Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sound and Silence with Sekishi and Daizan

Sekishi, thanks for posting the sound of the wild relatives of my girls.
    With time and swollen body parts, I've learned to tell the difference between calm and aggressive bee-hive-sound ;-)

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Short recording from Shoka: https://soundcloud.com/treeleaf-zend...n-at-the-light

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat #lah
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Kyotai

Water flowing through a cave, with a slight echo. Please excuse my video intro. Since I began making nature videos, I became acutely aware of how difficult it is to film nature uninterrupted by humans. For example, while filming a Nature landscape over a conservation area, it takes mere minutes before a plane flies over head, a far off bulldozer is noticed or the Toronto to Montreal Via Rail comes blasting through. The wind is an interesting one, without special recording devices, the wind when recorded does not sound like the experience, when it hits the microphone, what you get is more of a loud crackle. Not a problem for me, but when trying to create scenes for others to enjoy, it is not so enjoyable. Funny though, listening to Sekishis talk, I became very aware of my own expectations of sound only when I was actively attempting to record it. As if it were an interruption, when the "wrong" sound presented itself. When not recording, I don't even think I heard these distractions, or perhaps blocked them out.

I often use freesound.org to find more pleasurable sounding audio to match a particular video when the original audio is interrupted by highway traffic for example. But whenever I can, sounds like the above are just perfect for what I am looking for. As they are.

One thing that struck me that I had not considered, as Daizan put it...Shuttering our senses because we are obsorbed in a story line. I find this interesting because I've never consciously used sound to help me stay present, but as I think about it, it makes sense. It is often the storyline that keeps the senses from observing the sound itself.

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST

Ps. Great sound contributions everyone. I particularly enjoyed Seishen-Do's 360 degree panorama and the others too.

Kyotai
    Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    Short recording from Shoka: https://soundcloud.com/treeleaf-zend...n-at-the-light

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat #lah
    I particularly love the sound of rain and it is such an easy one to record. Very loud and unlikely to have background sounds overtop it. I grew up on an old farm house, next to my bedroom window was a steel roof, which I often snuck out on when I needed a break from the craziness of a big family. The sound of rain on that roof was annoying to most, but I loved it. I would listen to it at night.

Thank you Shoka, that sounds like rain on a windo.

Thank you to Daizan and Sekishi for this wonderful thread.

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST / LAH
    Last edited by Kyotai; 08-02-2017 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyotai View Post
    I particularly love the sound of rain and it is such an easy one to record. Very loud and unlikely to have background sounds overtop it. I grew up on an old farm house, next to my bedroom window was a steel roof, which I often snuck out on when I needed a break from the craziness of a big family. The sound of rain on that roof was annoying to most, but I loved it. I would listen to it at night.
    Another rain recording for you Kyotai: https://soundcloud.com/circumjacence...ng-heavy-storm

This one starts with a thunderstorm a few miles off and ends when the tornado signature was spotted about a mile away from our house (and I brought the recording equipment in). Which is to say, by the end of the recording it is almost white noise.

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat #lah

Quote Originally Posted by Kotei View Post
    Sekishi, thanks for posting the sound of the wild relatives of my girls.
    With time and swollen body parts, I've learned to tell the difference between calm and aggressive bee-hive-sound ;-)
    So how did the wild hive sound - calm or aggressive? I spent a bunch of time just sitting on the ground near the hive before putting a microphone up to their front door, so hopefully they were not too agitated.

Also, I know of at least one other bee-keeping Treeleafer, which I think is sort of cool.

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat #lah

Kyotai
    Another rain recording for you Kyotai: https://soundcloud.com/circumjacence...ng-heavy-storm

This one starts with a thunderstorm a few miles off and ends when the tornado signature was spotted about a mile away from our house (and I brought the recording equipment in). Which is to say, by the end of the recording it is almost white noise.

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat #lah
    Very nice sound. Thank you for sharing. We don't get too many tornadoes where I live. Maybe a few a summer touch down in my area.

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST LAH

Mp
    Kyotai and Sekishi ... you two are masters, lovely work and sounds!!!

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH

Kyotai
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Kyotai and Sekishi ... you two are masters, lovely work and sounds!!!

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH
    Ahh shucks. .

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST LAH

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Lets keep in mind that this project is about ALL the sounds of our lives. That includes both the beautiful, artful, and "meditative", but also the artless and uncomfortable, inane and incidental. It includes the dentist's drill and the tranquil lake, the argument next door and the wind in the cedars, the fart in the bathroom and laughter of kids in the playground. It is about waking to it all. There is no such thing as a "Zen" recording.... it is all "Zen".

Gassho
    Daizan

Sat today LAH
    Last edited by RichardH; 08-03-2017 at 11:44 AM.

Kyotai
    Listen to Alex and daddy bike ride.m4a by Shawn Leahy 1 #np on #SoundCloud
    https://soundcloud.com/shawn-leahy-1...-bike-ride-m4a

A short clip, biking down the road with my 6 year old. Cars passing.

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST

Kyotai
    Listen to Chat during thunderstorm by Shawn Leahy 1 #np on #SoundCloud
    https://soundcloud.com/shawn-leahy-1...g-thunderstorm

Sat in the garage watching a big storm with my son.

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST LAH

Hi Sekishi,

the wild hive sounds busy, but calm to me.
    Of course its different with my honey-bees, but in general, frequency goes up and sound is more 'coordinated', when mobilising.

There are some projects coming up the last months (free and commercial), about recording and processing hive sounds, for predicting bee-haviour.
    Different frequencies from different bee-jobs, up to a very clear toot-toot-toooooot, when the queen tells to leave the hive ;-).
    More low frequency sounds means more workers, that have nothing to do, which leads to swarming of the hive, etc.

Gassho,
    Kotei sattoday.

So how did the wild hive sound - calm or aggressive? I spent a bunch of time just sitting on the ground near the hive before putting a microphone up to their front door, so hopefully they were not too agitated.

Also, I know of at least one other bee-keeping Treeleafer, which I think is sort of cool.

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat #lah

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Mp
    The sounds of our feet while traveling in this world. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH
    Nice! You live in a beautiful part of the world Shingen. My wife and I visited the Island two years ago and it made a lasting impression on us. I know we'll end up back there some time in the future.

Gassho
    Warren
    Sat today

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by awarren View Post
    Nice! You live in a beautiful part of the world Shingen. My wife and I visited the Island two years ago and it made a lasting impression on us. I know we'll end up back there some time in the future.

Gassho
    Warren
    Sat today
    If you do, it would be good to see you! Or maybe one of these days I come out East ... there is a lot of member's out there, we could have a big meet up. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH

I love the sound of footsteps on a trail. Especially if there is some texture, like gravel or something crunchy.

Gassho, sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Kyotai

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH
    5:07, thought the stump was a Grizzly for a second..luckily you had Bodhi = path security

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST LAH

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyotai View Post
    5:07, thought the stump was a Grizzly for a second..luckily you had Bodhi = path security

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST LAH

Oh yah ... he is my body guard for sure! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Been enjoying all these recordings so far. I have made quite a few but deleted them due to too much wind rush across my phones mic - anyone know of a fury phone sock. I know I should accept them as they are but they've been a bit too heavy interference wise.

Was at the beach yesterday and enjoyed the sounds of the waves breaking but again too much wind for a good recording. Anyway the weather has changed again so these were taken this morning. At the house when I let the chickens out (overflowing water butt, raindrops on garden table and passing traffic), then recording from the courtyard and another down by the river under trees with the our dog.......no panting today.

https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/mo...assing-traffic

https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/sound-of-rain

https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/sounds-of-rain-ii

STMIZ

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Beautiful, Shingen and Seishin-Do.

Gassho
    Daizan

Sat today

Shoka's Recording: Treeleafers on BART:
    https://soundcloud.com/treeleaf-zend...eld-recordings

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat #lah

I added recordings from Seishin Do and Daizan to our playlist. There are now 19 recordings on the playlist:

Update: I added Kyotai's recordings too, so now we are up to 21.

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat #lah
    Last edited by Sekishi; 08-13-2017 at 06:13 PM.

Hi,

I can't post a link to this, but I have tinnitus. So there's a high-pitched whistle that underscores all other sound. When the ENT doctor asked me to say when it was most noticeable, I said when I do zazen. But it's really no different from any other sound. Fedex truck drives by, dog barks, tinnitus. It's all practice.

Gassho
    Meishin
    sat today

While the Oakland/SF Retreat has been running I've been doing some late night sitting. Took time off last night to watch the Perseid meteor showers. Only a few meteors visible due to clouds wafting in and out but recorded this around midnight. Just night time crickets and the odd wee beastie on the edge of our courtyard. May need to max the volume.

https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/midnight-star-gazing

STMIZ / lah

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Hi Meishin;

My tinnitus is only there when I listen for it. It disappears during zazen.
    Jundo says miracles during zazen never cease e

gashho, Shokai

sat/LAH
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Shokai View Post
    Hi Meishin;

My tinnitus is only there when I listen for it. It disappears during zazen.
    Jundo says miracles during zazen never cease e

gashho, Shokai

sat/LAH
    Who is this "I" who listens for it, Shokai?

Gassho
    Meishin
    sat today
    Last edited by Meishin; 08-13-2017 at 11:56 PM.

Don't know
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Shokai View Post
    Don't know
    Don't know either. Also don't know how my post managed to be deleted when I attempted to edit it.

Gassho
    Meishin
    sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Meishin View Post
    Don't know either. Also don't know how my post managed to be deleted when I attempted to edit it.
    Moderators can undelete. Let me know if you want your post restored.

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat #lah

Quote Originally Posted by Seishin-Do View Post
    While the Oakland/SF Retreat has been running I've been doing some late night sitting. Took time off last night to watch the Perseid meteor showers. Only a few meteors visible due to clouds wafting in and out but recorded this around midnight. Just night time crickets and the odd wee beastie on the edge of our courtyard. May need to max the volume.
    Very nice. Subtle texture.

I've added it to the playlist.

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat #lah

Gassho
    Daizan

Sat toda/LAH

Something different. ............. A bit of "cheating" on this one. I recorded a short jog with me and our dog this morning but the wind rush was a bit too intense. So I've just ran it though my recording software, Reaper, then added an EQ to try and clean it up a bit. Just for a bit of fun I added an Crowd Chamber effect called Many Monks ( x 60), then added a WAVES Vocal Plugin and tweaked the settings a little. End result is Prog Rock Synth style backing to my dogs claws on the tarmac as we jog down the road - my footfalls filtered out along with the low freq.

https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/jo...he-dog-tweaked

STMIZ

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Quote Originally Posted by Daizan View Post

Gassho
    Daizan

Sat toda/LAH
    Beautiful Daizan, I could listen to that all day.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Hello,
    I enjoy, listening to your worlds, thank you.

Attached, pls. find an audio and a video+audio version of a swarm of homo veloensis, I was lucky to spot in the woods yesterday.

https://soundcloud.com/ralf-prehn-35...homo-veloensis

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotei View Post
    Hello,
    I enjoy, listening to your worlds, thank you.

Attached, pls. find an audio and a video+audio version of a swarm of homo veloensis, I was lucky to spot in the woods yesterday.

https://soundcloud.com/ralf-prehn-35...homo-veloensis

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    ...and the ambulances coming up the rear. That is wonderful. It somehow seems very German... green, healthy, well organized, with a small footprint.

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today/LAH

Street performers in Asheville NC.

Gassho,

Shugen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

This can also be an submission here. Zazen at Dallas Airport, flights being called, children playing, bar noise in the background, CNN blaring coverage of the Texas Hurricane .... stillness amid life on the move ...

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

At the Annual CNE fair in Toronto yesterday. According to the announcer ( a visiting U.S. airforce officer) this is the sound of a "full spectrum dominance weapons platform", an F-22. Being this sound was a very different experience than being the sound of rain yesterday morning while sitting. It completely filled the body with vibration, and was strangely frightening and pleasurable in one feeling. There have been calls to discontinue the airshows over this city, because it is home to many new arrivals from war zones, who suffer from PTSD. The airshows will continue.

Gassho
    Daizan

Sat today/LAH
    Last edited by RichardH; 09-04-2017 at 01:11 PM.

Wow! That's amazing. It's actually kind of nostalgic for me, as my Dad used to bring us to air shows a lot when I was a kid. I remember the Harrier showing off its hovering capability overhead.
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reminded me of the Farnbrough air show, late 60s early 70s and seeing/hearing an F1 Phantom take off. Man that was loud !

STD

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Sounds 8,9 &10
    http://www.hearing.nihr.ac.uk/public...ds-of-tinnitus

Decreases with the sound of a baby's laugh.

Gassho
    Sat
    Marc Connery
    明岩
    Myo̅ Gan - Bright Cliff

I put the Monkey in Monkeymind

Back in July Doshin sent me a great post-monsoon video of toads coming up from underground. But I didn't notice the message until today -- my apologies to all!

Now however, the audio is in our Soundcloud playlist:

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat #lah

Also, here is a recent recording of a summer thunderstorm from Shoka:

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat #lah

perfect thread. i'd include the sense of smell too.

currently :
    im at home, the rain just stopped
    i smell earth and light tangy notes from my essential oil burner

gassho, ryk
    sat today lah
    Last edited by taiyaki; 09-26-2017 at 10:29 AM. Reason: video didnt show up oops

Quote Originally Posted by taiyaki View Post
    perfect thread. i'd include the sense of smell too.

currently :
    im at home, the rain just stopped
    i smell earth and light tangy notes from my essential oil burner

gassho, ryk
    sat today lah

Beautiful. Thank you.

Gassho
    Daizan

sat today
    LAH

Lovely Ryk. I also have wonder about capturing such smells when making my recordings. If only we had the technology. One day perhaps for now words will have to do.

STMIZ la

Toby

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

we could at least try our best with words....

gassho, ryk
    sattodaylah

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast