Thread: Treeleaf 10th Anniversary in 2016 and Thank You to Jundo and Fugen!

Treeleaf 10th Anniversary in 2016 and Thank You to Jundo and Fugen!

Treeleaf will have its 10 year anniversary in 2016! I would like to find some way for us to celebrate and thank Jundo, the founder, and everyone else who has helped to make Treeleaf into what it is today. Has anything already been planned to celebrate and commemorate? If not, are there some ideas the Sangha would like to propose?

Also, I have been thinking about how grateful I am to Treeleaf and its members for being a part of my life. Then with serendipity, during this week's Tea Party, we happened to discuss what makes the essence of Treeleaf. In other words, what could go away, and Treeleaf would still be Treeleaf? Each person has their own answer. My answer was that I enjoy every part of Treeleaf, but if you stripped each thing away one by one, as long as Jundo and Fugen were still here, in body, or spirit, Treeleaf would still be Treeleaf to me.

So, with both these ideas in mind, I thought I better take this opportunity to thank Jundo and Fugen and let them know of my deep appreciation and love for them. Thank you! Gassho, Grace.

Treeleaf is part of almost everything for me. Perhaps a special Zazenkai or retreat will commemorate this well. Perhaps cookies. Thank you Grace, Jundo, Fugen, and all.

Gassho, sat today
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Thank you Grace. I am sure that Sitting Zazen will be involved in any Celebration.

The original formulation was simply that there would be an online Zazen netcast each day for 9 years, where I would respond as I could to any email questions, maybe offer a little talk. We started that way, and then Treeleaf evolved into this, with all kinds of people sitting and a more interactive community. However, we all keep sitting each day, supporting each other.

By the way, the original Vow was only to keep the online sitting going for 9 years. So, we are running over our lease on life. Need to consider whether to renew.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I hope it is renewed, maybe Treeleaf can evolve into a online platform for self sufficient in life practice communities, maybe I'm over-enthusiastic on scope but Treeleaf was/is one of the main catalysts that enabled me to take Buddhism from a intellectual curiosity to something I want to do. Even if there is no renewal, I'm grateful for the contact I did get to help foster my own heart-mind.

Once I do finish my own reposturing at least in relation to shikantaza meditation I do hope to be available for at least some portion if not the whole of a anniversary sitting session.

SatToday

Metta,
    Greg

Sent from my ALCATEL ONETOUCH P310A using Tapatalk
    “A fine line separates the weary recluse from the fearful hermit. Finer still is the line between hermit and bitter misanthrope.” - Dean Koontz

Hi.

Thank you.
    This would not be
    possible without any of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Graceleejenkins View Post
    Treeleaf will have its 10 year anniversary in 2016! I would like to find some way for us to celebrate and thank Jundo, the founder, and everyone else who has helped to make Treeleaf into what it is today. Has anything already been planned to celebrate and commemorate? If not, are there some ideas the Sangha would like to propose?

Nothing really planned as far as i know, but looking forward to hear what people say..

Also, I have been thinking about how grateful I am to Treeleaf and its members for being a part of my life. Then with serendipity, during this week's Tea Party, we happened to discuss what makes the essence of Treeleaf. In other words, what could go away, and Treeleaf would still be Treeleaf? Each person has their own answer. My answer was that I enjoy every part of Treeleaf, but if you stripped each thing away one by one, as long as Jundo and Fugen were still here, in body, or spirit, Treeleaf would still be Treeleaf to me.

For me, Treeleaf is Treeleaf because of the people and interactions, the practice we have here, without that there would just be... nothingness?
    So, thank you, thank you for your practice.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

#sat2day
    Life is our temple and its all good practice
    Blog: http://fugenblog.blogspot.com/

I do not really know about the start of Treeleaf (maybe another occasion to make a video, how things came together??), the moving from there to here and so on.

But since this professional promo video by the East Bay Meditation Center, I've been thinking about what Treeleaf stands for or should be presented as standing for.
    For me, Jundo and many of the ordained and lay Sangha members I feel a connection with are Treeleaf, and the openness to people all over the world (provided they can access this technically and in language). Moreover, it is my Sangha because it has less barriers for people with health difficulties, restricted mobility or complicated work schedules.

On the other hand, if for some who do not know Treeleaf, we are the nutcases, would it be wise to emphasize that Treeleaf's main Bodhisattva project (in my view) is reaching out to, well, the nutcases, the bedridden, the people living in remote areas or working impossible schedules...?

Being open and welcoming to everyone, if they could and do attend a local zendo too or for some reason are not able to, this is what makes the great mixture of Treeleaf for me.

Thank you all for that.
    Deep bows.

Danny
    #sattoday

Of course, that Vow will be renewed for another 9 years!

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-27-2015 at 11:27 AM.

Thank you Jundo and all the priest for being great teachers. Not only in words but in actions in the Sangha. I appreciate all the lay people for practicing and making this Sangha possible. Deepest bows to all

..sat2day•合掌

Joyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post

Gassho, J

SatToday
    I am happy about that!

I too am so grateful for Treeleaf, Jundo, the priests, and all the people that practice here. I have learned so much in the 2 yrs I've been here, and it has been so beneficial to my life. Thank you to all that make Treeleaf what it is.

Many bows to you all

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Yugen
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyo View Post
    I am happy about that!

I too am so grateful for Treeleaf, Jundo, the priests, and all the people that practice here. I have learned so much in the 2 yrs I've been here, and it has been so beneficial to my life. Thank you to all that make Treeleaf what it is.

Many bows to you all

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today
    I am grateful to all of you - all who practice and have practiced, and those who have yet to discover Treeleaf. You give this place life.

Deep bows
    Yugen

sat2day

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Yugen View Post
    I am grateful to all of you - all who practice and have practiced, and those who have yet to discover Treeleaf. You give this place life.
    Yes, I agree 100% and do spread the love, thank you everyone! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

#sattoday

Ansan
    Ten Years! In some lives, that is a lifetime. In mine, TreeLeaf is my lifeline. If not for TreeLeaf and Jundo, I would not have been able to find myself buried in my own confusion and lack of resources. I am so very grateful and I honor everything that appears here from the Sangha to the priests, to its brave founder and our teacher, Jundo. I have only had access to this wonderful community for a few months, but it honestly has changed my life. Thank you everyone. Celebration is in order certainly for the decade of love but also for its support of our community headed by wisdom and compassion, our basic words of continuity.

Gassho,
    Ansan

SatandDancedToday

I am pleased to hear that Tree Leaf will be here in the years to come, as I have just found you all.

I am deeply grateful for the chance to practice with others here, as it is only possible for me to attend a Zen Center only a few times a year. Thank you all for what you do to bring life to this Sangha. I look forward to getting to know all of you in the future.

Gassho,
    Brooks sat today.

Ten Years! Wish I had found you a long time ago .. But better late than never. As a recent sangha member I have found folks to be helpful and supportive, Thank You. The Hangout sits have allowed me to consistently sit with others, that is a great blessing. I know not the history but I much appreciate the creativity and work that went into building this opportunity for so many of us.

And I very much share the joy Joyo expressed that you will continue, as I will with you.

Gassho,

Randy
    sat to day

My answer was that I enjoy every part of Treeleaf, but if you stripped each thing away one by one, as long as Jundo and Fugen were still here, in body, or spirit, Treeleaf would still be Treeleaf to me.

Yes, you need Jundo and Fugen for sure. And probably Dosho and Yugen and Kyonin too. Shingen, Sekishi, Joyo, and Shokai would be really nice. Also Rich, Raindrop, Danny B, Ishin, Nindo, Diazan, rculver, myosha, Jishin as well... damn it, all of treeleaf is what makes treeleaf to me.

By the way, the original Vow was only to keep the online sitting going for 9 years. So, we are running over our lease on life. Need to consider whether to renew.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    I think after 10 years we go on the moment to moment plan.

If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

Ah, I'm glad that by "all of treeleaf" you finally icluded yourself, Nengyo!

We are beyond time now. Beyond the time metre, that is unsurpassable indeed

Congratulations to that!

Gassho,
    Danny
    #sattoday

Quote Originally Posted by Calm Heart View Post
    I know not the history ...
    The long and rather dull story of how this place got started and who the service staff is ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...ull=1#post2592

Also, this ...

THE WORLD IS VIRTUAL, THIS SANGHA IS REAL
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...sangha-is-real

The first few years, there were many doubters about this place among rather more conservative and older folks in the Zen and wider Buddhist Community. As the years pass, and the generally good reports (and absence of reports of troubles) build year by year, the doubters seems to be growing less and less. That is good.

I am still surprised, though, that there seem to be no others online Zen projects with the scale of what we try to offer here (only some rather hesitant efforts). I thought that there would be so many places like ours by now. I am really not sure why we still seem to be it.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-28-2015 at 08:50 AM.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Haha! Wonderful!

Thanks to all of you here, I am able to renew my connection to Dharma and learn a new form of practice, one I had been interested in for a long while!

If you can reach a stay at home father on a mountain in rural Australia, then I think anyone can be taught, guided, supported!

Gassho, and very deep bows!
    Geoff
    SatToday.
    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

I am still surprised, though, that there seem to be no others online Zen projects with the scale of what we try to offer here (only some rather hesitant efforts). I thought that there would be so many places like ours by now. I am really not sure why we still seem to be it.

Hello there,
    apologies for not being much 'visibly' present the past couple of months. We have a heavy weight of health problems in our family and sitting has become difficult. I am trying to 'just be' in as peaceful state as possible - so although I can't put 'sat today' at the end of posts with any sense of veracity (I'm not 'formally' sitting) I still feel the anchor of everything I've learnt here in my daily life. I read the daily forums when I can because new members join and it helps to stay with the flow of things here and still feel part of our community.

Connected to Jundo's above question - I listened to Taigen's talk and really wished that there had been time to ask him to share in greater depth why he felt that he could not head up a sangha like Tree Leaf. I would have been really interested to hear his answer.

My own thoughts Jundo is that the work you do/have done to make Tree Leaf what it is immense. I think it has been a brave new venture that has gone from strength to strength and in years to come this will be duly noted.

Meanwhile - those of us here are truly aware of its worth - but I think it may be a hard act to follow because of all it has to offer - not least of all your time/dedication.

Willow

(hopefully will sit today)

The essentials of Treeleaf for me include one thing more than just sitting, and feeling the group energy to support sitting. For me, the one thing more is the embodied practice of both wisdom and compassion. It's participating in how Hotei takes this lifeWay out into the marketplace, even across the distances of the internet. It's taking it out on the road, so to speak, walking the talk.

Thanks to Jundo, and all the early adopters and supporters. And thanks to all those who show up even for the first time.
    Gassho, Shinzan
    sattoday

Padmasambhava went to Tibet, Bodhidharma went to China, and Jundo went to the Global Interface. Treeleaf is that important. Truly a trail blazer.

It is also my home Sangha, practice support, and inspiration.

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today

Hear Hear! Endless thanks to Jundo, the Sangha, and the novices who will carry Treeleaf forward

-satToday
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Wow, 10 years in 2016, that's wonderful. For me I think 2016 will be 7 years here. I was aware of jundo before that from other web forums and blogs, so it took quite awhile to appreciate his style -).
    There are so many wonderful people here and thanks to all.

SAT today
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

That is so cool! Thank you everyone!

Gassho,

Risho
    -sattoday

. . .I am still surprised, though, that there seem to be no others online Zen projects with the scale of what we try to offer here (only some rather hesitant efforts). I thought that there would be so many places like ours by now. I am really not sure why we still seem to be it.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    It is the spirit, of course.

Nothing more I can say right now. Such a wonderful 7 years sitting with Jundo and all of you of Treeleaf...

SAT TODAY
    Shozan

I also would like to say thanks to Jundo, Taigu, Fugen, Dosho, Shokai, Yugen, Kyonin, Shugen, Shingen an all the priests in training and all the support team that made this sangha possible.
    It is not only a great idea, but an idea that can change the life of many people. Like me of course. Everyone has his/her own story of how they came here, but it´s great to know that we are together now. In the same path. In the same Sangha.
    Gassho
    Miguel
    _(Sat today)_

From another newcomer... It didn't take long to realize that this is a very unique and wonderful group. I couldn't believe after just a few weeks how much I missed sitting with you all this past weekend when I was away, but I'll be darned if sitting with the videos doesn't still feel like the real thing (and of course they are...) Thank you all for making this an online home, with its doors open to all the travelers hoping to sit, practice and learn together.

Gassho,
    Sierra
    Sat(andwillbesitting)withYouToday

I was saying to someone the other day that spending time with fellow Treeleafers in Virginia last year was a wonderful experience, but looking back now I don't think of those sits as any more "real" than those I have everyday via G+.

A sit is a sit.

Deep bows to you all.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Sat today

wow thats been a long time. i've been at treeleaf for about 7.5 years now... that seems like it was a different place back then. much smaller and intimate. i must admit that i rarely read more than a few post now days and not even everyday but once twice a week (work and family and kids fill my time pretty tightly). back then i could of read all the post that were written that day.
    it really is wonderful to see how it has grown and touched so many people.
    although i barely post anymore and i dont read even a 10th percent of the posts and comments i still feel a part of treeleaf.

wonderful job Jundo. i wish to someday meet you and shake your hand and thank you in person. and maybe give you a big friendly hug

Gassho, Dojin (Sat today).
    I gained nothing at all from supreme enlightenment, and for that very reason it is called supreme enlightenment
    - the Buddha

Like everyone here I feel very grateful for Treeleaf and without the sangha members who have been, gone and stayed it would not be what it is now. Thank you Jundo and Taigu for being the teachers you are and I certainly can only be in awe of the effort that Jundo has put into nurturing this sangha. Treeleaf is like the moon in a dewdrop.
    Gassho to you all and to Jundo and the priests who keep the moon shining through.
    Heisoku
    Sat today.
    Last edited by Heisoku; 08-02-2015 at 06:41 PM.
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)