Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Zazen Challenge

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My Zazen Challenge

Like everyone, sometimes I develop a bad habit of not sitting. I've decided that instead of looking for excuses I am instead going to make a commitment, a vow (to myself and to all beings) to sit every day for one entire year. Rain or shine, healthy or sick, I can sit Zazen for at the very least 10 minutes a day. Thanks to Jundo I even know how to sit in the event I catch the flu!

http://www.treeleaf.org/forum/viewto...p=64281#p64281

I'll update every so often so that I might be held accountable by the sangha and of course if anyone wants to take this challenge with me, I'd welcome the company.

_/_

Jigetsu

May all beings be happy! 23/365
    To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

May all beings be free from pain and sorrow! 24/365
    To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

It's the Universe. It's reality. I just sit, even when not sitting.

You guys inspire me.

Thank you.
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Happy Fathers' Day! 25/365
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

Happy Monday! 26/365
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Khalil Bodhi View Post
    Happy Monday! 26/365
    Excellent!
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

53, I think. Got a little sloppy in my practice last week.

But here we are!

Jen

28/365...I think I missed a post somehow.
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

28/365...I think I missed a post somehow.
    One cannot possibly miss a post even though we might miss a post. Thus, you should diligently and sincerely seek to post in this thread each day, never missing a single post.

One cannot possibly miss a sit even though we might miss a sit. Thus, you should diligently and sincerely seek to sit each day, never missing a single sit.

Thus, we are challenged to keep sitting and make the sitting real in life, even as there is no "we" to challenge and the sitting is ever already sat!

Such is the "My Zazen Challenge" Koan

Gassho, Jundo
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

29/365...

Rev. Jundo,

Great koan, now can someone tell me what it means... Just kidding. Anyway, during today's sleeping sit the story of the man who preferred fake dragons to real one keep repeating itself in my head. Sometimes I wonder if I'm romanticizing zazen...Metta to all!

Gassho,

Mike
    Last edited by Khalil Bodhi; 06-21-2012 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Spelling
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    One cannot possibly miss a post even though we might miss a post. Thus, you should diligently and sincerely seek to post in this thread each day, never missing a single post.

One cannot possibly miss a sit even though we might miss a sit. Thus, you should diligently and sincerely seek to sit each day, never missing a single sit.

Thus, we are challenged to keep sitting and make the sitting real in life, even as there is no "we" to challenge and the sitting is ever already sat!

When we practice we sit even when we can't.

Gassho
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Been a rough few weeks

37/25/365
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaishin View Post
    Been a rough few weeks

37/25/365
    Make sure you read Jundo's post above...rough weeks are practice too and shouldn't be counted as missed days, in my opinion at least...not to suck up to the teacher or anything.

Gassho,
    Dosho

I guess this zazen challenge is as good as any. Count me in. So far I'm 0/365.

I think I'm at something like 56/8/365.

Or maybe it's 1/1/10,000.

Fuzzy math.

Gassho

Jen

1/365 It was much needed. For some reason I woke up stressed out and angry...

30/365...good night everyone!
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

31/365...Good morning everyone!
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

Mp
    32/365...no coffee zazen.
    Nice!

27/365

-4/365 but back on track this am
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

On my new zafu, 1/365 - 1/1. Next sit, California! (Starting over, or just beginning, or always just beginning!)
    _/\_
    Jigetsu

3/365 although the last two were fairly short.

33/365...broiling mind-body zazen...I almost couldn't keep myself on my zabuton...
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

23/365 since June 3, not easy to sit daily but so far so good
    Thank you for your practice

39/27/365 ..
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Sorry, I am late to this thread. I have been traveling and my sitting has been...well,lax.
    1/365
    Jeff

4/365 Watched the zazenkai. Nice to see I'm not the only one that meditates in the midst of a crazy two year old...

34/365...not enough sleep zazen.
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

35/365...trying not to get caught up in the idea of a good sit...

Gassho
    __/\__
    Mike
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

36/365...seeing the dukkha in the impulse to add or take away from just this...

Gassho
    __/\__
    Mike
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

...seeing the dukkha in the impulse to add or take away from just this...
    ... is Truly Seeing ...

Gassho, J

7/365 I'm going to be the best meditator ever!

Quote Originally Posted by catfish View Post

Quote Originally Posted by catfish View Post

Go Team Catfish! Knock 'em dead!
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

Days 3 & 4/365. Ain't nothing to this.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by wellfed View Post
    Days 3 & 4/365. Ain't nothing to this.
    Actually, there is nothing to this.

Gassho,
    Dosho

37/365...trying to stay with whatever arises and receive it with gratitude.

Gassho
    __/\__
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

38/365...

Gassho
    __/\__
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

5 & 6/365
    Gassho
    Jeff

39/365...

Gassho
    __/\__
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

7 & 8/365
    Gassho

44/2/365 (sat/missed/Goal)

Not sure how to report once we've missed. While I was out on travel I had two days where I simply could not work it into my schedule. I insta'd a couple times (not much else to do on an airplane).

My trip really threw off my sitting mojo for a bit. Lots of stormy clouds and strong desire to get off the pillow. This past week I've been a little bit more in the groove. I still cannot get past 20 minutes before my legs are very asleep and it gets quite uncomfortable, but I am going to try to push it to 25 minutes starting tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by richss View Post
    44/2/365 (sat/missed/Goal)

Not sure how to report once we've missed. While I was out on travel I had two days where I simply could not work it into my schedule. I insta'd a couple times (not much else to do on an airplane).

My trip really threw off my sitting mojo for a bit. Lots of stormy clouds and strong desire to get off the pillow. This past week I've been a little bit more in the groove. I still cannot get past 20 minutes before my legs are very asleep and it gets quite uncomfortable, but I am going to try to push it to 25 minutes starting tomorrow.
    I have written this here before

Also, it is not about how long or short one sits, and is truly beyond time ... although it is good to sit longer if you can.

Counter-intuitive perhaps, but if you sit longer, trying harder to get somewhere or to get something ... it is not Shikantaza.

If you sit, diligently and sincerely, beyond long or short, trying hard with nowhere to get, dropping to the marrow all need to get ... one truly gets somewhere, and it is Shikantaza.

Gassho, J

9/365.....

12/365 only 353 more til I re-set my counter!

Re-set? Wait...what?...you mean were supposed to keep doing this?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast