Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: KYONIN (and Jundo's) TRAVEL DIARY in JAPAN

I hope everyone is safe during the storm. Gassho.

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

THIS JUST IN: ALL TRAINS STOPPED TOMORROW ALONG MOST OF KYONIN's ROUTE!

I have told Kyonin to maybe speak to Eiheiji about being given an extra day of Shelter ... I am sure they will have pity ...

(Just in case, I hinted that Kyonin should ask the Eiheiji folks while making "lost puppy dog" eyes while standing next to a statue of Kannon.)

Humor is important in these situations.

Perhaps a good time for this ...

Last edited by Jundo; 10-11-2019 at 06:29 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Kyonin just wrote ....

Yes yes, I'll be nice.

Zazen begins now!

Thank you for all the latest updates and pictures.
    Hope all going to be well with Kyonin at Eiheiji

Gassho
    Washin
    sat this morning
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Two great videos, Gimme Shelter is one of my favourite Stones tracks, this version is awesome and I was unaware of the Playing for Change initiative, so thank you Jundo.
    A lot of thought and discussion around knees and sitting, but what about that hardcore floor cleaning! Everytime I see a video of monks doing that samu, my teeth clench, I'd be better suited to sweeping snow from the entire site with a three twig broom than five minutes on the floor, these monks are amazing.
    In the video, just before we enter the kitchen, there is a sign, can I assume that it says 'kitchen' or similar? I'd like to make one for my appt.
    I'm following updates about the Typhoon, sitting for Kyonin but sure in my heart he will be given shelter, who wouldn't help such a gentle guy. Blessings for his journey in every way possible. Namo Amida Bu!

Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Quote Originally Posted by Meitou View Post
    In the video, just before we enter the kitchen, there is a sign, can I assume that it says 'kitchen' or similar? I'd like to make one for my appt.
    "The kuin (庫院 lit. warehouse hall) is the kitchen of a Zen monastery, typically located behind the butsuden (or, Buddha Hall). Historically the kuin was a kitchen which prepared meals only for the abbot and his guests, though in modern Japan it now functions as the kitchen and administrative office for the entire monastery."

The following says "Dai Kuin" (Great Kitchen), so it is the last two Kanji ...

Gassho, J

STLah

THIS JUST IN from JAPAN RAILROAD:

Notice

It is estimated that operations will be suspended on local lines and Shinkansen [Bullet Train] around the metropolitan area from October 12th Saturday to 13th Sunday due to the approaching of the typhoon No.19. The operation for 12th is scheduled as follows. Also, train operations are expected to be suspended at least until around noon for 13th. Large scale damage is likely, and there is a possibility that line sections that suffer damage will be suspended for a long time.
    We will get him home somehow.

In the following, Kyonin and Eiheiji are on just above the Oct "O" where it says "09 UTC, 12 Oct" on the following map, above the yellow line but within the red serious wind line ... in the fat part of Fukui Prefecture, marked here ...

Tokyo and Tsukuba, where I am, are right along the dotted white line in the center ...

Fukushima Nuclear Facility is exactly 109 miles (175km) north of Tsukuba on the coast, about 2/3rd of the way to where it says "Sendai" on the map. So, we have been through emergencies around here before.

By the way, I hope folks might make an effort to come out for this Zazenkai today/tonight, to support Kyonin who is taking shelter at Eiheiji, and everyone in the face of nature today.

October 11th-12th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - For Kyonin and All in the Typhoon Path
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...e-Typhoon-Path

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-28-2019 at 04:39 AM.

I will be sitting for Kyonin, Jundo and all people in the danger zone.

Please keep on sending us updates on your safety!

Take good care!

Gassho,

Daitetsu

#sat2day
    no thing needs to be added

I'm out of town but I will do a little sit tonight for Kyonin and everyone in the path of this typhoon. Hoping I can sit with the recording Sunday.

Gassho

Nenka

ST
    Last edited by Nenka; 10-11-2019 at 01:37 PM.

A wonderful journal of the trip. Thanks Kyōnin and Jundo. And just getting to Eheiji is hard enough let alone sitting for the day.
    As for the weather, if Kyonin gets stuck Jundo, my son is working at Suzuka for the F1, so he can drop by there and will be taken care of.
    It is amazing how much you have both done! I can only share in everyone’s joy at seeing Kyōnin and yourself wander in the history of Soto zen and Japanese life. Thanks
    Gassho
    Heisoku
    Stlah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Eiheiji has graciously provided a room for Kyonin ... He writes:

Hi Jundo.

They just told me I can stay for just 1 night here. They will prepare a room and will set me apart so I don't interfere with the daily activities.

Hi Jundo.

OK so far it's okay. They put me in a room, told me I can walk some parts of the monastery but I should be mostly in the room.

I can also go outside, but asked me to wait until the rain calms down a little.

I have to leave tomorrow at 9 am.

I have quite a bit of time to sit today.
    I told Kyonin that this is his abbreviated "Tangaryo" at Eiheiji. From our friend Koun Franz ...

After standing outside the gates and finally being granted provisional entry [to the monastery], I was placed with one other monk in tangaryō, a corner room with thin walls and window frames that didn’t quite fit the windows. We were told to sit in zazen all day, and so we did.

We knew this was to last a week, but we were constantly threatened with more. Inspecting monks would burst in at odd hours to see if we were really sitting or not. We were told that if we couldn’t use our bowls skillfully by the end of the week, we would be a burden on the group, and would have to stay one more week in seclusion for good measure. We were constantly encouraged to go home, told that we really were not monk material.

The first night, I went to sleep tired but full of resolve. The second day, it snowed hard, and the snow came into the room through those ill-fitting window frames and gathered on my lap. Thus began a week of being so cold that I couldn’t stop shaking, ever. At night, in bed, I shivered so hard that my jaw ached, and I often felt I couldn’t breathe. And of course, doing zazen literally all day every day, my legs felt as if they’d been hit with hammers. I would lie in bed, moving between two thoughts: first, that I had chosen this, and second, that I did not know why. I tried every kind of pep talk, every kind of mental game imaginable to somehow escape that physical reality, or to feel better, or to feel stronger. I felt I had been reduced to nothing, in a matter of days.

But around the fifth day, I gave up. I gave up trying to make it better. And I gave up hope that it would get better with time. I had settled into a very cool place, as if sitting still in the most remote chamber of a deep, deep cave. I did not feel warm—I was still freezing. My legs still ached so badly that it was difficult to walk to the bathroom and back. I had chillblains on my ears—they looked, and felt, as if they were made of bloody crepe paper. I had let go of my fantasies about how wonderful this would all be, how spiritual. I no longer imagined that I would be transformed here into a certain kind of person, or that I would learn things that no one else knows. I could see in the monks who visited us that while some were quite kind in their strictness, all were human, and some were simply children, enjoying power over someone of lesser rank. Even in seclusion, I could see clearly that this monastery would not transform us all into walking embodiments of compassion. Until that day, I could not have known how much baggage I had carried with me into that monastery.

So I gave up. But I did not quit. I did not do what a rational person might do, which is to pack up my things, politely thank everyone for the food and shelter, and go home. I cannot say why I didn’t leave—I’m certain that at times in my life, I would have. But I stayed. It may seem too simple, but now, years later, much of my understanding of Zen practice comes down to just this: to give up, then to continue anyway.
    https://nyoho.com/tag/tangaryo/
    Priests waiting for admission ...

Poor fellows left to sit in Tangaryo for a week ...

Upper classmen monks spying on the Tangaryo, making sure that everyone is sitting ...

Gambatte (Hang in there in Japanese) Kyonin!

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-12-2019 at 03:51 AM.

Current position. The town hall called for evacuations of some areas of Tsukuba that tend to flood, but fortunately we are not in a flood Zone ...

The big concern is the next town over from here in Ibaraki, about 15 minutes by car, Joso City, which sits below a river dike that has broken in recent years during big rains, inundating a wide area and sweeping away whole parts of the town ...

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-12-2019 at 12:30 PM.

Kyonin adds ...

The monks here gave me a nice and small room. Perfect for just stay put, contemplate and zazen. ...

They even gave me a thermo full of tea. And since I am so cold now, it's fantastic.

That is awful in Ibaraki. So much damage. I hope that Tsukuba can avoid similar flooding.

Glad to head that Kyonin is safe in Eiheiji.

Gassho
    Kokuu

Flooding sucks. Typhoons can be scary. My ex partner and I were flying JAL from Sydney to Japan for an overnight stop before flying on to the UK where we were moving to.
    The flight was getting battered by a Typhoon that was hitting Japan. My ex partner was incredibly unwell from the turbulence and I was trying to convince myself to be strong for her. Looking around as we were buffeted about and dropping huge distances followed by steep climbs all I saw were a plane full of Japanese folk shrieking and laughing with their arms waving in the air. They thought this was tremendous fun while I was convinced I was going to die haha. Looking back it was hilarious but then all I could think of was that this explains my martial arts teacher and his Japanese wife's wacky sense of humour.
    Be safe all of my Japanese sisters and brothers.
    Oh, and Jundo, that description of the first weeks of a novice Monk's journey at Eiheiji sounds pretty hardcore. I'm a bit fond of physical exertion but believe it or not the thing I'd like to be able to do - Skikantaza - I can't because of my blasted spine. I'm quite taken with walking Zazen at the moment, not quite as slow as Kinhin but just as mindful.
    Be well Kyonin. May your pilgrimage end safely in the arms of your loved ones.
    Gassho
    Anna

Sat today/Lent a hand

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Tapatalk
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

I'm just catching up after a hectic week. It's been lovely to accompany you on your journey, Kyonin and I'm glad to hear you are safe. Terrible to see and hear the impact of the typhoon, I will also sit for everyone involved.

Gassho,

Neil

StLah

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Putting aside the catastrophe for a moment, this continues to be a most fascinating journey for Kyonin. Once the storm passes this extra time at Eiheiji will become a cherished memory.

Metta for those in the path of this typhoon and for all suffering from natural catastrophes

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

I’m very glad for your journey, Kyonin. It is wonderful to be able to experience all you are living.
    May you return well.
    And may all affected by this typhoon be well. Metta!
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat today/LAH

Somehow I think that this typhoon is exactly where it is supposed to be (for a typhoon) and Kyonin where Kyonin is supposed to be .
    Wishing everyone a safe stay wherever one finds himself/herself .

Gassho, eva
    sattoday and also LAH

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Good to see Kyonin got a safe haven the night. That Gimme Shelter video was a wonderful thought Jundo. What a great cover too boot. Loving this story unravel.

Sat / lah

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    "The kuin (庫院 lit. warehouse hall) is the kitchen of a Zen monastery, typically located behind the butsuden (or, Buddha Hall). Historically the kuin was a kitchen which prepared meals only for the abbot and his guests, though in modern Japan it now functions as the kitchen and administrative office for the entire monastery."

The following says "Dai Kuin" (Great Kitchen), so it is the last two Kanji ...

Gassho, J

STLah
    Thanks for this Jundo, I'll make a little gift for my personal Tenzo.
    So sad to see the flooding in Ibaraki, it must be terrible for people in Japan to see this, triggering memories of the Tsunami, images which I'll never forget. I'll sit and offer Metta for all who are suffering.
    I'm very glad to know that Kyonin was allowed to stay at the monastery for the night, I hope he wasn't as cold as Koun Franz anyway - that was quite an inspiring story.
    I sit hoping that he continues his journey safely and that your community in Tsukuba avoids major damage.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    sattodaylah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Dear All,

Here is what I wrote Kyonin on the plan for today ...

After the typhoon passes tonight, you will be surprised how lovely and clear the weather should be in the morning. The air will be fresh, and the sun soon shining.

Any way you can, get to Fukui Station [the closest major hub] pretty early when they kick you out at 9am. It may be a bit chaotic, and the trains might still not be running, but they will have the best information at the ticketing office, speak English, and try to help you at the JR [railroad] information office. The good news is that there are many routings from Fukui to get back ... There are many different train routings to these places around here from Fukui, so I am almost positive that you will get back to Tsukuba within tomorrow (Sunday 11/13). Something will be running ... I will see you tomorrow night.

In the worst case, I will come get you. Don't worry. You won't miss your flight.
    So, the sun is shining and the sky is clear, and that is the plan. Kyonin just wrote that the bus seems to be working from Eiheiji to Fukui. The monks brought him breakfast, and he is setting out after that.

At Treeleaf, only minor damage that I can see, stuff that even I can fix. Back field is flooded. Our old pig house (pigs long gone) is still standing, which is amazing as only the termites are holding it together I think!

pig house.png

The Zendo looks like it made it.

On the other hand, in our community, the town hall is still sending notifications about possible river flooding and land slides. That is true in other places around Japan too ...

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20191013_24/

Our Zazen today is for all victims of natural events here and around the world.

Gassho, J

STLah

PS - (If anyone is thinking of a donation, Japan is generally very well off. I would suggest one of the organizations like Doctors without Borders that rushes to places around the world less well off).
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-12-2019 at 11:09 PM.

Hi guys,

Just a little update.

Yesterday it was a very scary day because the typhoon was coming but I had to leave Eiheiji right in the middle of the storm.

I asked for shelter, but at first the monks said no. Jundo talked to someone and they finally let me stay one more night. I guess that when they realized the size and fury of the typhoon, the changed their minds.

They gave me a room a nice futon, but for security reasons they asked me not to leave the room. With no Internet, I've had quite a bit of time to sit zazen while listening to the rain, the temple bells and the monks chanting.

They were super nice and kind to me. They made sure I was warm, fed and confortable. I am very grateful to them.

So it's the next day and it's still raining, but not as hard. Bus is working again and that will take me to the nearest train station.

Wish me luck in my adventure back to Jundo's home.

Gassho,

Kyonin

I'm not posting pictures because I am saving data. I want to have my connection available while I go back to Tsukuba. But I'll post some as soon as I can.

Enviado desde mi SNE-LX3 mediante Tapatalk
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Be safe Kyonin. What a great adventure!

Gassho
    Ishin
    Sat/lah
    Grateful for your practice

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonin View Post
    I asked for shelter, but at first the monks said no. Jundo talked to someone and they finally let me stay one more night. I guess that when they realized the size and fury of the typhoon, the changed their minds.
    Yes, that is one reason. Also when they realized the size and fury of my loud voice (although coupled with a peaceful heart) when I heard they planned to turn you and some other folks out at 9am yesterday with the storm making landfall. I think I used words on the phone like 慈悲 (Jihi, Compassion) and inquired of their ほとけの心 (Hotoke no Kokoro, Buddha's Heart) to even think about putting people out in a massive storm, some of whom don't speak Japanese and have no idea where to go with no trains running! I think that realization, and my mention that it would look awfully bad when the story came out on Facebook, helped change their hearts too! What were they even thinking?

So it's the next day and it's still raining, but not as hard.
    Oh, the skies are clear and cloudless here!

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-12-2019 at 11:33 PM.

Thank you, Jundo and Kyonin, for keeping us informed of what is happening. I wish you safe and comfortable travels, Kyonin.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat

All train lines now running inside metropolitan Tokyo (except for some flooded areas in the outskirts), and from Tokyo to Tsukuba ... so, if we can now get Kyonin as far as Tokyo today, he will be okay.

Gassho, J

STLah

Trouble now seems to be the train line between Fukui and Maibara, which he needs. It is listed as service disruptions, and partially blocked, but no details.

Good news! Kyonin just wrote ...

Hi Jundo!

I am now at Fukui station. The people at the JR desk changed my tickets for today.

I am waiting now to board the 11:36 train for Maibara. All is fine so far
    I wrote ...

Yeah. Okay, get a seat on left side of Shikansen facing front of train ... and don't sleep through and miss Mt. Fuji. I will be very upset. Remember that Fuji san will be lovely today. It will be visible out the left side windows as you face the front of the train. I think it is most visible after you pass Shizuoka, and around Shin Fuji, on your way to Tokyo.
    No snow on top of Mt Fuji or cherry blossoms this time of year, however. So, I will substitute this photo ...

Let us celebrate Kyonin's travels with a little more of the Okinawan Drum group that he and I saw, who combine traditional Okinawan dance with Karate Kata moves ... I have become a big fan. This is a great song ...

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-13-2019 at 02:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Yes, that is one reason. Also when they realized the size and fury of my loud voice (although coupled with a peaceful heart) when I heard they planned to turn you and some other folks out at 9am yesterday with the storm making landfall. I think I used words on the phone like 慈悲 (Jihi, Compassion) and inquired of their ほとけの心 (Hotoke no Kokoro, Buddha's Heart) to even think about putting people out in a massive storm, some of whom don't speak Japanese and have no idea where to go with no trains running! I think that realization, and my mention that it would look awfully bad when the story came out on Facebook, helped change their hearts too! What were they even thinking?

Oh, the skies are clear and cloudless here!

Gassho, J

STLah
    Never mess with a Zen Lawyer!. Glad it worked out, and yes you would think under the circumstances such negotiations wouldn’t be necessary.

Gassho
    Ishin
    Sat/lah
    Grateful for your practice

Kyonin has written that he is now successfully on the Bullet Train ... but may have to stand for the whole trip of about 3 hours, as the train is mobbed.

I encouraged him to get off along the way, stretch his legs, and try a later train (they run about every 30 minutes). If he gets a seat, of course, we should yield for the elderly, ill and pregnant.

Someone posted online this selfie from inside a bullet train on such a crowded day. ANOTHER "REAL JAPAN EXPERIENCE" for Kyonin!!! It is kind of like being on a 727 ... but standing. The "Hikkari" train he is riding reaches speeds of 270 km/h (168 mph). (The somewhat faster Nozomi ... which costs more ... reaches 300 km/h (186 mph)).

I am guessing that the food cart won't be passing today? I wonder.

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-13-2019 at 04:53 AM.

PS - Of course, Japan is now working on development of a replacement for the Bullet Train ... rather faster ...

What is the Maglev train’s top speed? In April 2015, a manned superconducting Maglev train broke two previous land speed records for rail vehicles. The train was clocked at 603 kilometers per hour or 375 miles per hour. This is much faster than the Maglev trains already operating in Shanghai, China ... which run at speeds of 268 to 311 miles per hour ...

SC Maglev, or superconducting magnetic trains, were developed by the Central Japan Railway Company and the Railway Technical Research Institute beginning in the 1970s. Maglev trains work on the principle of magnetic repulsion between the cars and the track. The word maglev is actually a combination of the words “magnetic” and “levitation.” The magnetic levitation, or floating of the train, is achieved through the use of an electrodynamic suspension system, or EDS.
    You do get to your destination faster, that is for sure. The only small trade off will be, of course, that passengers are rendered incapable of having children. Folks with hip replacements may find themselves stuck to the floor. Oh, and those pesky earthquakes ...

I believe that they will run mostly through an underground tunnel, and the first leg will open in about 8 years if all goes to plan.

Gassho, J

STLah

I was very anxious after following the news reports, so thank you for these reassuring updates Jundo and Kyonin, what a trip this has turned out to be.
    Sitting today for all those suffering as a result of the typhoon, hoping that those people reported missing make their way home.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Kyonin has boarded the Tsukuba Express ....

What a relief that all turned out well And what a journey for Kyonin to remember!
    Thank you both for the latest updates.
    Sitting today's Sunday sit for all affected by the natural events.

Gassho
    Washin
    ST
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

What an adventure...
    Metta to all affected by natural events.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

KYONIN (and Jundo's) TRAVEL DIARY in JAPAN

As Kyōnin said ..the Dharma works!
    Gassho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Kyonin has arrived!

In truth, we are luckier to have him here than I first thought today, as several of the Bullet Line train routes he would have taken are under water, and there are many people suffering tonight.

At the same time, Kyonin is cooking something called Chilaquiles Verdes for dinner in the kitchen, and we are just very grateful to be together with the storm passed.

Gassho, J

STLah

Metta to the families, friends and loved ones of those who lost their lives, homes and loved possessions.
    Glad Kyonin arrived safe. The footage here in Australia showed soooo much carnage and high speed trains under water.
    Be well comrade Kyonin, you really have *experienced* Japan now lol.
    Gassho
    Anna

Sat today

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Tapatalk
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Happy to hear Kyonin made it back safely!

Metta to all affected by the typhoon! I have seen a few pictures of the damage on the news here in Canada and it is quite sad.

Gassho,

Junkyo
    SAT

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

What an adventure this whole trip has been! Truly lifetime stories.

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat.

Good images and story of the typhoon in today's NYTimes...
    Blessings to everyone impacted by this storm.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/12/w...gtype=Homepage

Gassho
    Anne

~lahst~

Thankful for Kyonin's safe homecoming and that you all, and our precious Zendo, withstood the storm.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    sattodaylah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

On Kyonin's last day in Japan, we traveled a bit to some special Buddhist sites near Kamakura. Dogen visited Kamakura in 1247, and some of Zen's great monasteries are there or nearby.

Our first stop is not so famous, but an unusual site that I have taken people to many times: The Taya Caves.

Taya cavern is an extensive cave carved into a hillside on the outskirts of Kamakura by Shingon Buddhist monks from 1192 until 1720. It is located on the grounds of the Jousenji temple, and as it is rather off the beaten path, you won’t see many tourists at this fascinating historic site. Shingon is one of the early sects of Buddhism to come to Japan; history has it that it was first brought to Japan in 804 AD by Kukai, a Japanese monk who traveled to China and brought back the teaching. The word “Shingon” is the Japanese reading of the Chinese word, Zhēnyán (真言),which is a translation of the Sanskrit word Mantra, or “mystical words.” Shingon is the Japanese school of Esoteric Buddhism ... Visitors are given a small candle to help illuminate the carvings one sees along the way. I would recommend bringing a flashlight in order to better see the carvings. The passageways open up into 17 domed chambers with intricate carvings up the walls and around the domes. Natural streams trickle through the walls, and are channeled along the walkways in some of the chambers. Traditionally, Shingon monks would practice their austerities in the cave, and not leave- as they engaged in meditation, chanting, carving, and fasts- for days or weeks at a time.
    Marks on the walls show that the caves and sculptures were all hand carved by Buddhist practitioners over a 500 year period, and that those practitioners would often shut themselves into the caves for long periods of time for a regime of carving, chanting, meditation and isolation. Here are some pictures of the inside ...

