Thread: Paramitas and the Bodhisattva Precepts

Paramitas and the Bodhisattva Precepts

Hi All,

I just finished reading most of the Mind of Clover and briefly skimmed Reb Anderson's book on the precepts as well. I am wondering how the 6 or 10 (depending on the tradition) paramitas relate to the 16 Bodhisattva precepts and to our practice in this lineage altogether. The paramis have occupied a pretty central place in my practice for many years and they would seem to serve the same purpose as the 16 precepts but I have yet to encounter reference to them in my reading and explorations here and in Soto in general. I am looking forward to the opportunity to partake of Jukai this year and hope to get a better understanding of this lineage and way of practice. Mettaya!

Gassho,

Mike
    To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

Hi Mike,

Ah, there are some "sit-a-longs" on this very non-thing. Somehow, they have vanished here on the new Forum, but they are at the below link too. Scroll up from the bottom.

Ten Pure Virtues or "Perfections" (Paramitas in Sanskrit) are fundamental to the Bodhisattva path.

http://www.treeleaf.org/cgi-bin/mt/m...ogs=2&limit=20

Gassho, Jundo
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Rev. Jundo,

Thank you.

To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog