Thread: Another Hermitage stuff

Another Hermitage stuff

Another seemingly plain or mysterious piece written TODAY by Dogen:

A white heron
    Hiding itself
    In the snowy field,
    where even the winter grass
    Cannot be seen

It echoes this verse from our ancestor Tozan in the Hokkyo Zanmai, The Jewel Mirror Samadhi :

Like a silver bowl filled with snow
    like a heron hidden in the moonlight

These two poems are pointing at Raihai, "devotion-merging action", "prostrating onself to", Raihai is the essence of the ceremony, a ceremony beyond ceremonies. A ritual beyond rituals. We don't bow at something, rather bowing for bowing, the bowing disappears, concealed in the brightness of the Moon, the radiant nature of this whole reality.

Sitting, we do not sit to manifest Buddha, we sit and we vanish into Buddha manifesting beyond our grasp or control.

This practice leaves no traces behind, no footprints in the snow or blablabla on a forum.

The self merges with the self, forgotten in this where everything is contained, beyond emptiness (snow) and manifestation (winter grass), beyond sitting practice ( snow) and original face. Here the ideas about me and others, relevance or irrelevance, likes and dislikes don't apply.
    The heron-snowy-field is one glowing flight where this and that are cast away, where form and formless are dropped, form and emptiness, body and mind, shinjindatsuraku, not bothering about being bothered or not bothered.

Forget the heron in the field of practice, and be-snowy-heron-field-you-me-others.

The way we cook our life here.

gassho

Taigu
    Last edited by Taigu; 07-31-2012 at 11:02 PM.

Thank you Taigu. Funny yesterday I was bitching about not parroting this or that and complaining about why I don't like rituals.. when in fact I was complaining about my idea of rituals... not what Zen practice really is about at all.

This says it all:

These two poems are pointing at Raihai, "devotion-merging action", "prostrating onself to", Raihai is the essence of the ceremony, a ceremony beyond ceremonies. A ritual beyond rituals. We don't bow at something, rather bowing for bowing, the bowing disappears, concealed in the brightness of the Moon, the radiant nature of this whole reality.
    Enough words, time to practice

Gassho,

Risho

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu View Post
    Sitting, we do not sit to manifest Buddha, we sit and we vanish into Buddha...
    Thank you,

Daido

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Taigu View Post
    Sitting, we do not sit to manifest Buddha, we sit and we vanish into Buddha manifesting beyond our grasp or control.
    Thank you Taigu, I too like this point ... I will sit with this.

Gassho
    Michael

Thank you for sharing these verses, Taigu. We studied Raihai Tokuzui for Sanshinji's May genzo-e, where I first heard Dogen's verse. As relevant as it was then.

Gassho,
    Shujin

A Wonderful teaching Taigu. Thank you. Gassho.
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Thank you Taigu-oso
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Ah! Great!
    Gassho and thanks.
    Myozan