Next, we visited a Soto temple located on top of a hill featuring a peace memorial in the shape of a massive Kannon Bodhisattva's head rising over the town, as well as building stones that were at ground zero in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, still burned and black from the heat. 1000 Crane Origami (folded paper) chains can be seen in the background, created by people as a prayer for peace. A flame is kept burning said to be lit originally from actual fires that burned at Hiroshima on that day. The priest of the temple invited us to listen to his Sutra Chanting for peace around noon.

... to be continued ...
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-15-2019 at 02:05 AM.

In Kamakura itself, we visiting one of the great Rinzai monasteries, Engakuji, and then the famous Great Amida Buddha of Kamakura. Here he is sitting side by side with Kyonin. Frankly, Amida's posture could use a little adjusting while sitting Zazen, but I guess it is hard to carry such a heavy head!

We finished at the nearby Hase Kannon Temple, which among many other moving features, has a sea of Jizo Bodhisattvas, each dedicated to a child who was unborn or died in life. Small toys are often placed with the statues as a offering to the children, or hats and cloaks knitted to keep them warm. This kind of garden of Jizos can be found at many temples in Japan.

The temple also features a massive wooden Sutra Wheel, a rotating cabinet of Sutra scrolls stored inside. Each rotation of the wheel is said to earn all the merit of actually having recited all of the Sutras contained therein. Very time saving!

We returned early enough for Kyonin to treat my family to tacos ... Guadalajara style (he will tell you all about why Mexico City folks get Tacos all wrong). In any case, they were great, and even my finicky kids ate a plate full with refried beans and guacamole,

We will close Kyonin's pilgrimage with a short Zazenkai before I run him to the airport bus. Please join us if you can.

Special Farewell Zazenkai for Kyonin
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...kai-for-Kyonin

The sitting will be dedicated to all those suffering natural disasters. On our way to Kamakura today, we crossed some of the rivers which had overflowed and saw the city streets nearby still filled with mud and debris.

Gassho, J

STLah

PS - Oh, and before heading home, we briefly stopped by at Cyberdyne (actual name, for you Terminator fans), the robot and cyborg manufacturer located here in Tsukuba. Their main cyborg suit is call HAL (yes, I know) ...

Last edited by Jundo; 10-14-2019 at 11:01 PM.

Hi everyone,

I type this on my last sunrise in Japan. I still can't believe all the things I have seen and done.

I will need a few days to settle and process everything. Thanks to Jundo this thread will serve me a way to put everything in order and remember.

Sorry for not posting as much, but most of the days I started my days way before dawn and had to go rushing all around. And also the little keyboard of the phone and my big gorilla fingers are not a good combination for long posts.

Anyhow, I am getting ready to depart. It will be great to sit in our zendo one more time... I was about to write "... To sit next to Jundo one more time... ", but this is the wonder of Treeleaf. We always sit right next to each other, erasing the illusion of distance and physical location.

Thank you all who made all this possible. Even when this trip got scary, I felt loved and protected by all of you. Thank you.

Now on for my last couple of hours here. I think I might get some curry before boarding the plane

I'll post again when I get home. Please ask Jizo to protect all travelers today.

Gassho,

Kyonin

Enviado desde mi SNE-LX3 mediante Tapatalk
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Ah, Japanese curry. Not to be confused in any way with Indian or Thai curry. It is my kid's absolute favorite dish, not too hot and often sweet, and is seen in our house at least once a week.

Here is more than almost anyone needs to know about Japanese curry.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-14-2019 at 10:12 PM.

Kyonin, we sit with you, yes.

gassho
    doyu sat today

IMG_0689.jpg
    Last edited by Shōnin Risa Bear; 10-14-2019 at 10:18 PM. Reason: adding the local Jizo
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Kyonin,
    I’m very happy for your trip. We all came along with you through this thread. Thank you very much for your’s and Jundo’s posts. May you have a good flight back to Mexico.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat today/LAH

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast