow.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    That sounds wonderful! I hope to take Jukai at least. I’m sorry yes you’re right, 17:00 UK time would be 19:00 here, I was thinking in reverse 🔄 as I tend to do 😂

I’m definitely going to attend it live then!

Really looking forward to it!

Thank you again,

Gassho ✨💫

Lay ordination does not come with a vow of celibacy ...
    Well, I mean, it could! But it would be purely voluntary, and/or up to your partner. No obligation or encouragement to do so.

Nishijima Roshi has a funny story (although I don't think he intended it to be funny). When he Ordained as a priest in his 50's, already the father of a grown daughter, he wished to become celibate, but thought that he should consult with his wife. As he put it in Japanese, she said something like, "どっちでもいいよ," which might be loosely translated as, "Whatever, no big loss."

Gassho, J

STLah

hahaha

gassho

risho
    -stlah

😂 it’s not something my girlfriend would appreciate... yet 😅

Really looking forward to this ceremony today!

Gassho, John
    ST/LAH

Thank you, Kokuu and everyone. It was a beautiful ceremony.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

I agree! It was very fulfilling.

Gassho, John
    ST/LAH

Thank you all for coming. It was really lovely to share this with you!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Thank you all for coming. It was really lovely to share this with you!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    Thank you Kokuu! Thank you everyone! It was really amazing. I logged in from my girlfriend’s laptop so it showed my name as Tamryn, I’ll fix it for next time.

Gassho
    Clinton

I was just thinking, as I mentioned in the meeting there are quite a number of Tibetan Buddhist centres here in Johannesburg SA but not one Zen centre or group. Perhaps once this Covid thing is over, or when it’s reached a stage where people can interact a bit more personally, it would be good to start a Treeleaf affiliated group here. I’ll have to take Jukai first and learn much more, but I’ll put it out there, it’s something to aspire towards.

With my hopes

Gassho ✨💫
    Clinton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast