Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Zazen Challenge

My Zazen Challenge

Like everyone, sometimes I develop a bad habit of not sitting. I've decided that instead of looking for excuses I am instead going to make a commitment, a vow (to myself and to all beings) to sit every day for one entire year. Rain or shine, healthy or sick, I can sit Zazen for at the very least 10 minutes a day. Thanks to Jundo I even know how to sit in the event I catch the flu!

http://www.treeleaf.org/forum/viewto...p=64281#p64281

I'll update every so often so that I might be held accountable by the sangha and of course if anyone wants to take this challenge with me, I'd welcome the company.

_/_

Jigetsu

Re: My Zazen Challenge

I think I'll take you up on that.

Sounds like reasonable goal(goalless goal that is :wink: ) to me! Will you be sitting on G+ so others can join in your sits?

Gassho,
    Hoyu

Awesome! I'll join you guys on G+ when I can. I'm in the eastern timezone.

Gassho,

Risho

Funny, I was just thinking about doing something similar, as in the past couple of weeks with illness and other craziness, I've really been practicing poorly.

I'm game.

When are you officially starting?

I planned on officially starting this evening! No time like the present. In so far as G+, I'd love to once I figure out how to use it.

Hi Jigetsu,
    Good luck with your practice.
    Gassho
    Myozan

Cool, well, maybe we should post daily. Only takes 10 seconds to post a quick message saying "Day X: Sat!"

It was on my mind to post after my sit. Just that I sat and not the duration, it's not a competition. I'm game to do that!

good idea; ok I'm sitting right now i missed the morning due to a hectic work day.

April 20th, 2012 - Sat Zazen (day 1 of 365)

Re-commit to sit! Great idea!

Gassho

Jen
    (day 1 of 365 also)

Quote Originally Posted by Nenka
    Re-commit to sit!
    Nice!

1/365 check

Quote Originally Posted by Kaishin
    Re-commit to sit!
    Nice!

1/365 check
    Lovely! Count me in!

Gassho, J

1/365

Yugen

Check - 1/365.

I'm with you!

Gassho,
    Yugen

2(early morning Zazenkai )/365

Being as though it will span a whole years worth of lifes ups and downs I think it would be nice if we post a little extra info from time to time. It doesn't have to be like keeping a journal or anything too involved. Just noting those little rubber meets the road moments of our practice and our sitting in spite of them.

For example:

185/356 (Bad cold today "Sitting with what is" is great practice!)

What do you all think of this idea?

Gassho,
    Hoyu

1 was yesterday. It was about ten minutes long, caught in the last minutes before my boyfriend got home and turned on all the electronics in our little studio.

I haven't done today's yet. I think I will take some private time in the bathroom to do so.

I haven't done today's yet. I think I will take some private time in the bathroom to do so.
    As good a place as any. Our practice has no boundaries!
    http://www.treeleaf.org/sit-a-long/with ... calls.html

Gassho,
    Hoyu

Had a rough day mentally, I tend to be my own worst critic. Sitting alleviated some of that stress! 2/365.

Jigetsu

Mind if I join you? ( a day or 2 late)

Gassho
    Shohei

Hi all,

I applaud what you all are doing, but for me sitting isn't somehting I'm going to promise that I will do every single day. I'm a recovering perfectionist, so I'm going to pledge not to concern myself with sitting every day. I'm merely going to promise that when I do sit that I shall make it count! And I truly believe that by the end of a year's time I'll have sat more with that pledge then the one you are proposing. But I'm not knocking it...NOT AT ALL...it's awesome! Just different ways up the mountain and I know what gets me to the cushion.

Good luck to all.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Quote Originally Posted by Shohei
    Mind if I join you? ( a day or 2 late)

Gassho
    Shohei
    Of course!!

2/365 check

long day... Wife and I passed out on couch after putting kids to bed, next thing I know we wake up and it's almost 11pm. Of course I wanted to just move right to bed, but what excuse not to sit for even 10 minutes? No excuse!

_/_

3/365 check

Headache zazen

3/365

Quote Originally Posted by Kaishin
    Headache zazen
    Ouch! Hope it feels better soon _/_

Eyes couldn't decide if they should be open or closed. 3/365

I've lost count. lol. But I'm consistent. I'm happy for this thread; sometimes I feel bad for missing zazaen. It's nice to have us all supporting each others practice.

Gassho,

Risho

I will join in too starting from yesterday since Sunday is the official first day of the week. So I sat yesterday evening for 15 min. I try to sit for 30 min. at a crazy 4:30 am :shock: with a group on Google+. However, I am streaming most of the time without the webcam. I need to download the Google+ app for the ipad, I keep forgetting to do that. Sometimes I oversleep (go figure being that it's 4:30 am) or Hunter wakes up so end up sitting in the evening between 9:30-10:00 pm.

