Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time for Yugen's Sunday Zazenkai

Yugen

Time for Yugen's Sunday Zazenkai

I have consulted with Jundo and received his permission to offer a weekly Zazenkai in addition to our normal Friday night/Saturday morning one. We'd like to offer it at a different time so it is accessible to those who may have difficulty attending the present time slot.

I'm thinking early Sunday morning US time which would be afternoon in Europe as one possibility. During the week will be more challenging due to my work schedule, but I'm open to suggestions.

Ideas? Feedback?

Deep bows
    Yugen
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-18-2015 at 03:05 AM.

Joyo
    Early Sunday morning would work well for me. I'm usually up at 6 or 6:30 CST.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Kyotai
    I would certainly appreciate an alternate zazenkai time slot as Friday nights never work for me.

Gassho, Kyotai
    Sat today

What can I say?

Brilliant!

Gassho,
    Danny
    #sattoday

Hi Yugen,

That would work nicely for people who can't attend on Fridays. Count me in either for attending or hosting

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Hello,

The more, the merrier!

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

I think that would be around 10pm-midnight here in Australia, It would work out well for me, hope I can attend it regularly live!
    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

Mp
    Hello Yugen,

This is a wonderful idea ... Fridays work well for me, but if I can, I will be there to support you and the Sangha. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Early Sunday morning works for me as well.

Gassho,
    Ekai
    sattoday

Yes!

Gassho,

Shugen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Hi Yugen,
    I usually sit the Zazenkai on Sunday mornings (UK time), but it would be great to have the chance to sit live in the afternoon. I might not be able to make it every week, but it would be much easier than the current time!

_/\_
    Ade

Sat today

Yugen,

A great idea! Please let me know if I can support the effort in any way!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Kyotai View Post
    I would certainly appreciate an alternate zazenkai time slot as Friday nights never work for me.

Gassho, Kyotai
    Sat today
    +1

The best time for me would be somewhere around 7:30am CST on Sunday.

合掌
    ..sat2day•

Kyotai
    Yes, early would be good. 0600 CST (0700 EST would be fine). 0600 EST would be best, but whatever works.

Thanks Yugen

Gassho, Kyotai
    Sat today

I moved this thread into the Zazen Forum so more people will see it.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Sunday would be great.
    Gassho,
    David
    sattoday

Sunday would be great - as others have expressed; I just can't make friday nights.

Gassho,

Risho
    -sattoday

Yugen
    It looks like Sunday morning it is! I will plan to start in July; I have a few weekends coming up where I will be away and out of coomunication. I will post a schedule here shortly. I'm looking forward to practicing with you! We will be replicating the Friday night/Saturday morning schedule - a ninety-minute zazenkai.

Deep bows
    Yugen

Gassho,
    Danny
    #sattoday

Awesome! Thanks Yugen!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

That's great!

Sunday works for me!

sat today!

Gassho, Girai

Great, thank you! I'll do my best to be there live when I can!

_/\_
    Ade

Sat today

Yes, this is a great idea. Of course, one can always participate afterwards using the recording, but being able to 'be there' in real time adds another dimension.

Gassho
    Roland
    #SatToday

Hello! Sunday Mornings would be much better for me! Ney York Time here. Many thanks!

Gassho, Dylan, Sat Today

A nice alternative and/or additional sit. Thank you.

Randy, Sat Today

Early Sunday is a good time.
    Gassho

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

Sunday morning would be wonderful!

Gassho

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk
    Forever is so very temporary...

This is good news. I haven't sat live since the zazenkai was moved from Saturday afternoon UK time ...and Sunday is good for me also.
    Thank you Yugen
    Gassho
    Heisoku
    Sat today
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Yugen
    Greetings all,

Sunday morning zazenkai will start on July 19 at 830 AM Eastern time US (UTC -5). We will follow the same program and schedule as the present Friday night/Saturday morning zazenkai. Invites will go out on G+ just as with the present zazenkai. I'm looking forward to practicing together!

Deep bows
    Yugen
    Last edited by Yugen; 07-02-2015 at 02:08 AM.

Kyotai
    Thank you Yugen.

Gassho, Kyotai
    Sat today

Thank you, Yugen.
    I won't be able to attend the historical first ceremony, as I will be on vacation without wifi then.
    But I hope there will be many more and I really look forward to them.

Deep bows.
    Danny
    #sattoday

I will most definitely be there. Thank you, Yugen.

Gassho

#SatToday

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk
    Forever is so very temporary...

Thank you, Yugen. I will not be able to sit "live" every week, but many I will. Since i was never free for the other one, this is welcomed.

On a different subject, I'd appreciate instruction on protocol for zazenkai, as well as others sits. As well as the nuances of using G+. (Last time I sat live I had assumed my mic needed to be off so I turned it off. But when I tried to turn it back on to say hello at the end of the session, I accidentally exited instead.)

In the time I've been with Treeleaf, I've noticed variation in how things are done (some sitting groups gassho during the three bells that are rung prior to a zazen session; some do not). I noticed there's a lot of variation in bowing among participants. In other sanghas, there was instruction so we were on the same page. There may be a forum thread I haven't discovered, but perhaps other beginners are in the same quandary as I. I realize i could PM a priest, but if I'm confused about this, maybe others are too.

Excuse me for hijacking this thread. But a new zazenkai time might be a good occasion for a training session (or video). If it already exists, a link would be appreciated.

Gassho
    Meishin
    sat today

Hi Meishin,

In fact, Yugen is going to get a script to me this week for a film we are making that is going to hammer down all the "how to" and "when to" in the Zendo. Stay tuned.

Yugen, is it about ready?

Gassho, Jundo

Thanks Jundo and Yugen!

Gassho
    Meishin
    sat today

Yugen

New Zazenkai Time Slot?

Yes, I'd like to have this film available before we start the new zazenkai schedule. I apologize to all for my delay in getting this finished - I've been down and on a reduced schedule the last two weeks with a nasty respiratory virus.

Jundo, I will have the script finished this weekend. After you review perhaps we can film late next week.

Deep bows
    Yugen

sat2day
    Last edited by Yugen; 07-02-2015 at 05:04 PM.

Thank you Yugen for making this new Zazenkai time available. I look forward to sitting live with everyone.

Wonderful!

Rick
    Sat today

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Meishin,

Aside from Yugen's weekly zazenkai which will indeed have a "script," what is it that troubles you about the variations among sitting groups?

Figuring out how to roll with such things was a huge part of my practice when I first came to Treeleaf. I wouldn't trade in that confusion for anything!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Meishin View Post
    Thank you, Yugen. I will not be able to sit "live" every week, but many I will. Since i was never free for the other one, this is welcomed.

On a different subject, I'd appreciate instruction on protocol for zazenkai, as well as others sits. As well as the nuances of using G+. (Last time I sat live I had assumed my mic needed to be off so I turned it off. But when I tried to turn it back on to say hello at the end of the session, I accidentally exited instead.)

In the time I've been with Treeleaf, I've noticed variation in how things are done (some sitting groups gassho during the three bells that are rung prior to a zazen session; some do not). I noticed there's a lot of variation in bowing among participants. In other sanghas, there was instruction so we were on the same page. There may be a forum thread I haven't discovered, but perhaps other beginners are in the same quandary as I. I realize i could PM a priest, but if I'm confused about this, maybe others are too.

Excuse me for hijacking this thread. But a new zazenkai time might be a good occasion for a training session (or video). If it already exists, a link would be appreciated.

Gassho
    Meishin
    sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Dosho View Post
    Meishin,

Aside from Yugen's weekly zazenkai which will indeed have a "script," what is it that troubles you about the variations among sitting groups?

Figuring out how to roll with such things was a huge part of my practice when I first came to Treeleaf. I wouldn't trade in that confusion for anything!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Sat today
    Oh, this is so true! When in Rome, bow as the Romans bow! Flow with the differences.

Even here in Japan, I have yet to go to two Zazenkai in monasteries or temples where everything is done just the same ... and things will even sometimes change week to week depending on who is in charge ... yet each one will tell you that they are following "the Tradition"!

Gassho, J

SatToday

Sorry for mentioning my concern.

Gassho
    Meishin
    sat today

Joyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Hi Meishin,

In fact, Yugen is going to get a script to me this week for a film we are making that is going to hammer down all the "how to" and "when to" in the Zendo. Stay tuned.

Yugen, is it about ready?

Gassho, Jundo

This is great, would be a huge help. When practicing with everyone on g+ I always feel like there's a bit of a dance going on, and I do not know the dance very well so am fumbling along.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Yugen

New Zazenkai Time Slot?

Meishin,
    Your concerns and questions are legitimate. Do not apologize. The reality is that zendo etiquette and customs vary from zendo to zendo and lineage as well. Even in the same lineage or organization different teachers may have their own customs and variations.

Any guide we provide is not a "script" to be followed rigidly, but rather an introduction to customary etiquette and behavior in the zendo.

Knowing how and when to bow, or how to step in kinhin is not an inflexible order of practice but rather a guide which enables us to share in the richness of our tradition together - the last thing we want to do is give the impression of or produce rigidity in practice. While zen certainly has richness of tradition (and often inflexibility in monastic environments) there is a balance to be found today in balancing tradition with modernity, ritual with spontaneity and joy in practice.

I used to find zen ritual to be stifling and questioned its relevance to practice. Now I find it liberating and a portal through which I can join the stream of practitioners in the present, past, and future. Just as in zazen we join the stream of practitioners, when bowing or working at the altar we join together time and space - all who have come before us, will follow us, and practice with us in the present. It is a remarkable act of engaging .....

Do not apologize. Indeed, I am grateful for your question - it allows me to assemble my thoughts regarding the relevance of ritual to my own practice.

Deep bows
    Yugen

sat2day
    Last edited by Yugen; 07-05-2015 at 02:35 AM.

Thank you, Yugen

Gassho
    Meishin
    sat today

Meishin,

Yugen expresses this better than I, but he is quite correct when he said there is no need to apologize. I was just trying to give you a nudge to see if it was simply a matter of knowing protocol or if your pesky self was trying to alleviate discomfort at not knowing what to do.

For myself, my mind is always trying to fill the empty space, whether it be simple conversations or performing rituals. For quite a time the tea party and dokusan were absolute agony. But had I not chosen to face this issue and instead looked for a ritual to "save me" I most certainly would have missed a wonderful opportunity for practice. Now, don't get me wrong, the fear I speak of is still there! However, I am now better able to let it wash over me without believing that I shall surely drown.

Please always take my questions literally...I really wanted to know what concerned you. But if I gave you the impression that you should not have raised your concern, then it is I that should apologize.

Thank you for your practice.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Meishin View Post
    Sorry for mentioning my concern.

Gassho
    Meishin
    sat today

Dosho,

It was simply a matter of wanting to know protocol. There's really not much discomfort in this setting. But I have been in sesshins outside of Treeleaf where there was indeed discomfort when chastised by a teacher or senior practitioner for a misstep. (Like the time I did not properly line up my sandals outside the Zendo.)

No problem

Gassho
    Meishin
    sat today

Weekends area always difficult for me, but sunday afternoon will make it much more likely for me to be able to attend, and I will if I can! I would appreciate that very much!
    Gassho,

Ongen / Vincent
    Sat Today
    Ongen (音源) - Sound Source

Thank you, Yugen.
    The additional Zazenkai time slot on Sundays would be great..
    Gassho,
    Sergey
    sattoday

Thank you Yugen, this is so cool.

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Thank you for doing this Yugen.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    #SatToday
    Hondō Kyōnin