Thread: "Simple Living" - Chapters 5 and 6

"Simple Living" - Chapters 5 and 6

Just jump in if joining, no "catch up" ... just today is today ...

I will include chapter headings, as we discovered some differences between the US and UK editions regarding chapter order.

Chapter 5 - Discard What You Don't Need - Give something away that you are rather attached to, and give it to someone who can benefit from it. No, please do not make it your spouse or dog, nor do you need to give away your house quite yet! Just something small but important to you which you would resist parting with. Experience how it makes you feel to do so, and whether you can let that feeling go.

Chapter 6 - Organize Your Desktop - Straighten and clean your desk, or some other work area which is a mess. Gassho upon completion. (To our few participants who may consider themselves already a bit obsessive and fastidious in cleaning same place, please mess it up a bit intentionally, then bow).

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-11-2019 at 12:38 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I am in the process of doing the first thing but I will keep the details private as there is both a financial and a sentimental aspect to it I do worry some about what will be the outcome. But stuff is just stuff.

The second thing I will have to plan for, as it would literally take me at least a whole day to clean my desk at work. I am looking forward to doing it, though!

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Books Donated

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Just jump in if joining, no "catch up" ... just today is today ...

Chapter 5 - Give something away that you are rather attached to, and give it to someone who can benefit from it. No, please do not make it your spouse or dog, nor do you need to give away your house quite yet! Just something small but important to you which you would resist parting with. Experience how it makes you feel to do so, and whether you can let that feeling go.

Chapter 6 - Straighten and clean your desk, or some other work area which is a mess. Gassho upon completion. (To our few participants who may consider themselves already a bit obsessive and fastidious in cleaning same place, please mess it up a bit intentionally, then bow).

Gassho, J

STLah
    15kg of books on contemplative spirituality (outside of Buddhism) donated to a liberal Episcopal Church I know in Tokyo that has a Centering Prayer Group and a priest who is 'really into that kind of thing' for want of a better way of putting it. I like that they will use them and benefit from them and that it is uncluttering my space - a feeling of mild relief. But, to be honest, I do this annually anyway by donating things to the school bazaar - I have a shelf in the spare room where things go that could be useful to someone but are not to us.

On both counts.....

Cleaning out/giving to charities, and my children are taking things for themselves. It would not happen otherwise, I get paralyzed at what to do with things because I get stuck in details. I'm learning as I go.

Rather painful for me, as I am letting go of items that hold sentimental value but no real purpose otherwise. They're from another lifetime and I have the memories (mixed blessing) but the items themselves are better off with people who can use them.

Also -- I "dislike" my things being touched, moved, rearranged, etc. I get upset if my toothpaste is moved or if someone uses my favorite mug (I only use one). So - I will work on that, and will work on the "letting go" and .

Gassho
    Kim
    St lh

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

It's like it was meant to be, lol: I got my credit for Audible this month and added this book to my library. I coincidentally listened to it up until this point last night, and had previously straightened out my desk before I went on vacation last week!

As for discarding, I am gonna need to get the jump on that. I live with family and most of my stuff is in storage... however, I have accumulated quite a bit in my nearly three years of living here, so I could definitely reinvigorate my Konmari skills! (If you don't know what that is, look it up, it is definitely a thing right now-- however, I had read her books and used her methods for a few years before the Netflix show, and it has sadly become quite polarizing...)

Glad to be joining in,

Gassho

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

"Chapter 6 - Straighten and clean your desk, or some other work area which is a mess. Gassho upon completion. (To our few participants who may consider themselves already a bit obsessive and fastidious in cleaning same place, please mess it up a bit intentionally, then bow). "

I've been in the process of doing this in recent months. I'm a freelance technology journalist, and work at home, and I've got a lot of tech gadgets. My first step was to remove as much as possible from my desk. Currently, I have my computer, my laptop and iPad in stands, a pair of speakers, and a wooden writing desk that I had made for me about 20 years ago. The latter holds all the little things that I need from time to time. There's still one pile of papers on my desk, but that will move soon. It means that I am much less distracted than before.

I'm in the process of doing the same thing to my home office, and have just bought a very good modular shelving system to organize the stuff I need in the office. When I get that, my space will be a lot cleaner.

I've already noticed the difference in lack of distraction, and I would recommend to anyone who has a messy desk - which was the norm for me - to try the same.

Gassho,

Kirk
    流文

I know nothing.

I just had another great idea for this... my older daughter is currently dating a very nice, nerdy young man who is the tour guide at the Star Trek set replica in Ticonderoga (which I couldn’t be more amused by and delighted with!)

He has expressed admiration for my old collection of Star Trek fiction... many books that I have had since I was a teenager and guard rather jealously. I think I will give them to him!

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My wife is always asking what I can give away. In fact she has given things away for me in the past and it took a year or two for me to figure it out

Doshin
    St

Quote Originally Posted by allwhowander View Post
    Also -- I "dislike" my things being touched, moved, rearranged, etc. I get upset if my toothpaste is moved or if someone uses my favorite mug (I only use one). So - I will work on that, and will work on the "letting go" and .
    This gets on my nerves as well. Drives me nuts when people use my things without asking. I take very good care of my possessions, much better than most people, so I don't like it when people use my stuff. I've had many things damaged in other's hands too many times.

Recently someone tore off the corner of a sheet of my sandpaper. Although I'd gladly give anyone all my sandpaper if they asked, I'm not ok with someone silently stealing a bit (and so sloppily too!). For this exercise I'm "giving" that corner sandpaper away. No questions about who used it or why. It's theirs. Letting go of my feelings in this situation is much harder for me than giving away things. Been several days and I'm still not over it, although I've not thought about it much.

Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    My wife is always asking what I can give away. In fact she has given things away for me in the past and it took a year or two for me to figure it out
    If you didn't notice for a couple years you probably didn't need it anyways. I love that you are so casual about this - I'd be pretty hurt if the same happened to me.

As for exercise six, I've cleaned up my desk area. Glad for the reminder.

Gassho,

Nanrin (Southern Forest)

Sat today

Stumbled upon the “sub-forum” yesterday. Wonderful timing since I was realizing that to survive with happiness I needed to slow down and find a simpler way of facing each day. The two challenges of straightening things up and getting rid of things are a high priority that will lead to simplifying day to day activities and chores. Had to laugh at Geika’s comment on having her things in storage. Much of the material things that are tucked away in attic and garage space belong to my kids. When we left Hawaii some 16 years ago they were single and starting out on careers away from home. So when we packed we had to include their “things”. Sorry kids, you are going to be part of this exercise. “But dad!” From my wife’s and my accumulation, right off there are books, camera equipment, and clothes. Future work will involve altering the vegetation on our land that is more adapted to the arid environment and requires minimal maintenance. Living on the border the clothing items, especially winter items are a great need for others and doing nothing hanging in the closet. Once things thin out I think it will be easier to create an environment that will lead to simplifying house and yard work leaving more time for quality living. Looking forward to a simpler and more enjoyable life through this practice circle.

SAT TODAY - LAH
    Last edited by lorax; 07-06-2019 at 03:17 AM.
    Shozan

I’ve been looking to simplify and reduce my possessions. We’ve been going through purging rounds and last round I finally got rid of many of my university text books. Books I have no use for but have been keeping them because of their sentimentality and my pride. They were gifted to a charity. I have another purge round coming up. Sadly it will be toys from my son’s childhood that hold sentimental value because of the memories of playing with him. He’s 16 and is done with wooden trains and tinker toys. I am not so sure I am.

Keeping my desk neat and tidy is a natural instinct for me so no particular challenge there. My workbench is another matter so that will be my focus.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Now that I have the book and had the opportunity to read the first chapters it is clear that Jundo's "tasks" he as assigned us are also metaphors for work that needs to be done by us on a mental level. Certainly, my cluttered desk is a reflection of my currently cluttered mind. Both are in disorder with pockets of dust and unfinished tasks. After living all these years I also have accumulated things that are only a burden and get in the way or take up space. Again like my mind, time to get rid of clutter. Sitting early in the morning rather than when convenient makes a lot of sense, cleaning space before the day starts.

SAT TODAY
    Last edited by lorax; 07-07-2019 at 04:43 AM.
    Shozan

If you didn't notice for a couple years you probably didn't need it anyways. I love that you are so casual about this - I'd be pretty hurt if the same happened to me.

As for exercise six, I've cleaned up my desk area. Glad for the reminder.

Gassho,

Nanrin (Southern Forest)

Sat today[/QUOTE]

You stated why I can be causal.....I didn't need them anymore, I had just not put that realization forward! After 40 years together she has a sense of me (and I of her). There is nothing she gave to help others that I would not have given if asked.

Doshin
    St

Chapter 5 / This is an ongoing practice for me, I love clearing stuff out but the only place I can give it to is to the local catholic church charity as charity shops etc don't exist here. And yes I have thought of starting one up but the bureaucracy/rent charges/tax put an end to that idea. A couple of years ago I gave away the majority of my books to the local library and to family who have kids wanting to learn English. Like you Geika I was introduced to Konmari a few years ago, I think she's great and I find real joy in giving away my belongings to charity - the idea of non attachment was the very first thing I learned in Buddhism and I took it very literally. I would happily give away every non essential thing in my life, but I know my husband would never agree. I'm gradually training him Inanimate objects mean nothing - yes I would feel a pang if I broke my late mum's vase or lost her ring - but would I forget her if I did? No! Do I love beautiful things? Oh my yes - but do I cling to them? No way.

Chapter 6 Definitely another ongoing practice - there's forever housework! I'm very fond of Samu and how it has transformed my life, there's always a mess somewhere in my house, and I'm happy to be able to deal with it .

Gassho
    Meitou
    sattoday
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

"Simple Living" - Chapters 5 and 6

I have a pretty clean desk at work. It’s noticeable and a bit of a running joke, lol.

I have a bit of a clutter phobia so I wasn’t sure I would find much to give away, but I do have some clothes I can give to Goodwill. Gassho

ST

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I just want to say, as part of the "giving away to someone who can use it" part, make sure that it is something that really you feel a little attached and clingy to, that really causes a twinge in the gut to give away, not just the old bowling ball in the closet or that dress you have not worn for 10 years.

It should hurt a little to do this one.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    I just want to say, as part of the "giving away to someone who can use it" part, make sure that it is something that really you feel a little attached and clingy to, that really causes a twinge in the gut to give away, not just the old bowling ball in the closet or that dress you have not worn for 10 years.

It should hurt a little to do this one.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    Thanks Jundo, I will keep looking

ST

5. I gave my father my stereo speaker tower. His workshop has an old radio in it that he had a hard time hearing. He really loves the new stereo!

6. My desk at work is usually either covered in work to do, or very clean (and always clean by the end of the day). So.. I worked on my home instead since it had a very messy room (our gym!). I reogranized it, rearranged and made the space more open and clean. It made me more excited to exercise than usual with it being so much easier to move around, my wife too was more excited to use the space. I think it will lead to more consistency with our physical training keeping the space this way.

Gassho
    Kendrick
    Sat

It was a little difficult, but I gave half of my Chinese oolong tea together with a tea can to a friend that loves oolong. Perhaps not the perfect action, but the tea was a Christmas present from my wife and I really cling to it.
    My messy home office desktop was cleaned of all the papers and all but one book. I also organized my closet and separated some clothes to donate.
    Thank you for this opportunity.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat today/LAH