Thread: Nishiari's voice

Nishiari's voice

I am today deeply touched because for the first time and thanks to one of my beloved student I can read the words of Nishiari Bokusan on Genjokan. The depth of this guy cannot be matched. If only I could read Japanese to study in his company! Please, if you are somehow used to read Buddhist literarure, this book is for you! It is a must read for the priests in training!

Dogen's Genjokan, three commentaries, published by Counterpoint.

Maybe we could make it the next book to study after out beloved Book of Equanimity?
    What do you think, Bro?

Gassho

Taigu

Sounds good.

I have it on order for ages, but not yet arrived.

I also must say that most (not all) of the riffing on Dogen in the book of women teachers is fantabulous.

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hi.

Here's the link to amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Dogens-Genjo-K...e+commentaries

Thank you for your practice.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen
    Life is our temple and its all good practice
    Blog: http://fugenblog.blogspot.com/

Thank you Taigu,
    have it (literary) on my pile of books but currently busy reading two other commentaries by German teachers Doko Waskönig and Yudo Seggelke; I sometimes feel there are just too many commentaries appearing to read them before the next appears ;-)
    Myoku

Another one for my wish list.

Thank you, Taigu.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Hello,

thank you for highlighting this gem. That's what a birthday wish list was made for

Gassho- and may we all digest such depth of meaning with ever fresh beginner's mind stomachs,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Mp
    Update: Couldn't resist, so I ordered a copy via Indigo Books ...

Yes, another one for the list, thank you for this.

Gassho
    Shingen
    Last edited by Mp; 03-04-2013 at 04:45 PM. Reason: update

This is in my "to read" pile, too. I'm looking forward to reading it along with everyone else.

I'm reading the book Jundo mentioned (Receiving the Marrow) at the moment & am enjoying it very much. Above all, it's made me actually dive in and read the Shobogenzo (I've been too chicken up until now!! )

_/\_

Ade

Taigu,
    Must order a copy. I'll look into getting it.
    Gassho
    Myozan

Nindo
    Quote Originally Posted by Myoku View Post
    Thank you Taigu,
    have it (literary) on my pile of books but currently busy reading two other commentaries by German teachers Doko Waskönig and Yudo Seggelke; I sometimes feel there are just too many commentaries appearing to read them before the next appears ;-)
    Myoku
    Myoku, how do you find Doko's book? I have it on my wishlist.

Quote Originally Posted by Nindo View Post
    Myoku, how do you find Doko's book? I have it on my wishlist.
    I find it not easy to read, thought its not particular difficult either. I enjoy her view which is pretty helpful for me. Sometimes I find her language too complicate for the matter at hand; but this might just be me not seeing the matter clearly For me its a must read as its the only book with her comments on Shobogenzo. Hope this helps
    _()_
    Moyku
    Last edited by Myoku; 03-05-2013 at 06:52 AM.

Hello Nindo,

if I might add my two cents to your question as well

IMHO Doko's commentaries are very profound, yet for better and worse also very German in the way that sentences are put together etc. (well...the commentaries were written in German and she is German...so no real surprise there). What I mean is that in the last few decades, a lot of anglo-american academics and intellectuals have finally understood that the validity of one's arguments does not necessarily get any more convincing through using extra complicated sentence structures etc. Obviously if something is comlicated, it IS complicated, but I personally found that there is just a great cultural tendency in German speaking countries to write in a slightly elitist way. With regards to Doko's works however, the intellectual "chewing" journey is definitely worth it....but I do need my Ryokan to recover afterwards

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    I also must say that most (not all) of the riffing on Dogen in the book of women teachers is fantabulous.

Gassho, J
    Curious! What's all this about riffing on Dogen in a book of women teachers?

Gassho

Jen

Quote Originally Posted by Nenka View Post
    Curious! What's all this about riffing on Dogen in a book of women teachers?

Gassho

Jen
    Hi Jen,

It is this book. Most (a couple of exceptions) of the essays are quite wondrous riffings on Shobogenzo.

Receiving the Marrow Teachings on Dogen by Soto Zen Women Priests
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009JVSAGW/...zen-sanghas%2F

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Nindo
    Thanks guys. For some reason I have a reluctance to turn to German Buddhist literature now, although that's where I started of course, all those years ago. All of my Zen training has been in English though, and even literal translations of words - e.g. emptiness vs Leere - just don't feel like they mean the same. I got interested in Doko after watching a short clip from a ZDF program on youtube.
    (Sorry for going OT.)

I'm still at the first few pages of this book, after picking it up almost a year ago. Coincidentally, the first commentary is Nishiari's. I enjoy his direct, warm style, and will have to set to work reading again in earnest

Gassho,
    Shujin