I'm counting on my reading audience being well-read in Zen literature, which I'm sure most of you are; and as a result I am hoping this request will be successful. I also hope that this thread is not in the wrong section.

Many years ago, long before I became interested in Buddhism and Zen as beliefs and a way of life, I read an excerpt of a conversation between a young Japanese warrior noble and a Zen master, naturally a monk, that took place I think, and I stress I think, I could be wrong, in the latter half of the 13th century at the time of a major war in Japan wihich was I think a dynastic struggle for overlordship between feudal Japanese noble houses or it may have been at the time of the attempted Mongol invasions of Japan. My memory is very vague on the matter so I would appreciate any help that I can get.

Anyway, the conversation went along these lines with the young noble saying to the monk, "What I hate and detest are fear and cowardice" with the monk answering "Would it not be better to cut off the source of fear and cowardice by cutting off the self?"or words to that effect.

Now what I want to know is the text that this account of the conversation is from, who the monk and the young noble were, and the circumstances and context in which this exchange took place.

It has been annoying for years not knowing the full details of this exchange and if anyone can help me I'd be most appreciative. Many thanks.