Thread: Precepts to trace?

Precepts to trace?

Hello,

Is there a recommended link to the Precepts in Japanese formatted so one may trace them, please?

Gassho,
    b.

stlah

I gave it a look, but I am not so sure, as I do not know how to read Japanese, and I cannot verify that what I am finding is exactly what I am looking for. Most of them seem to be related to the precepts in reiki practice, not Zen.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge of Japanese can help me to find a picture of the Precepts written in Japanese if they see this post. In the meantime, you are welcome to practice the tracing of the Heart Sutra if you wish: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jjL...QbG8e2xYw/view

Gassho
    Sat, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Here you are, although you will need to arrange them on paper and print them out.

https://eisenji1244.amebaownd.com/posts/3028703

At the top, it says "The 16 Precepts"

Then, the Three Devotions (to Buddha, Dharma, Sangha)

Then, the Three Pure & Universal Precepts

The, the Ten Fundamental Precepts.

You can find further explanation in our Jukai guide, although they can be translated into English a wide variety of ways.

Gassho, Jundo

stlah

PS - Geika, maybe we could work something up for the folks in tracing the Precepts!
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-29-2023 at 01:29 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you, Geika and Jundo!

Gassho,
    b.

st, insta-Zazen
    Last edited by WorkerB; 01-27-2023 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Corrected to follow hyphenization and capitalization of Zazen.

Jundo, will you please tell me what the words are after the Precepts here, please? Screenshot_20230127_143242_PDF Extra.jpg

Thank you.

Gassho,
    b.

stlah

Quote Originally Posted by WorkerB View Post
    Jundo, will you please tell me what the words are after the Precepts here, please? Screenshot_20230127_143242_PDF Extra.jpg

Thank you.

Gassho,
    b.

stlah
    I’m clearly not Jundo, but I believe the words say “zazenkai”

Sat Today
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Thank you Jundo. I can recognize the Heart Sutra when I see it, but not much else!

Gassho
    Sat, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Thank you, Bion!

Gassho,
    b.

stlah

Geika, your videos are helpful, thank you!

Gassho,
    b.

stlah

Quote Originally Posted by Bion View Post
    I’m clearly not Jundo, but I believe the words say “zazenkai”

Sat Today
    Well, we are all each other in other guise. Yep, "Zazenkai."

Gassho, J

stlah

Here is a quick shot at creating a pdf of the images.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vmze0xhlr1...cepts.pdf?dl=0

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Thank you, Shinshi!

b.

st

Quote Originally Posted by WorkerB View Post
    Thank you, Shinshi!

b.

st
    I am sure you know already, but for folks new to Japanese, the more complicated characters are the actual Chinese-Japanese characters. The simpler, more squiggly one, in the right column or above the Chinese characters, are just "Kana" giving pronunciation of the characters. The 「」 at the sides are just parenthesis.

When I get a chance later today, I will try to make something that looks nicer for you for tracing purposes, without the Kana and parenthesis.

Gassho, J

stlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-29-2023 at 02:28 AM.

Sorry to keep you waiting. Here is a version with a nice font which should be ready for Shakyo. I have had it added to our Shakyo library.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mvZ...ew?usp=sharing

Gassho, Jundo

STLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-13-2023 at 05:45 AM.

Thank you Jundo

Gassho
    Sat, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika

Thank you Jundo,
    Gassho
    Diana
    Sat