Thread: Who am I Zen Noir

Who am I Zen Noir

Cool Video

[youtube] [/youtube]

Kyotai

Re: Who am I Zen Noir

Entertaining as well

I watched this just last week and turned it off after 20 minutes. Maybe I missed something...just didn't get it.

Gassho

Dokan

Quote Originally Posted by Dokan
    I watched this just last week and turned it off after 20 minutes. Maybe I missed something...just didn't get it.

Gassho

Dokan
    There is a lot going on in this movie. on the surface it doesn't make any sense, and there are some points of (O_o)
    but it is worth the watch....just for the idea....

Hi.

I my humble opinion, "Zen noir" is one of the best "Zen"movies of all times.
    Simply superb.

I mean, just look at this...

[youtube] [/youtube]

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

I found it a pretty good low budget flick, but ya have to be a fan of both Zen stereotypes, old noir detective movies, Mickey Spillane and the like. I have actually known a few Zen Sangha (there are a few now) so disfunctional that things are not so far from that! :|

The part at the end about the orange (if I recall, its been awhile) is pretty darn good.

Maybe it would be right for our film club.

Gassho from the Balcony, J

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    IThe part at the end about the orange (if I recall, its been awhile) is pretty darn good.
    I agree. It mixes the detective inquiry with a sort of cinematic zen koan to tell a moving parable.

Gassho

Rimon

Jundo wrote:
    Maybe it would be right for our film club.
    Hi All,

Zen Noir is already on our list

Gassho,
    Hoyu/John(Treeleaf Usher)

Hi Just going to toss in my 2 cents for all its worth and it aligns with Fugens

Okay first time I watched I giggled at the stereo types put forth, the interesting posture .... To be honest some of the very pointed stereotypical "Zenny" ( i do not like to use that term but will as its well understood) attitudes - I LOVED the fellows Who's on first routine (WHAT IS YOUR NAME?) Articulate Lotus flowing from the source... I mean AWESOME -and face it we ...well I will say I as not to offend or drag anyone down with me... I have been just about to that same level pompous assery (maybe not out loud...maybe though, and people were just to kind to say so ) and it happens. Great mirror in a way...look at it!

However I get that it could be misconstrued as garbage...but like sifting the rice and sorting out the pebbles, perhaps in this case you may find its like sifting through pebbles (kinda neither for me) sorting out the rice... Frankly which ever way it is there are real gems in there- the orange scene top to bottom, just sitting for his first time (heck we have all been there to a degree and sometimes go back!), trying to get out, who am I etc
    I think tomorrow I will re watch this.

Gassho
    Silent Awakening, True Calm...

Hi!

Beautiful movie... a bit of non-sense and our mind doesn't like it. It felft like being on a boot at sea ... during a storm... you just don't know where the thing is going to :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Shohei
    Okay first time I watched I giggled at the stereo types put forth, the interesting posture .... To be honest some of the very pointed stereotypical "Zenny" ( i do not like to use that term but will as its well understood) attitudes - I LOVED the fellows Who's on first routine (WHAT IS YOUR NAME?) Articulate Lotus flowing from the source... I mean AWESOME -and face it we ...well I will say I as not to offend or drag anyone down with me... I have been just about to that same level pompous assery (maybe not out loud...maybe though, and people were just to kind to say so ) and it happens. Great mirror in a way...look at it!

However I get that it could be misconstrued as garbage...but like sifting the rice and sorting out the pebbles, perhaps in this case you may find its like sifting through pebbles (kinda neither for me) sorting out the rice... Frankly which ever way it is there are real gems in there- the orange scene top to bottom, just sitting for his first time (heck we have all been there to a degree and sometimes go back!), trying to get out, who am I etc
    Thank you for this sincere comment Shohei... I appreciated it very much!

I liked this film a lot. Pretty good commentary by Brad Warner on the DVD, too.