Thread: June 24th-25th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - Samadhi

June 24th-25th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - Samadhi

Dear All,

Please sit our Treeleaf Zazenkai for 90 minutes with Zazen, Heart Sutra and more:

10am Japan Saturday morning, NY 9pm, LA 6pm Friday night, London 2am and Paris 3am Saturday morning, or any time thereafter here:

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off: Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS
    01:30 - 01:45(?) Informal Tea Time (All Welcome)

ATTENTION: Everyone, when rising for Kinhin or Ceremonies after Zazen, get up slowly, don't rush, hold something stable, you won't be "late," so TAKE YOUR TIME! Make sure you are careful getting up!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093

I also recommend a little Talk on why small rituals and procedures are so cherished in the Zendo:

SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Small Things in the Zendo

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...s-in-the-Zendo
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-24-2022 at 02:22 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I will be there with my bells.

Doshin
    St

Work has me flattened (busiest weeks of the year); I will sit with you all tomorrow.

Naiko
    st lah

Thank you, Doshin. Thank you everyone for being here.
    Has been known as Guish since 2017 on the forum here.

Thank you, everyone. So glad to practice together, and the talk was lovely and relevant.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Dear Sangha,

I wanted to announce this during tea time. I recently applied for a senior leadership position in our international school and I got appointed yesterday. From a Zen perspective, I was extremely happy and emotional but at the same time, there were no thoughts of me having accomplished anything. It was quite a mix of perspectives all at one go. Thank you everyone.

Gassho,
    Sat,
    Suuko.
    Has been known as Guish since 2017 on the forum here.

I enjoyed the livestream on Youtube as I didn't get Zoom up and going in time. What a wonderful time! Made me want icecream (but not too much).

Gassho, Eric
    SatToday/LAH

Congratulations, Suuko!

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    I enjoyed the livestream on Youtube as I didn't get Zoom up and going in time. What a wonderful time! Made me want icecream (but not too much).

Gassho, Eric
    SatToday/LAH
    Oh, lovely! Join us for the monthly next week.. there’s dancing, dharma talk, metta and awesome people

Sat Today
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Hi all

Will sit with you later by youtube. In place of zazenkai, I attended the inaugural clinical workshop for the charity hospital that is being built in my city. It was nice to be in a place where so many people come together to bring about positive change in the community. It was also nice to see the ethic of 'touch one life, touch many' come through in both spiritual and practical ways. It just made me think that we sometimes sit as a refuge from the world, just because that may be how we feel at the time, but that we can also sit 'as the refuge' for the world.

See you live next week (is the plan)

Gassho, Tokan (satlah)

Τhank you Treeleafers! Today it's cool and quiet here, so I enjoyed practicing with you all very much! I guess I will have to remember this feeling the coming weeks, as we get closer to 40°C
    Gassho, Kiri
    Sat/Lah
    希 rare
    理 principle
    (Nikolas)

Quote Originally Posted by Suuko View Post
    Dear Sangha,

I wanted to announce this during tea time. I recently applied for a senior leadership position in our international school and I got appointed yesterday. From a Zen perspective, I was extremely happy and emotional but at the same time, there were no thoughts of me having accomplished anything. It was quite a mix of perspectives all at one go. Thank you everyone.

Gassho,
    Sat,
    Suuko.
    Thanks everyone.

Why no thoughts of accomplishing something? You clearly have! Well done and good luck with the new role!

Gassho,
    Sat
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Suuko View Post
    Dear Sangha,

Gassho,
    Sat,
    Suuko.
    Oh, there is no harm and much good in celebrating an achievement. Yes, you accomplished something (even as, from another perspective, it was the whole world that accomplished this through you. ). It is okay to take some reasonable pride and satisfaction in your reaching this goal you worked for! I promise you that even Dogen and the Buddha were joyous in their achievements, when their plans were realized.

That is very different from being a prisoner of achievement, addicted and overly driven for achievement. That is excess.

And, of course, when sitting on the Zazen cushion ... there are no goals!

So, CONGRATULATIONS!

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Thank you, Doshin. Thank you, Jundo and everyone. A lovelly Zazenkai.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat (no LAH yet, as I just woke up before sitting).
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

Congratulations, Suuko! And thank you, Doshin

Sat with you all today.

Gassho, meian

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Dear Sangha,

Apologies for starting off Verse of Atonement with a glitch. I had my mic on mute!

Doshin
    St

Quote Originally Posted by Onkai View Post
    Congratulations, Suuko!

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat lah

Yes..congratulations.

Doshin
    St

Thank you everyone. I sat with you this morning.

Congratulations Suuko!

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    Dear Sangha,

Apologies for starting off Verse of Atonement with a glitch. I had my mic on mute!

Doshin
    St
    Your Chanting was lovely, Doshin. Great!

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Thank you, everyone. I couldn't sleep this night and I sat with you now. I've really missed it! Now it's time for breakfast.

Gassho, Doğukan.
    Sat.

That was very lovely!
    Thank you Jundo, Doshin and everyone.

Thank you Jundo for your insights.
    Really wonderful speech and Perfect teaching.

Congratulations Suuko!

Gassho
    Anchi
    Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi

Sat with you via YouTube. Lovely!

Gassho
    Judy
    sat/lah

Sat via Youtube. Thank you!

Gassho,
    Greg
    sat/lah

Thank you everyone!
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Sat via YouTube, sorry to be a week late! I truly felt the sense of no time and space, because I certainly didn't feel like I was watching a recording. It was great to sit with you all.

My first (of many to come I'm sure) Zazenkai.

Congratulations Suuko on your appointment!

Sorry to run long
    SatLah
    - Kelly

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Missed a few Zazenkai over the last month or so, unlike me but life intercedes sometimes.
    Caught this one on YouTube and sat.
    Interestingly 2133 days sitting (one missed) since joining Treeleaf. To my knowledge I have never experienced Samadhi. Guess I am still faking it.

Peace and metta to all. Be safe and be well.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

To my knowledge I have never experienced Samadhi.
    Perhaps that depends on how one might define "Samadhi?" Or what one feels Samadhi is.

No feelings of been deeply peaceful, centered, mind very still, emotions calm, "all is right with the world," even blissful? That is very common amid the lighter forms of Samadhi.

Gassho, J

STLah

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Perhaps that depends on how one might define "Samadhi?" Or what one feels Samadhi is.

No feelings of been deeply peaceful, centered, mind very still, emotions calm, "all is right with the world," even blissful? That is very common amid the lighter forms of Samadhi.

Gassho, J

STLah
    I guess what one feels Samadhi is, can only be compared to how others who experience what they believe to be Samadhi is to them. By that association and examples the mild or lighter forms you cite, I would have to say they have occasionally been experienced fleetingly. I sit calmly in peace but rarely with a mind that is still than more than a few seconds, still find myself caught up in thoughts forever returning to the breath. But to me and your teaching and Dogen that is normal and for many years now I just sit, with no thought of achieving or gaining, just sitting. I am not looking to find Samadhi so this is just an observation of my experience. Maybe one day I'll experience something and think ah so that's it and quickly move on. So maybe I am just one of the ultra lights but sitting is sitting. Can't think of any other reason why I keep doing it every day but happy to just sit.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Quote Originally Posted by Seishin View Post
    I guess what one feels Samadhi is, can only be compared to how others who experience what they believe to be Samadhi is to them. By that association and examples the mild or lighter forms you cite, I would have to say they have occasionally been experienced fleetingly. I sit calmly in peace but rarely with a mind that is still than more than a few seconds, still find myself caught up in thoughts forever returning to the breath. But to me and your teaching and Dogen that is normal and for many years now I just sit, with no thought of achieving or gaining, just sitting. I am not looking to find Samadhi so this is just an observation of my experience. Maybe one day I'll experience something and think ah so that's it and quickly move on. So maybe I am just one of the ultra lights but sitting is sitting. Can't think of any other reason why I keep doing it every day but happy to just sit.

Sat
    Just wondering, with the levels of samadhi, does it even matter if you experience something that can be called samadhi (at whatever level). Those levels seem to have quite a different character to that of the non-thinking mind, though having a degree of sameness at the same time.

Gassho, Tokan (satlah)