Thread: Drifting eyes in Zazen

Drifting eyes in Zazen

Hi all,

I have a question about eyes drifting and focus during Zazen. Because they keep wandering about, sometimes jittering and sometimes just slowly drifting away from the spot I put them in. Does this happen to other people? Is there a way I should be 'fixing' them in one place? I wear eyeglasses during the day, but not for Zazen, so maybe that's part of it. I don't know. Anyway, it's not a bother anything so I just carry on with it. But I was curious to know what you all thought.

Thanks

(sattoday)

Hi Steve;

Let your eyes do whatever, but don't let it take over. I used to take my glasses off for Zazen but somewhere along the way I left them on and don't even think about them anymore. Zazen is a natural "just sitting" with no expectations or goal. The hard part is to leave all your life problems and worries behind you, outside the door to the Zendo. You can pick them up later as you leave if wish but, for the time you are sitting they don't exist.

gassho, Shokai
    stlah

p.s. would be nice to see an avatar on your posts
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Hi Steve,

Yes, we have had a few threads recently on similar topics. I basically say that they eyes are just like driving down a country road, taking everything in very naturally, sometimes resting here or there without tensions. You don't have to keep them focused on one spot, or try not to keep them from being focused on a spot. Let the eyes be natural, like Shokai says. The trick is not to get lost in long tangles of thoughts and judgments about what is seen, just meeting it with equanimity.

Drivin' Dogen - Understanding "Open Spacious Awareness"
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...ious-Awareness

SPLIT THREAD: EYE to EYE
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...EAD-EYE-to-EYE

Difficulties with Panoramic Attention...
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...t=eyes+driving

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-18-2020 at 09:51 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Jundo,

If I have not said it before you amaze me. You are a digital wizard behind the curtain of our Forum. You can instantly cut and paste teachings, find and post previous threads, link to videos and music that compliment your teachings. A wonder. Whereas I spend a lot of time looking for my keys

Thank you for sharing that skill with us.

Gasho
    Doshin
    St

Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    Jundo,

If I have not said it before you amaze me. You are a digital wizard behind the curtain of our Forum. You can instantly cut and paste teachings, find and post previous threads, link to videos and music that compliment your teachings. A wonder. Whereas I spend a lot of time looking for my keys

Thank you for sharing that skill with us.

Gasho
    Doshin
    St
    But I lose my keys at least once a week!

Gassho, J

not sure who the singer is ...

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-17-2020 at 12:08 AM.

Baby Boomer Doshin
    St

PS You made my point

Thanks Shokai,

I shall let them do whatever they want from now on. But if I find myself staring at the ceiling, we might need to revisit this!

PS: I've added an avatar, too.

(sattoday)

Thanks a lot, Jundo. I'm off to read them all now.
    I did do a search for this, but obviously lacking in technical skills!

(sattoday)

Quote Originally Posted by Shokai View Post
    I used to take my glasses off for Zazen but somewhere along the way I left them on and don't even think about them anymore.
    I sit without my glasses on. If I have them on and look 45 degree down, I am kind of looking half through the glasses and half without which is odd. Any thoughts on this?

Gassho,
    Sam
    stlah

Quote Originally Posted by shikantazen View Post
    I sit without my glasses on. If I have them on and look 45 degree down, I am kind of looking half through the glasses and half without which is odd. Any thoughts on this?

Gassho,
    Sam
    stlah
    Either take your glasses off .... or ....

.... leave them on and do not mentally think about them, thus no disturbance.

There is a kind of "clarity of seeing" in Zazen that does not require glasses, or even eyes, but happens when the thoughts are clear and quiet.

In such case, one can even have a kind of x-ray vision like superman, to see right through glasses and walls (not literally, but in the meaning that no wall will disturb you or block you, and the inside is just out as the outside is in, on is off and off is on).

Gassho, J

STLah