Thread: Who I am? And so who loves?

Myoshin

Who I am? And so who loves?

Hi everybody,
    The question about who I am is difficult to understand, I know about emptyness, and so on, but what would be the answer of that kind of koan?
    Moreover, I was thinking about someone, and my second question is who loves if I am empty? Do I have to understant that love doesn't exist or is another kind of illusion?
    Thank you for your answers about the simples buts difficults basics questions

Gassho to all

Yang Hsin

Re: Who I am? And so who loves?

Quote Originally Posted by yang hsin
    Hi everybody,
    The question about who I am is difficult to understand, I know about emptyness, and so on, but what would be the answer of that kind of koan?
    Moreover, I was thinking about someone, and my second question is who loves if I am empty? Do I have to understant that love doesn't exist or is another kind of illusion?

Gassho to all

Yang Hsin
    Who are you? Who would know that better than you? I can't give you an answer. I think you will have find that out for yourself. Hell I don't know who I am

What do you mean when you say empty? Empty doesn't mean that we don't exist, or that a table doesn't exist or love is not real, etc. I mean if you think a table doesn't exist then try to run right through it. If you don't think that love exists, tell me if you've had a broken heart. Empty means that things are empty of a self-existence, completely independent from everything else. That's not how it is. Things exist in relationship with everything else. They are all linked.. but they are also separate. These are just words, these are things that I need to realize and you need to realize yourself. The only way to do that is to practice.

Gassho,

Risho

Nindo

I am empty
    I am all things
    I love
    all things love
    everything loves everything
    I breathe the love of the universe
    in
    and
    out

Will an answer change your love?

Who I am? And so who loves?

Quote Originally Posted by yang hsin
    Hi everybody,

Gassho to all

Yang Hsin
    NO!

Love exists! You exist!
    Don't get stuck in an idea of emptiness!
    I really, really dislike the word emptiness... It so easily leads to nihilism. You are just not a permanent, unchanging, separate entity. Everything is interconnected, whole, interdependant, co-arising, changing, experienced in every moment.
    Intellectualization about Sunyata will only lead to wrong views.
    In my view, there is no answer, only understanding of reality.

/Pontus

Well said Pontus!

Yang Hsin - I recommend reading 'The Heart of Understanding' by Thich Nhat Hanh.

I feel he brings great clarity to this question.

Gassho

Willow

Kannon loves if you are empty or if you are not. Have you seen Kannon?

Well, as a married "Zen Monk" celebrating his 20th wedding anniversary this year, this is the Koan for me too! A good one for Valentine's Day.

Yes, "you" and "your beloved" and all things of life are (from the "Great Non-Perspective") but projections of the mind, not truly there, ... shadow puppets, not actual separate beings, kind of a dream. Basic Buddhism 101.

Now, that being said ... live your life, dream one's dream, love your love! 8)

In Buddhism, we live free of passions, emotional extremes, harmful emotions-thoughts-words-actions, not bound by attachments.

So, live and love passionately ... yet not as a prisoner of passions. Love deeply, but without falling into sick extremes. Embrace one's lover in one's arms ... but do not cling. Avoid anger, speak to each other gently. Savor each day together ... but be always ready and willing to see it end (for all things are impermanent, even timeless loves) :cry:

Not so easy sometimes ... but that's why they call it "Practice!" :wink:

And be tolerant and see beyond the imperfections of one's beloved ... the things that "drive you crazy" (Frankly, this is something my wife is expert with in dealing with me, more than the other way around! :roll: )

Yes, love is just a dream. Sometimes a painful dream. But, what a wonderful dream!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Gassho, J

There's an old saying from an island on the west coast of Sweden,

The farmer said to the bull,
    Get married and you won't be so insolent anymore! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Nindo
    I am empty
    I am all things
    I love
    all things love
    everything loves everything
    I breathe the love of the universe
    in
    and
    out
    Deep bows. I shall sit with this.

As you love, love.

as simple as that

gassho

T.

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu
    As you love, love.
    Priceless... :!:

Quote Originally Posted by willow
    Yang Hsin - I recommend reading 'The Heart of Understanding' by Thich Nhat Hanh.
    QianXin, I have a French version of it at home! If you want, I can give it to you when you come to sit ...

Have a nice day everyone!

deep deep gassho,
    Jinyu

And I thought it was MasterCharge that was priceless !! :lol:

Emptiness is fullness.

Being empty, can you point your finger away from your self?

occasional clouds
    one gets a rest
    from moon-viewing
    ---Bassho

gassho
    Greg

"Who am I" is a question I carry around for maybe a year or two. The funny thing is maybe, that over time the question became a fact, indeed, who am i! I think I will carry it for much longer, its a good question to ask.
    And love does exist, the pure, true love is compassion, its always there, just sometimes covered in a busy mind.
    _()_
    Myoku

Recently I have asked to myself : ,,Who am I ?".

There was no answer.

But there was wind blowing behind the window, dog eating his food, and ... ,,Oh man, this tea is delicious".

Who am I ? kind of morphed into What is this? and it opens the now.

Who loves? The sun has so much love that it must be taken in small doses