Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We Are All in This Together (1)

We Are All in This Together (1)

Hi Everyone,

I'm making a special place right now we're we can all just focus on one thing for awhile. We are all in this together. I will post some words each day to help us keep some perspective, and all our Sangha members can come here to just be together, share together, laugh and cry together for awhile. There is a something that sweeps in even all of this, trust me on that. - Jundo

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-20-2020 at 11:40 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Doshin
    St

This message uplifted me greatly. "Shall we sit with that?"

Gassho
    Sat today, lah

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Geika View Post
    This message uplifted me greatly. "Shall we sit with that?"

Gassho
    Sat today, lah

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Hear you had a rough day, Geika, workwise. Yes?

Gassho, J

SatTOday
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-20-2020 at 08:40 AM.

Gassho
    Onka
    Sat today

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Tapatalk
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Folks can start threads here, by the way, just like in the rest of the forum. Also, we don't just have to talk about ... you know what.

I am also temporarily suspending the "SatToday" requirement for posting, if people find it just too hard for them right now. They can still come here and let off steam. However, "sattoday" is still encouraged for those who can.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday

I'm not necessarily starting a thread, just participating, but hey let's do this!
    My lungs are not playing nice at the moment and I feel and look like a pufferfish from the amount of steroids haha but tonight I'm going to go for a short walk, probably not more than a couple of hundred metres unfortunately.
    My partner and I are not experts at identifying all of the local wildlife and we might not see anything but fingers crossed we'll be able to get a couple of pics to share.
    Be kind to yourselves and look out for each other.
    Gassho
    Onka
    ST

穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Hi Treeleaf Family, it's so special being able to sit n share across all borders with you at this time (even in NZ). Metta and peace to you all, my friends.
    Thank you Jundo and team for this amazing Treeleaf vision/reality of interconnectedness.
    Deepest bows. We are only a screen apart...

Tech Question: Is there an easy way for peeps to post up FSR slots, so others can sit with company? E.g. the Euro crew have a daily 7:30-800am-ish FSR drop-in. Just a thought...jumping online to sit alone is a tumbleweed moment!
    Last edited by Yokai; 03-20-2020 at 08:52 AM.

Indeed, we're in this all together.
    Thank you for the teaching, that lies in how you're shaping Treeleaf for the coming weeks. I pictured it differently, but appreciate your approach very much.

Gassho,
    Kotei sattoday. (not lah yet, because the second hand clothes distribution in the refugee shelter, I would be working at today, was shut down by government order.)

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

I could only walk a couple of hundred metres because my lungs are not in great shape but here's a snippet of stuff we saw. Unfortunately there were a few Froglets that were too fast for me or my partner to capture.
    Be kind to yourself and look out for each other.
    Gassho
    Onka
    Sat today

穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Thank you for your Wisdom Jundo. I agree we're all in this together. My wife is a registered nurse, so we are in the midst of this daily.
    I'm trying to reach out online to people to offer calm words of reassurance.
    I continue my practice of daily Qigong, followed with sitting shikantanza.
    I like the daily snippets idea from Jundo also. Just feels right to be in touch.

We got this 🙏

Gassho
    Koki

Satoday

Kyotai
    Thank you. Wonderful talk

Gassho Kyotai
    St

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

In Time of Pandemic

We entered our home
    Three days ago.
    Doctors screened me
    At our Hospital.
    Temp 99.
    Doctor tells me I'm
    Resilient, to wait for my Zendo,
    A sitting practice at 8:30.
    "All our World is our Temple."
    Zendo the Buddha taught
    Us as Jundo teaches
    Us Shikantaza.
    All is Just

Sitting with our breath
    We sit to offer friends
    Family hope, hopefulness,
    Hope is strongest
    In space, and we matter
    In time, or no time.
    We live now in just
    Sitting, then turn
    To our families, friends
    We sit together, remain
    Together; sit Metta
    For all. Sit together,
    Metta for each other
    For world confused,
    25 billion years
    Come to this,
    With all compassion,
    Equanimity, gratitude.
    What do I have to offer?
    Tai Shi
    sat lah
    Gassho

Thank you, Jundo.
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 04-25-2020 at 01:32 PM. Reason: spelling/ consission
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Thank you, Jundo!

Just to let everyone know also that the priests are going to try to be here as much as we can and please reach out to us if you need support or help with anything.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

I was just on the phone with a relative who was sitting next to someone at a work meeting who was tested positive. He is locked in the house with his 13-year old son trying to stay sane. I was just saying how our grandparents and parents had hard lives. Leaving their own countries, narrowly escaping fascism and nazism, growing up during the depression of the 1930s. My father was so poor they used to get food packages from Europe. As newly arrived immigrants being treated like foreign invaders, regularly arrested and harassed by the police. Then off to World War II and try to survive that and come home in one piece. Speaking with them, these events defined them. They did not have easy lives. Maybe this will be what defines us in some way.

Gassho
    STlah
    James

Dear Jundo, It is been a long time since I don´t connect here. I am sorry to be away. For some reason this crazy time made me think again about Zen and how importante is to be focuzed and centered. I am not talking only about the vírus, but familiar problems that are killing my Zen. I can´t sleep well anymore. Read Suzuki Roshi again (the calmness chapter) trying to get some confort.

I remember the Zen feeling and how good it feels.... I want it back, I am trying to stop carrying this load and become a beginner again.

Quote Originally Posted by yuridayananda View Post
    Dear Jundo, It is been a long time since I don´t connect here. I am sorry to be away. For some reason this crazy time made me think again about Zen and how importante is to be focuzed and centered. I am not talking only about the vírus, but familiar problems that are killing my Zen. I can´t sleep well anymore. Read Suzuki Roshi again (the calmness chapter) trying to get some confort.

I remember the Zen feeling and how good it feels.... I want it back, I am trying to stop carrying this load and become a beginner again.
    A new beginning.

Gassho, J

STLah

"There is a something that sweeps in even all of this, trust me on that." - Jundo

This is just what I needed to hear right now.

Thank you.

Gassho

ZenHalfTimeCrock

ST

Dear Jundo (and all TL Bodhisattvas)

I've not posted very much since joining (I tend to just sit, read what you all have to say, keep my mouth shut, and try learn something).

But I wanted to express my thanks for this video in particular, and for the whole of the Treeleaf sangha's response to these tragic and terrifying times.

Truly, I see GuanYin manifest herself right here, right now.

Gassho

Blaize.

ST

When we are all overwhelmed with how fast things are happening, I want to thank you all for our practice and our Sangha. And also thank you for this comforting message, Jundo Roshi.
    Gassho
    Mateus
    Sat/LAH

Gassho
    Kyōsen
    Sat|LAH
    橋川
    kyō (bridge) | sen (river)

Thank you, Jundo. Learn a lot we all will indeed!
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Onka View Post
    I could only walk a couple of hundred metres because my lungs are not in great shape but here's a snippet of stuff we saw. Unfortunately there were a few Froglets that were too fast for me or my partner to capture.
    Be kind to yourself and look out for each other.
    Gassho
    Onka
    Sat today

Thank you for this, Onka! I love frogs.

I was supposed to be at a flower/garden show today with my Chicago friends. Instead we're texting each other pictures of our houseplants and such. I have some crocuses growing in my front lawn, so that's something.

crocus1.jpg

Gassho

Nenka
    Sitting Soon I Promise

Quote Originally Posted by Nenka View Post
    Thank you for this, Onka! I love frogs.

I was supposed to be at a flower/garden show today with my Chicago friends. Instead we're texting each other pictures of our houseplants and such. I have some crocuses growing in my front lawn, so that's something.

crocus1.jpg

Gassho

Nenka
    Sitting Soon I Promise
    They're stunning Nenka!
    Gassho
    Onka
    Sat
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

May we, together with all buddhas;
    Actualize the Diligence Paramita
    That we may be a light unto all beings
    3Xs
    Thank You Shokai
    Tai Shi
    sat/ lah
    Gassho

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Shi View Post
    May we, together with all buddhas;
    Actualize the Diligence Paramita
    That we may be a light unto all beings
    3Xs
    Thank You Shokai
    Tai Shi
    sat/ lah
    Gassho

Thank you Jundo and all.

Yes many of our ancestors, both biological and Zen, had lives so much harder than we can even imagine. My grandfather came over on steerage to Ellis Island and was dirt poor, but also fought in the war, and my mother had rickets from malnutrition as a child. They overcame.

Please keep posting the lovely little snippets of everyday life and nature everyone!
    Here’s mine:

Anyone remember Ketis from Rohatsu? He provides daily Samu as he rolls in the mud and must be groomed and fed...

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you Jundo and thank you all.

Gassho
    Libby

Thank you Jundo

@Onka: Your videos reminded me of the cute little toads I used to have in my previous backyard. It was a whole family and I made toad shelters of old flower pots. I really have a soft spot for them and it's nice to have found someone who also loves them :-)

Gassho
    Seibu
    Sattoday

Thank you, Jundo. A wise perspective.

Gassho

~ Doug
    SatToday

Thank you, Jundo.

Gassho
    Kendrick
    Sat

Thank you everyone, it's good to know that you are all out there and we really are in this together (that phrase may have a bit of a hollow ring for many Brits!)

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

Hey Guys -

I'm pretty new here, but felt compelled me to reach out.

Such a tough and curious time! I work for a public school system and it was just announced yesterday that our last day of school was a week ago last Thursday when we broke for what we thought was just going to be a couple of weeks. My daughter's in 4th grade and wrestling with the fact that she won't see her friends for god-knows-how-long. My son is happy to be away from the shifting anxiety-ridden social chess games that are typical of 6th grade. My wife, who works from home, is just trying to keep afloat amidst what is now a crowded workplace and a heavy, heavy world. I'm obviously making light here and completely recognize the GA-zillion ways that our family is blessed by something as our problems are "little p" problems that pale in face of those that many others must bear.

Despite all of this, I can't help but notice that spring is POPPING here and there are the MOST BEAUTIFUL flowers in bloom everywhere you look. The creek by our house is absolutely gorgeous and, if you pause, you can hear the water trickling adorned with birdsong. I'm amazed at how the world is born anew each year.

In education, we have "thought partners" to help you understand a common problem. What do you zennies call that, "non-thought partners"?

At any rate, I could use one right now.

Mainly I'm interested in questions about practice, ethics (specifically, The Mind of Clover), and just how beautiful spring is.

Gassho,

-Ryan

Sat Today

Jundo, Thank You so much doe these videos they are inspiring and I am looking forward to the next one. My thoughts on all of this is that (if I understand correctly) a lot of Sanghas looked down on Tree Leaf to begin with because we were not a standing Temple but look at them now, they are doing the same thing. I have a true connection hear and enjoy everything, you have done an outstanding job and I am proud to be a part of it. Keep up the good work.

Gassho
    John
    LAH
    Not SatToday
    Heitou
    平桃

Thank you for this thread.

Things in the UK looking really bad now. My sister lives in NZ and the response of the government there so much quicker and on the mark.
    Prayer and meditation feel like the same thing just now - I pray for all of our workers bravely working on the frontline to try and preserve lives.

The degree of suffering both economic and emotional has reached tragic proportions. In hindsight we may discover silver linings - like re-discovering closeness within our family units and the care and concern of friendships and how totally interconnected we all are. But ... just now - I'm simply sitting with the anxiety and the sorrow and the anger.

I'm also feeling incredibly lucky to have a safe house and lovely garden and even food delivery because my partner and I are prioritized as vulnerable/high risk . Sitting in gratitude too.

But oh to be able to simply hug the people we care about.

Metta to all,

Gassho

Jinyo

sat today
    Last edited by Jinyo; 03-25-2020 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Shi View Post
    ... What do I do pent-up in this house, no 12-step meetings to go to, and 5 of 50 break-out cases in our little town. I'm wondering if I can find that online 12-step meeting again.
    Tai Shi
    sat/need lah
    Gassho
    It seems that there are many. I am sure that you can find some good ones ...

https://www.dispatch.com/news/202003...ms-meet-online

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Dear Tai Shi,

I too am working on a poetry book, and I too have come to a temporary hiatus on it.
    Perhaps we could both take something from the fact that it's rarely the writing that needs reassessment: rather the editing.

Gassho my friend!
    Chris

#sat

Tai Shi, much metta to you, your wife and all your family. May you all be free from this disease and May we through this time with minimal harm. Be well!
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat/LAH

Thank you Jundo. My doctor prescribed a non-narcotic pain relief patch. I am able to wear it 12 hrs a day. I sat zazen successfully today in the afternoon. There is a scheduled zazen in 22 minutes. I will be there. Thank you, Jundo; I reviewed your Dharma talk. I remember my Precept vows on January 10th, 2016.
    Tai Shi
    sat lah
    Gassho
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 04-25-2020 at 01:04 PM. Reason: corrections

I'm glad you are doing better, Tai Shi, and that you managed to sit and recite metta today. Thank you for sitting with us.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat/LAH
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

Thank you Jundo and thank you Treeleaf.

Gassho

Myoho

Sat
    Mu

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Busy week away from the forum, so just seen these messages. Just wanted to say thank you Jundo and to all of mankind, stay safe and well if you can. Metta to all sentient beings.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Listening to an orchestral version of Papagano, grateful for The Magic Flute, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Did not appreciate his music until my 50 s and I want the Requiem to be sung at my funeral. Yet, you can play a Deutshe Gramophone recording and no one will know the difference, and then again; I would settle for our Spanish friend Don Domingo to sing. He's old or dead. He doesn't sing. Yes, my poet friend, you may edit my manuscript, no manuscript yet; soon. Will it be a great book? There is time; another year; time? Doctor says I could live into my 80 s. Almost no hair, another 365 days wasted. Can I make a difference or my daughter? You may help; I will help you--time. Jundo knows my medallion 32 years. Will I live for the 33rd? Doctor called today; his the busiest time in his entire life, to reassure, He knows me well to say, "One day at a time, you'll make 33rd year in the program. You only have one risk factor. Am I afraid, and I tell them 'yes' and go on working." I've known him half of 33 years. He's right to calm me. I listen to music of a middle path, Then Neil Young, love of a mother holding her young one. May the Buddha have compassion on me in my pain, and man forced to reach out; no one wins in war. I don't feel if death as it takes me. I would be a fortunate man. Spaniards in the wrath of plague may be dead; is Domingo an old man like me? My bones defeat me. Thank you Jundo for all you do.
    Tai Shi
    sat lah
    Gassho
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 04-25-2020 at 12:50 PM. Reason: coonsission

I am grateful for your wisdom, experience, and candor Tai Shi.

Between the two of us, I'm sure you are the better editor-- but I am happy to offer you any assistance I can of course.
    "We are our own worst editor" or somesuch: however that saying goes.

Metta!
    Chris

st/lah

Jundo thank you for the videos and this series!

I am curious, are these all filmed at your home/Tree Leaf ??

Gassho,

Ippo

SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Ippo View Post

I am curious, are these all filmed at your home/Tree Leaf ??
    Yes, most are here, in the barn (now the Zendo), or at the old semi-abandoned Shingon Buddhist temple that is just next door. The beautiful temple buildings and cherry trees are there.

Gassho, J

STLah

the old semi-abandoned Shingon Buddhist temple that is just next door.
    I take it that's where the six Jizos are? Can't wait to see and touch when i come to visit you.

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Shokai View Post
    I take it that's where the six Jizos are? Can't wait to see and touch when i come to visit you.

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    No, they are wherever you are.

Gassho, J

STLah

LOL I knew THAT!!

Actually, I was asking if the video was taken in the old Temple Yard

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Thanks for this.

Gassho
    st/lah

Sat with a different Zendo this morning. My friend Kyousui gave me a link to, and as sometimes the case in our "Free" sitting room, no one. I wore brocade rakusu, the one Marjorie brought me from Kyoto, dear Marjorie five years ago, day after her retirement. Never wants to ever be part of Veterans Affairs again, has horrid memories of mismanagement and disrespect. She never says it this way, I can tell. Spoke of this while working there 25 years Social Security Administration 5 years. So as reward 8 days in Hokkaido with our daughter taking her to Kyoto on fast train, beautiful palaces they did not enter. As dear to me as gift of my Sangha. Zen was empty this morning. Lay members slept in. I stand corrected-- Kyousui says I was one hour too early-- tomorrow I'll be in video with two doctors, so will it be Friday I'll join others? Thank you Jundo for all you do.
    Tai Shi
    sat lah
    Gassho
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 04-25-2020 at 12:08 PM. Reason: correction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast