Thread: A Talk: Our Zendo As A "No Politics Zone"

A Talk: Our Zendo As A "No Politics Zone"

A short talk by me today on why our Zendo is a "No Politics Zone." We leave elections, debates, opinions and causes at the door, and Just Sit. That does not mean that we do not care, but that the dropping for a time of all categories, opinions and oppositions brings a certain Light & Clarity to all the problems of this life and world, including politics. The world, including its political strife, can thus be known in a Wiser way. Then, when Zazen is done, we might return to the opinions and be active supporting various causes, but with that same Light & Clarity now in our heart.

Furthermore, even in a Zen Sangha, there may be times that our Precepts and Vows to aid the Sentient Beings cause us to have some concerns about social policies and political events which we discuss and advocate for very vigorously in the Sangha, helping the poor and working for peace but two examples. Feeding the hungry or cleaning the oceans can be as much part of our Buddhist practices as feeding monks and cleaning the temple floors. Even so, however, in the Zen Hall, for the time of sitting Zazen, it is best to put all that down for a time, and Just Sit.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-31-2020 at 04:56 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I'm so glad that there is a space online free from politics and heated debates about who's right. I didn't need to watch any horror movies today, news did a better job at scaring me.
    Adding new resolution for Ango : to switch off from all the news.
    Gassho
    Sat

Thank you Jundo.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Kyotai
    In my local dojo, we come together to practice an art. Ones personal views, status, religious beliefs or political inclinations etc are completely irrelevant. We all practice together for the betterment of oneself and in turn, ones community.

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST

Quote Originally Posted by Kyotai View Post
    In my local dojo, we come together to practice an art. Ones personal views, status, religious beliefs or political inclinations etc are completely irrelevant. We all practice together for the betterment of oneself and in turn, ones community.

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST
    Yet, within the dojo, we must sometimes bend over backwards to welcome those who may have felt trepidation about entering, or exclusion in the past. We must recognize our long history in Buddhism of not including many sentient beings for being different, and now we take special measures and make special recognition of how welcome we all are ... all exactly the same beyond differences, yet each unique and different too.

We should also be willing to take the Light & Wisdom that one gains in the Zendo and, heading back out into the world, be willing to get active again ... concerned about what we believe in, working for the good in society ... but now with some of that Light & Wisdom too.

Gassho, J

STLah

For those amongst us who are finding this period of extreme upheaval difficult to navigate and would like some support and pointers on how to frame responses, Upaya is running a great Election series for that purpose.
    https://www.upaya.org/program/?id=2376
    Lion's Roar and Tricycle are also running articles on how our practice can support us in such challenging times.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Sattoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Thank you

Jinyo

Sat Today

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    We leave elections, debates, opinions and causes at the door, and Just Sit. That does not mean that we do not care [ ... ] when Zazen is done, we might return to the opinions and be active supporting various causes, but with that same Light & Clarity now in our heart.

Kevin
    #SAT #LAH

Thank you Jundo.
    Gassho 🙏
    Sat today

Meitou, very useful information. Thank you.

Bows
    Anne

~st~

Wonderful sentiments Jundo!

Gassho,
    Brett.

sattoday

I agree, Most and often ALL of Treeleaf Zendo for practice. Thank you Jundo, esp Zazenkai. Thank you Jundo. I've learned.
    Gassho
    sat/ lah
    Tai Shi
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Jundo, thankyou for this teaching. I suspect it much deeper then the words you have posted. Change begets change, and Buddha holds all in his/her palm.

SatToday
    LaH.

Lovely. We sit beyond all political ideology and symbolism, opinions and figures together.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Hi Jundo,
    May I ask for a clarification on some terms? You wrote "our Zendo is a 'No Politics Zone'".

Does "Zendo" in the sentence equate to meaning everything about treeleaf, including the forums, teahouse meetings, zazen periods, and every other activity and communication?

Thanks,
    Jeff,
    Gassho and st

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Naylor View Post
    Hi Jundo,
    May I ask for a clarification on some terms? You wrote "our Zendo is a 'No Politics Zone'".

Does "Zendo" in the sentence equate to meaning everything about treeleaf, including the forums, teahouse meetings, zazen periods, and every other activity and communication?

Thanks,
    Jeff,
    Gassho and st
    Hmmm. Good question, and my use of terms is confusing.

Generally, "Zendo" means the place of sitting Zazen, walking Kinhin, and the like ... where we drop all thoughts of politics, and of everything else from A to Z, while sitting Zazen etc.

However, even in the wider Sangha (our Community) we avoid political discussions, particular candidates, etc. EXCEPT for particular social policies that may be called forth by our Bodhisattva Vows to rescue the sentient beings, Precepts, Wisdom & Compassion, etc. (e.g., environmental policy, feeding the poor, opposing violence, some kinds of social justice such as ending unfair discrimination against certain groups, etc. ).

As well, outside the Sangha ... in the rest of life ... people are certainly encouraged and we celebrate someone getting socially involved and active in the peaceful, non-violent causes which speak to their heart as making a better world.

So, in answer to your question, yes, generally in the forums, teahouse meetings, Zazen periods and (today we explored) even our art center, we leave most politics and candidates at the door, but happy to discuss some causes in light of our Vows and Precepts etc.

Let me know if that clarifies things, and sorry to run long in my comment.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Much appreciated, yes, that does clarify, at least for me.

Gassho, Jeff