1/365

Gassho,
    Ekai

Quote Originally Posted by Risho
    I'm happy for this thread; sometimes I feel bad for missing zazaen. It's nice to have us all supporting each others practice.

Gassho,

Risho
    Yeah. I don't know about you guys, but sometimes I need a kick in the ass. Consistency is a problem for me; I miss one day . . . and then I miss two . . . and then . . .

Gassho

Jen
    3/365
    (and 1 oriyoki of 52--I've revived my post-jukai idea of practicing it once a week)

Hi all,

When I first read through this thread I was thinking of folks like me who sometimes turn sitting everyday into pressure. But then I read Risho's post and decided to jump in because I want to support what you guys are doing. And I actually encourage those closet perfectionists like me to join in too...it's ok to "fail" and you are no less dedicated...I think this thread can be for us too. Unless anyone objects, I/we are in!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Quote Originally Posted by Risho
    I've lost count. lol. But I'm consistent. I'm happy for this thread; sometimes I feel bad for missing zazaen. It's nice to have us all supporting each others practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dosho
    Unless anyone objects, I/we are in!

Gassho,
    Dosho
    No objections here! All are welcome.

1/365 - sat a while last night. Set up for tonight.

gassho
    Shohei

I'll play too.

Sat this morning and will sit this evening. 1/365.

Gassho,
    Alan

ps. are people going to post everyday? 2/365, 3/365? Wouldn't the thread begin to get a little unweildy? Perhaps just weekly updates? I guess it doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by alan.r
    I'll play too.

Sat this morning and will sit this evening. 1/365.

Gassho,
    Alan

ps. are people going to post everyday? 2/365, 3/365? Wouldn't the thread begin to get a little unweildy? Perhaps just weekly updates? I guess it doesn't matter.
    That's a fine question I'd leave for the mods.

Tosh

I like a quote from a Joh Kabbat Zinn book; he says "You don't have to enjoy it, you just have to do it!"

It's one of those simple, not easy things. :mrgreen:

My Zazen Challenge

Good luck everybody!

Gassho,
    Pontus

Yep - I can be really inconsistent. Let's all encourage eachother.

Will probably leave a note when I'm not managing

Gassho

Willow

Unwieldy how? Not like it's a deep discussion! Anyone not participating can ignore the thread anyway. I post every day, if nothing else to keep myself honest.

Two was in the bathroom...
    Three was reclining on the pillows...

4/365

Coming down with a cold zazen

Keep er going!

Not a matter ultimately of "long or short" ... and even one moment's sitting holds all time and space ... one day manifests every day, and there's nothing to achieve (thus we diligently sit each day, gaining non-gaining!) ...

... but no limit on how long this thread either! Plenty of bandwidth. 8)

Gassho, J

1/365

Gassho,
    Dosho

I am getting less healthy, but 2/365 (a short sit before falling over lastnight)

Gassho
    Shohei

Yugen

Tuesday 4/365 - Sitting in the mornings for 15' to start the day.... I'd like to build that habit. Sitting 30' in the evening on G+... I find the company and support very helpful and invigorating to practice. It's nice to know there are friends out there to sit with.

Gassho,
    Yugen

Ambitiously tried to sit on the bank of the downtown river waiting for the annual Fiesta River parade. I was surrounded by people and worked to just sit in the moment however it was. I managed several minutes before my 6 year old daughter plopped down beside me, hugged me and said "Thank you for bringing us to the parade Daddy!" Zazen _is_ all of life. 4/365

_/_
    Jigetsu

Count me in. I sat last night before bed. Day 1/365 done!

-Sam

Well, there's always the signature line!

Gassho

Jen

Gassho

Jen
    Jen, thank you! That's a great idea!

The only reason I even asked was for completely selfish reasons. Sometimes I just don't want to be on the computer at all, especially in the summer, even if it's for a ten-second post; one ten second post leads me to checking all my emails, blogs, news sites, weather, book reviews, etc. Also, I usually step away and disappear to meditate in woods or someplace for at least a couple weeks in the summer. I rarely miss zazen (though mornings can be difficult before work), but I know I would completely forget to post here. Signature line for me and perhaps I'll do an update here and there. In any case, half hour sit this morning and will do a longer sit this evening: 2/365.

Gassho,
    Alan

Gassho

Jen
    Great idea Nenka! I was also wondering about the everyday post thing before Alan posted his idea. I liked his suggestion and decided to just post 1 end of week recap. Now I think I'll switch to the adding it to the signature line instead

Just another idea I had for the way I'm going to keep track of my sitting is to go the rout of something similar to a boxers record. Just in case I miss a day here or there :shock: :lol:

Something like this:
    Let's say it's the end of the year. 350/15/365
    Out of 365 days I sat 350 and missed 15. This way I will have a new target for next year....any number greater than 350(of course 365 would still be the main (targetless) target of course :wink: )

Gassho,
    Hoyu

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast