Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introducing chanting in to my routine

Introducing chanting in to my routine

I would appreciate any advice on how to introduce chanting in to my daily routine.

I perform zazen every morning at 6am but only have about half an hour, so spend 20 mins zazen followed by a few minutes of metta practice. Is there a short chant that could be performed after this, or would it be better to chant when I have more time... say on a Saturday morning?

And what chants should I perform?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Gassho
    Mart

Sat2Day

Boom! here you go http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...t-home-liturgy

I think this is a personal thing unless you are practicing with a zen group here or elsewhere. I tend to chant the meal chant regularly, the bodhisattva vows, verse of atonement and a little gather here and there throughout the day because I tend to go into autopilot, so they bring me back.

In any case, that link will give you a lot of good stuff.

Gassho,

Risho
    -sattoday

Mp
    Hello Mart,

I chant the "Heart Sutra (English)", Verse of Atonement", and the "Four Vows". At night I also include Metta Practice .... and it only takes an 10 minutes, but find what works for you.

Do you have a copy of our chant book? Here is the link if not: http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/attac...3&d=1407527972

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

I very much want to chant. We have someone in our Facebook group UU Buddhism Study Group who knows chanting as a practice. Should I contact him.?
    Tai Shi
    std
    Gassho

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Hi Mart,

I chant the Robe Verse in the morning or evening before zazen when putting my Rakusu on. It only takes 3 minutes extra.
    Before the eveing sit I tend to chant the Heart Sutra, but more occasionally (not every day). Before a meal I recite the meal chant whenever I do not forget to do so
    Plus there is a regular group chanting during the Sunday Sit at Shugen's performed via G+, however, as Shingen pointed, find what works for you best.

Gassho
    Washin
    sat today
    Last edited by Washin; 07-17-2016 at 03:40 AM. Reason: spelling

Hi Mart.

I chant the "Maka Hannya Haramita Shingyo", which is the japanese version of the Sutra known as the "Heart Sutra" (Prajnaparamita Hrdaya Sutra) mainly at my Sunday sitting, and the "Boddhisatva Vows" (the "Four Vows") in japanese and in brazilian portuguese (my first language) after every sitting.

I chant in japanese because I started my practice in a Japanese temple of the Soto school in the city of São Paulo, here in Brasil and I feel confortable with it, and chanting in japanese makes me feel... "closer" to the "original" zen practice. Speaking of this, I use japanese incense (the same used there) too... my Zafu and zabuton were bought there, and I have a bell like the one used on the zendo there, etc.

Every sangha I had the opportunity of visit chanted the "Heart Sutra", mainly, in japanese or another language (here in the city I'm actually living in the local zen sangha chants the Heart Sutra in japanese).

It felt natural to me to introduce chanting on my sitting routine, as I'm a singer/player here in Brasil. As I don't have a "Mokugyo" (a wooden fish used as a kind of "drum" to set the rhythm of that sutra chanting) yet - I couldn't find it to sell here, I use to beat the rhytm with the bell stick on the ground.

Somehow I feel that... when I chant these verses, they deepens their significances in me and my practice.

Somehow I feel that the chanting is practice itself, too.

Have a good chanting. Have a good practice.

Gassho.
    Last edited by Kyosei; 07-18-2016 at 02:20 PM.
    _/|\_

Kyōsei

強 Kyō
    声 Sei

Namu kie Butsu, Namu kie Ho, Namu kie So.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I have started to incorporate the heart sutra in to my practice aswell as the verse of atonement and for vows.
    Gassho
    Mart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi everyone, this thread gives me an opportunity to make a request - would it be possible for one of our Treeleaf priests to record themself chanting the Heart Sutra and then post it so we can chant along at home? It would be great if it could have subtitles too.

Gassho, Taikai
    Sat today

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Taikai View Post
    Hi everyone, this thread gives me an opportunity to make a request - would it be possible for one of our Treeleaf priests to record themself chanting the Heart Sutra and then post it so we can chant along at home? It would be great if it could have subtitles too.

Gassho, Taikai
    Sat today
    Hello Taikai,

Good idea ... I am able to do this if folks wish. What do you think Jundo?

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Hello Taikai,

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today
    Hi Shingen,

I believe the English version is what is meant? Yes, please do.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday, recited Heart Sutra today
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hello Taikai,

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today
    Yes. I would like that.
    You could make a CD.. Shingen Chants

Seriously it would be nice.

Maybe you could contact the folks at Insight Timer and ask them if we could incorporate some chants into their format.

Gassho Ishin
    #sat today

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Hi Shingen,

I believe the English version is what is meant? Yes, please do.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday, recited Heart Sutra today
    Yes Jundo, I believe it is just the English version. I will start that up right away! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Sent from my mobile, cause I am out & about! =)

Hi guys,

Thank you.

Gassho
    Sat today
    Adam

Yay!!!!! Thank you Shingen! I had looked for something like this online but then thought that it would be so much nicer to have our own Treeleaf version.

Gassho, Taikai
    Sat today

Cyd
    Thank you

Gassho
    Cyd

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Taikai View Post
    Yay!!!!! Thank you Shingen! I had looked for something like this online but then thought that it would be so much nicer to have our own Treeleaf version.

