Thread: I Don't Know

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I Don't Know

When "I don't know" drops "I want to know" liberation blossoms effortlessly.

With gratitude,

Dokan
    We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
    ~Anaïs Nin

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Dokan View Post
    When "I don't know" drops "I want to know" liberation blossoms effortlessly.

With gratitude,

Dokan
    Very nice Dokan ... thank you.

Gassho,
    Michael

Dokan,

Interesting, but I would have switched that for myself. When I drop "I want to know" then "I don't know" offers liberation.

Weird, this zen.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Quote Originally Posted by Dosho View Post
    When I drop "I want to know" then "I don't know" offers liberation.
    Also true! Thank you Dosho.
    We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
    ~Anaïs Nin

I want to know.
    I don't know.
    Don't know.
    Not knowing.
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Thank you, Dokan.

Gassho,

Kyonin.
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

disastermouse
    I don't know if I know, y'know?

Chet

Yugen
    Then what do ya know?

There's a koan "Not Knowing is the Most Intimate" in the Shinji Shobogenzo - there is a relationship between "knowing" and "not knowing" that is dynamic, as Dokan and Dosho have both pointed out. I, like Dosho, do well to be in a place of "not knowing" - it keeps me open to the fact that my life is right now, rather than wanting it to be some other way..... but wait..... that is the "knowing" that comes with liberation!

The koan reminds me that being stuck in "not knowing" prevents me from moving beyond and being open to the present - which is a form of "knowing"- direct experience - perhaps there is a dynamic cycle of "not knowing" and "knowing," like that of vow and repentance.... attachment and liberation? "Knowing" in this case is transient.... moment to moment...... just as reality is composed of delusion and enlightenment....

Gassho
    Yugen
    Last edited by Yugen; 07-10-2012 at 05:27 PM.

Don’t know is just sitting.
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

I don' t know what you all talking about...

Gassho,
    Marek

Standard practice in every Kwan Um school sitting was.. "Only Don't Know!".... and a slap on the floor. Sometimes just a slap on the floor.. and once a slap on the floor and "the red floor is red!"

Gassho. kojip

I don't know either. But if someone does know, don't tell me.

Quote Originally Posted by Myozan Kodo View Post
    I don't know either. But if someone does know, don't tell me.
    Ok, so I'll just do it.
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO

ha, this great! Even though we don't know, we should want to know, but not be attached to wanting to know; it's wanting to know that makes us human. If we just say don't know, ok no big deal, we could fall into complacency. But isn't true not knowing, still wandering the path of wanting to know all the while accepting what you don't know? If I drank, now would be the time for me to have a few. hahahah

Quote Originally Posted by Risho View Post
    ha, this great! Even though we don't know, we should want to know, but not be attached to wanting to know; it's wanting to know that makes us human. If we just say don't know, ok no big deal, we could fall into complacency. But isn't true not knowing, still wandering the path of wanting to know all the while accepting what you don't know? If I drank, now would be the time for me to have a few. hahahah
    First questions and answers have absolute value and are tied to the gut, so they are dukkha. Then all questions and answers are resolved at their root in "don't know"... non-dukkha. Then questions and answers return, but are not longer an absolute value, no longer tied to the gut, and are not dukkha.

Post quota filled for today...

Quote Originally Posted by Risho View Post
    That's a head spinner.
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO

I know that I Don't know
    _/|\_ Gassho with deeply respect
    慈 ji 氣 ki : Energy of Compassion