Thread: Buddha Basics Podcast 01 - Oodles of Buddha

Buddha Basics Podcast 01 - Oodles of Buddha

Dear All,

Our Zen of Everything Podcast takes a new turn, as Reverend Jundo (that's me) irreverently (yet somehow reverently too) dives into the basic history and teachings of Buddhism and Zen for both newcomers and fellow 'old Zen fools.'

Never in thousands of years of Buddhist history has there been a podcast like this, and that's not only because they did not have podcasts back then.

I will say what needs to be said, some things that shouldn't be said, some things best left unsaid, some things said best and said right, plus all that Zen stuff that really cannot be said in words anyway. Let's be serious when it is time to be serious, but also let's laugh together and not take our Buddhisty selves (and non-selves) too seriously.

In the coming weeks, we will cover all the fundamental Buddhist teachings, the old stories and tales, the Wisdom and Practices of our Zen Way ... 'splained in plain English, plus a few grains of salt. Guaranteed to be enlightening and timeless or, at least, fun, informative and illuminating, time well spent.

Here's our first episode of the new series ...

Buddha Basics 01: Oodles of Buddhas
    https://www.zen-of-everything.com/79

This is the first episode of our Buddha Basics series, which looks at the basics of Buddhism as never expressed before, featuring the irreverent comments of Reverend Jundo, a real Zen Roshi. No Buddha BS here. In this Buddha Basics episode, we look at why there are so many Buddhas, an infinite number of Buddhas, and who's who.
    We were really torn on a name for the podcast, but settled on "Buddha Basics" because that is what we will cover. Other names tossed out included: "Badass Buddhism," "Make Buddhism Great Again," "No Bull Buddhism" "Blasphemous Buddha Basics" and more. We settled on just "Buddha Basics," although it is actually short for:

And though our Zen way is beyond all likes and dislikes ... if you like the darn thing, please leave a positive ratings on iTunes! It really helps support the effort.

For more about the podcast, where to send your serious or silly questions ...

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...-ON-THE-AIR%21

You can also sign up by RSS, or hear it many places such as Spotify and Apple Podcasts (follow the links above).

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

Irreverent.png
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-04-2022 at 04:14 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hilarious. Informative. Playful and sincere. I loved it! Thank you for making the esoteric accessible.

SAT/LAH

This is great. I'm really looking forward to the rest of these!

Gassho,
    SatLah
    Kelly

I liked it. Looking forward to the 23.392 episodes that have to follow it considering the "we will discuss this in another episode"

Gassho, Artien
    Sat

Thank you, Jundo and Kirk. I enjoyed the dialogue.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Thanks Kirk and Jundo. I've been wanting more dharma study and this is a great addition.

Gassho
    ST

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk

Really good. Love the humor. Great to not be attached to even our most revered stories. And, I can likewise say that never before in over a thousand years of Buddhism has there been a comment such as this (cuz I just wrote it). Looking forward to more.

Gassho,
    Mark

S@2day

I like it, thanks guys!

Gassho
    Sat, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Thanks, Jundo and Kirk.
    It is very funny and insightful.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat/LAH
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

As a newcomer I recently found the podcast and have been enjoying it tremendously. Thank you.

Gassho
    Sat today.

Brian

Thanks Jundo and Kirk, I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to all the other episodes you mentioned you'll be recording.

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

I was waiting for Kirk to chastise you for your singing, Jundo.
    Especially since it was the Beatles.

Thank you both, as always!

Gassho,
    Nengyoku
    SatLah
    Thank you for being the warmth in my world.

I have warned Jundo about singing in the podcast…

Gassho,
    Ryūmon (Kirk)
    Sat
    流文

I know nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryumon View Post
    I have warned Jundo about singing in the podcast…

Gassho,
    Ryūmon (Kirk)
    Sat
    Our next meeting should be about using Melodyne! Make Jundo a singing superstar!

Sat Today
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

I absolutely love the podcast, and as a newer member here it’s fantastic to hear Kirk and Jundo “live”.

I hope everyone is well!

Gassho
    Casey
    Sat today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this is the first time I actually laugh out loud at a podcast, very good episode, sounds like a series with a lot of potential

I wish I had listened to this podcast when I was starting my journey! Though actually knowing what you are talking about makes it much more funny and informative.

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat&LaH

Greetings

Just checked out the podcast. It happily reminded me of a sort of Car Talk of Buddhism. Do any of these episodes feature a "guest"?

Gassho,
    AnGyo
    Sat Today

No, we haven’t had any guests; I’m not sure we ever will. But never say never.

Gassho,
    Ryūmon (Kirk)
    Sat
    流文

I know nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryumon View Post
    No, we haven’t had any guests; I’m not sure we ever will. But never say never.

Gassho,
    Ryūmon (Kirk)
    Sat
    I traditional Zen lingo, the "Host" stands for the Absolute unity, the "Guest" for the relative world of separate things. They can also stand for teacher and student.

But, in Zen, recall that the guest is precisely the host that is guesting, and the host is the guest that is hosting.

So our little Podcast is always full to the brim with Hosts and Guests.

An example from old Koan:

"The head monks of two parts of the meditation hall caught sight of each other and simultaneously gave a shout.

A monk asked the Master, 'In this case, was there any guest and any host, or wasn't there?'

The Master said, 'Guest and host are perfectly obvious!' Then the Master said, 'All of you -- if you want to understand what I have just said about guest and host, go ask the two head monks of the meditation hall.' "

(from The Zen Teachings of Master Lin-chi)
    Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-23-2022 at 11:25 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

So it's just you and me guesting and hosting and hosting and guesting and ghosting and hesting and toasting and resting and...

Gassho,

Ryūmon (Kirk)

sat
    流文

I know nothing.

Some would say we're all guests here.

Gassho,
    AnGyo
    SAT

Quote Originally Posted by AnGyo View Post
    Some would say we're all guests here.

Gassho,