Gassho, Taikai
    Sat today
    You are very welcome, I will have something up for you in a couple days. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Ishin View Post
    Yes. I would like that.
    You could make a CD.. Shingen Chants
    I could have a road show and groupies! LOL

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

At this time it would be difficult for me to chant--however recitation is different--could someone post a link to our usual chants during Zazenkai, and other practices here at Treeleaf--thank you
    Tai Shi
    std
    Gassho.

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Tai Shi View Post
    At this time it would be difficult for me to chant--however recitation is different--could someone post a link to our usual chants during Zazenkai, and other practices here at Treeleaf--thank you
    Tai Shi
    std
    Gassho.
    Hello Tai Shi,

Normally be done do recitation with our chants, more of a monotoned chant. I will be doing up the Heart Sutra in English and if you wish, I can also do the Verse of Atonement and the Four Vows, as they are done during our Zazenkai, if that works and is helpful for you. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Taikai thank you for asking! I try to use Zazenkai recordings sometimes but the words are often drowned out by the mokugyo, maybe something about the live broadcast sound/microphone. Shingen thank you for offering to do this, it will definitely be helpful... At least for those of us who don't like to chant alone, or would like to listen to our Treeleaf chants during travel, work breaks etc. without disturbing anyone.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Thank you so much Shingen. This is so appreciated.

Gassho
    Mart

Shingen, Thank you very much--My hope is to be with the Zazenkai this coming Friday--please feel free to post these chants in English if you have time--I used to have a very beautiful singing voice, and I think it better to say these in monotone chants at my age--thank you.

Tai Shi
    sat this morning
    Gassho.
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 07-26-2016 at 09:44 AM.

Yes Jundo, I believe it is just the English version. I will start that up right away! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Awesome. Thank you Shingen
    Since our Sunday sits at Shugen are not recorded I used to learn how to chant Heart Sutra
    and the rest using the Weekly Zazenkai recording's parts which wasn't always convenient.
    Now, having a separate recording would be great for folks.

Gassho
    Washin
    sat today
    Last edited by Washin; 07-26-2016 at 10:07 AM. Reason: grammar

Mp
    Hello folks,

Ok here are some mp3 files of some chants. I did the Heart Sutra (both with and without bell and mokugyo), the Verse of Atonement (both with and without bell), and the Four Vows (both with and without bell). I have also made them available for download if you choose, so you can listen on your iPod of the like.

Let me know if you have any questions or any troubles with the files. =)

Zazenkai Chants

The Heart Sutra
    Voice only: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7J...ew?usp=sharing
    With Bell & Mokugyo: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7J...ew?usp=sharing

The Verse of Atonement
    With bell: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7J...ew?usp=sharing

The Four Vows
    With bells: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7J...ew?usp=sharing

The Whole Folder
    Folder Access: https://drive.google.com/folderview?...mM&usp=sharing

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Excellent thank you so much Shingen! Off to try them out.. Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    Excellent thank you so much Shingen! Off to try them out.. Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Your welcome! You go girl and chant like no ones listen, dance like no ones watching! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Thank you so much, Shingen!

Already downloaded them and will keep them in my phone.

Gassho,
    Andoitz

SatTodayAndWillChantAlongLater
    太 Tai (Great)
    陽 Yō (Sun)

Thank you very much, Shingen!
    Looking forward to polishing my chanting skills (not a tile.. )

Gassho
    Washin
    sat today

Very Nice Shingen! Love it

Gassho
    Grateful for your practice

Your welcome! You go girl and chant like no ones listen, dance like no ones watching! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Haha I wonder what people will think if I am chanting in my car in the parking lot with the windows open. Reminds me of that video Jundo posted of Jesus and Buddha on the roller coaster
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Mp
    Your welcome everyone, I am happy to hear my chicken scratches are making music to your ears! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Your welcome everyone, I am happy to hear my chicken scratches are making music to your ears! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today
    I now have a Zen chant playlist on my Iphone/ Ichant

Thanks again!
    Grateful for your practice

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishin View Post
    I now have a Zen chant playlist on my Iphone/ Ichant

Thanks again!
    Nice! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Thank you!

Gassho
    Sattoday
    Adam

Shingen, lovely. I will add these as a fixture of the "At Home Rituals" thread so we have them around.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday

Shingen you are a rock star. Putting these on my computer, Kindle and Ipod. Thank you so much!

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat today

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Byokan View Post
    Shingen you are a rock star. Putting these on my computer, Kindle and Ipod. Thank you so much!

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat today
    Awesome ... maybe I will take my show on the road. =) LOL

Shingen, lovely. I will add these as a fixture of the "At Home Rituals" thread so we have them around.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    Wonderful, thank you Jundo. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Shingen, could you (or someone with a better ear than mine) tell me what you chant in the first line of the Verse Of Atonement?

Although our chant book says "All evil karma ever created by me since of Old"... It sounds different on these recordings and Zazenkai videos.

Again, it could be just my bad hearing!! Thanks.

Gassho,
    Andoitz

Sat Today
    太 Tai (Great)
    陽 Yō (Sun)

Quote Originally Posted by Andoitz View Post
    Shingen, could you (or someone with a better ear than mine) tell me what you chant in the first line of the Verse Of Atonement?

Although our chant book says "All evil karma ever created by me since of Old"... It sounds different on these recordings and Zazenkai videos.

Gassho,
    Andoitz

Sat Today
    Some folks got hung up with the word "evil", so we changed it awhile back to "All harmful words thoughts and acts ever committed by me since of old ... " Karma is our volitional "words thoughts and acts".

Since these are all translations from Sino-Japanese, there is no one right way to phrase it.

When you say "our Chant book", did you mean at Treeleaf somewhere? It should all be as I wrote it.

Gassho, Jundo

Mp

Gassho,
    Andoitz

Sat Today
    Hey Andoitz,

It sounds (no pun instead =) ) that you are using an old version of the chants. The latest version that we are using is this:

All harmful words, thoughts, and acts
    Here is a link to the new version of the Weekly and Monthy chants. Let me know if this helps. =)

Chants: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today
    Last edited by Mp; 07-29-2016 at 04:13 PM.

Mp
    Some folks got hung up with the word "evil", so we changed it awhile back to "All harmful words thoughts and acts ever committed by me since of old ... " Karma is our volitional "words thoughts and acts".

Since these are all translations from Sino-Japanese, there is no one right way to phrase it.

When you say "our Chant book", did you mean at Treeleaf somewhere? It should all be as I wrote it.

Gassho, Jundo
    I think Andoitz might be referring to this version https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...WVjU09maEVkYVU

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Joyo
    Thank you very much, Shingen.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today

Gassho, Jundo
    Hi, Jundo:

I'm afraid I downloaded the pdf version from the "Recommended at home" thread right here:
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...t-home-liturgy
    http://www.treeleaf.org/treeleaf_zaz...chant_book.pdf

I didn't realize the shorter HMTL version already says "All harmful acts, words and thoughts, ever committed by me since of old" though, my fault!! (Anyway I'm glad my hearing is not that bad ).

Thanks!!

Hey Andoitz,

It sounds (no pun instead =) ) that you are using an old version of the chants. The latest version that we are using is this:

Here is a link to the new version of the Weekly and Monthy chants. Let me know if this helps. =)

Chants: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today
    Thank you, Shingen! Of course it helps. I've already downloaded it so I can chant-along properly and I got rid of the old one.

Gassho,
    Andoitz

SatToday
    Last edited by Taiyo; 07-29-2016 at 09:54 PM.
    太 Tai (Great)
    陽 Yō (Sun)

Mp
    Hi, Jundo:

I'm afraid I downloaded the pdf version from the "Recommended at home" thread right here:
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...t-home-liturgy
    http://www.treeleaf.org/treeleaf_zaz...chant_book.pdf

I didn't realize the shorter HMTM version already says "All harmful acts, words and thoughts, ever committed by me since of old" though, my fault!! (Anyway I'm glad my hearing is not that bad ).

Thanks!!

Thank you, Shingen! Of course it helps. I've already downloaded it so I can chant-along properly and I got rid of the old one.

Gassho,
    Andoitz

SatToday
    I am also in the final stages of making a printable version of the chant book ... once that is ready, there will be two sizes and you can choose to either download it or if you want a hard copy, you can have it printed as well. So stay tuned! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Thank you, Shingen! You are a gift to this group! I'll be checking out the recordings soon.

Gassho, Entai
    #SatToday

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Entai View Post
    Thank you, Shingen! You are a gift to this group! I'll be checking out the recordings soon.

Gassho, Entai
    #SatToday
    Ahhh, thank you my friend. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

This is great! Thank you Shingen.

Gassho

Risho
    -sattoday

Awesome ... maybe I will take my show on the road. =) LOL
    Thank you, Shingen...
    Pls, let me know if I can be of any help, organizing the german part of your tour ;-)

Gassho,
    Kotei sattoday.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotei View Post
    Thank you, Shingen...
    Pls, let me know if I can be of any help, organizing the german part of your tour ;-)

Gassho,
    Kotei sattoday.
    Excellent, sounds good, thank you Kotei. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

These recordings are great Shingen, the bell and mokugyo do not interfere with the vocals the way they do in the live feed. I chant with you every day now

While we are on the subject of chanting... Any tips on learning the heart sutra in Japanese? My powers of memorization are not what they once were. Just a line at a time, I suppose. Perhaps I will learn it by the time I retire, if that ever happens...
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    These recordings are great Shingen, the bell and mokugyo do not interfere with the vocals the way they do in the live feed. I chant with you every day now

While we are on the subject of chanting... Any tips on learning the heart sutra in Japanese? My powers of memorization are not what they once were. Just a line at a time, I suppose. Perhaps I will learn it by the time I retire, if that ever happens...
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Awesome, I am glad to know we are chanting together! =)

The Heart Sutra is Japanese is still the monotone continuous beat ... here is a nice example of it. =)

I would do a recording, but I am still practicing/learning and getting better at my pronunciation first before. Don't want to scare anyone. LOL

Gassho
    Shingen

s@today

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast