Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Google+ Treeleaf Sangha Page

Awesome job Chris and the team, I really appreciate all that you do.

Gassho
    Gary
    Drinking tea and eating rice.

Hi Lipor,
    Yes, I sleep. Is it enough? Probably not. But I really must say, I enjoy what I do here. It's part of my practice, and it benefits many. We are also still working out all of the small details that come with new sites like this. Soon the dust will settle and I will be on to another project of some kind. Thank you though for noticing all of the effort WE (not me) have put into making this a great new home for our Sangha, it's been greatly appreciated.

Gassho,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by lipor View Post
    Thank you christhatischris .... but I am beginning to wonder, with so much work doing here, are you getting enough sleep?? Every time I log on I can see so much hard work and new things and tweaks....truly truly thank you
    And he still finds time for sitting! Deep gassho to Chris for his dedication 🙏
    Ho (Dharma)
    Yu (Hot Water)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyu View Post
    And he still finds time for sitting! Deep gassho to Chris for his dedication 🙏
    What he said! :-)

Ron

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Small update. G+ checks to see if you are still there if there is no 'activity' (read: zazen). Therefore you can grab an extension for Google Chrome browser that will keep you active and not disconnect you!

I've successfully tested it by letting a hangout run the whole evening without being disconnected.

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/131680

Thanks to Kojip for the tip!

Gassho,

Dokan
    We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
    ~Anaïs Nin

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Dokan View Post
    Small update. G+ checks to see if you are still there if there is no 'activity' (read: zazen). Therefore you can grab an extension for Google Chrome browser that will keep you active and not disconnect you!

I've successfully tested it by letting a hangout run the whole evening without being disconnected.

Gassho,

Dokan
    Thanks for this, I have added the extension to my browser and we will see how it works out.

Thanks for the tip
    Thank you for your practice

I've been having problems with G+ and my Logitech C310 webcam, I just discovered the following on G+ Known Issues, hopefully it will be resolved soon, in the mean time back to the laptop...

We're aware of an issue some users are experiencing wit
    h their microphones and/or webcams not working in Hangouts and Google Chat. We are investigating this issue and working on getting it resolved. Please make sure that you are not using one of the microphones or webcams listed in the Known Issue below, because those are not supported by Hangouts.

Hangouts does not support certain mics and webcams Google Hangouts does not support the following devices:

Webcams

• Logitech webcams (C310, C910, etc.) don't work on Mac OS X 10.6.7 or earlier

Microphones

• Tascam US-144

Audio Chipsets

• Realtek ALC883 Audio Codec, Version 6.0.1.5413
    • Conexant 20585 SmartAudio HD

Hi Dokan. I'm not sure how to join a hangout... Do hangouts form and disappear? or is there a specific page for each hangout I can go to at the allotted time? I tried to join the 6:30 am (EST?) sitting this morning, but was unable see it by either going to the Treeleaf google plus page , or going to your link in the schedule... any suggestions ?

Last weeks Zazenkai popped up on the treeleaf google+ page. but this is somehow different? Thank you.

Gassho, kojip

Hangouts are dynamic. If someone is sitting, and you have them in one of your circles, then you'll see that sit in your stream. If nobody is on, you can start a sit by clicking "Hangout" in the top right corner of the Google Plus page. Myoku has wrote a wonderful guide that is available on the Treeleaf Sangha G+ page.

On my phone right now but try this link:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzeO...EU/edit?pli=1#

Gassho

Dokan

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2
    ~Anaïs Nin

Is anyone using the hang out successfully on iPad 2?

Gassho
    Gary

Hi Gary..I have used hangouts on Ipad2 using the G+ app and it has worked well. The only thing is it doesn't show up after logging in on G+ on my laptop!?
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Thanks Heisoku that's reassuring, I have an ipad 2 arriving this week.

Gassho
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Heisoku View Post
    The only thing is it doesn't show up after logging in on G+ on my laptop!?
    G+ won't save the hangout post if nobody else joined. One way to get it to save however is to post a comment to it...although I'm not sure how it works with iPads.

Gassho

Dokan

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2
    ~Anaïs Nin

Well, as far as I got it (no iPad myself, Android here), on iOS devices you cannot yet start a regular hangout; you can start if from "Messenger" there, but this unfortunately means its not showing up on other peoples streams (on other devices, like PC, Mac, Android tablets). Thats the last I heard from iOS users. No workaround until a new g+ apps appear for iOS.

Quote Originally Posted by Myoku View Post
    Well, as far as I got it (no iPad myself, Android here), on iOS devices you cannot yet start a regular hangout; you can start if from "Messenger" there, but this unfortunately means its not showing up on other peoples streams (on other devices, like PC, Mac, Android tablets). Thats the last I heard from iOS users. No workaround until a new g+ apps appear for iOS.
    Furthermore, depending on the Android device, you may not be able to start a Hangout but only join one. On my Samsung Galaxy Tab I can start a hangout no problem. However, on my Samsung Galaxy phone I can only join. I had read it has something to do with front facing camera drivers or other tripe. Anyway, I find my laptop (while cumbersome) more reliable for me anyway.

Gassho,

Dokan
    ~Anaïs Nin

Kyotai
    Just to clarify, so if I am starting a hangout for zazen, I must invite all from my aquaintance (which is where everyone from trealeaf is placed)? Will inviting not send an actual invite out to all members? I just want people to be able to join the hangout if they wish.

Shawn

If you start a hangout from a "normal computer" (that is _not_ a mobile phone, at least in most cases), you have to invite us, so the hangout is visible in our stream (thats the info shown to us when we log into g+). It not means we get an email or message, so just invite us
    _()_
    Myoku

ps.: From most mobile devices (phones, tablets) a hangout can only be run from "Messenger", which would indeed create a message being sent to the people you invited.

Kyotai
    Good enough, thanks

Shawn

Thanks for the tip!

Last 4 hour zazenkai I got prompted twice. I will install this ASAP!

Quote Originally Posted by Dokan View Post

Gassho,

Dokan
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Kyotai
    Just a quick question regarding privacy and google +. A few friends of mine have added me to their google + circles. Because I use this primarily as a way to stay in touch with the treeleaf community, I prefer them not to be able to view my profile. I assume they cannot see my details unless unless I add them to a circle..even though they have added me?

Thanks

Shawn

It depends, Shawn,
    on the (almost) top right of the google+ page is a gear icon; which lets you - once clicked - go to the Settings.
    On this Settings page on the left are various menu items, one reads "Profile and Privacy", click this to get to
    the privacy settings; Now on this page you will find a "Edit Visibility on Profile" button (it should be the first
    grey button from top), NOW you are on the relevant page.
    Yes its a bit complicate and yes, there are MANY options, for each item of your profile you can set if its visible
    to the world, your circles, only you, and so on (just click on the icon left of each profile line).

Its pretty clever, but not obvious, feel free to ask again.
    _()_
    Myoku

Just got an update for iOS Google plus app which unable you to start a hangout.

Gassho
    Gary

I guess its should read "enable" ? Hopefully
    _()_
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Myoku View Post
    I guess its should read "enable" ? Hopefully
    _()_
    Peter
    Ha ha, the g+ app for iPad is crashing on start up for me, so unable isn't far off the truth just now.
    Although the iPhone version is fine so far and the hangout worked, it also seemed to stay in the stream without a comment but I added one anyway just in case.

Gassho
    Gary

Kyotai
    One more question, in general, when someone is hosting a hangout for zazen on google (You see several every day) Is it usually open to any and all to join....? I don't want to jump in on a zazen hangout if it was meant to be more private.

Shawn

Shawn,
    when you see it, you are free to join it. If someone starts something private, he should invite only those people he want to see, and if this doesnt include you, you wont see it. So in short: Please join
    Gassho
    Myoku

Kyotai
    Are Mic's always on mute?

Quote Originally Posted by zen_rook View Post
    Are Mic's always on mute?
    In general, yes. I will usually put that in my status, e.g. "Zazen 30 minutes, mic muted" --just so people don't expect a conversation
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Hi Rook.. and fellow Ontarian. There is a morning sitting from 630-700 am EST. I'm going to try and keep it consistent 7 days a week... hangout starting at 6:25 and ending 7:05.. No talk. Just the bell...and a little time for chanting the vows after the sit if that is what you do.. drop in at any point if you feel like it. gassho.
    Last edited by RichardH; 07-11-2012 at 09:24 PM.

I always leave my mic on, but I warn people in my comment that I have nature sounds playing, and there is a bell every 5 minutes on my phone that may also be heard. And yes, Jundo, the nature sounds are part of my practice - no binaural beats, no music, just birdsong. The bells used to startle me, now I'm simply amazed at how quickly time flies when I'm sitting.

Gassho,

Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by ZenHarmony View Post
    I always leave my mic on, but I warn people in my comment that I have nature sounds playing, and there is a bell every 5 minutes on my phone that may also be heard. And yes, Jundo, the nature sounds are part of my practice - no binaural beats, no music, just birdsong. The bells used to startle me, now I'm simply amazed at how quickly time flies when I'm sitting.

Gassho,

Lisa
    Hi Lisa,

We should really sit with whatever noise there is ... noise and silence as one. So, for example, we have some helicopters (from one of the military bases around here) and many cars that pass by Treeleaf Tsukuba, and also birds singing in the trees. We do not push away any of it ... birds just birds, helicopters just helicopters. To think that birds are lovely, yet helicopters are a racket ... misses the true Silence of Zazen.

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hi, Jundo!

I knew you were going to say that, but I feel that the birdsong that I play is mainly just an extension of the birdsong that is outside my window, it blends in so well. But it is also a signal to my mind/no-mind that I am in zazen mode, and allows me to let go of any anger I may have at my husband's interruption with his whooping and hollering downstairs. Since I am such a beginner, can you allow me this crutch until such time as I no longer "need" it and can let it go, as I will be able to let the outside distractions go? Or do I really need to get rid of both the birdsong and the bells right now and simply deal with the frustration? I defer to your better judgement...

Gassho,

Lisa
    Last edited by ZenHarmony; 07-12-2012 at 07:38 AM.

Kyotai
    Quote Originally Posted by Kojip View Post
    Hi Rook.. and fellow Ontarian. There is a morning sitting from 630-700 am EST. I'm going to try and keep it consistent 7 days a week... hangout starting at 6:25 and ending 7:05.. No talk. Just the bell...and a little time for chanting the vows after the sit if that is what you do.. drop in at any point if you feel like it. gassho.
    Thanks Kojip, I have seen some of your hangouts open on google. I will drop by at some point for sure.

Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by ZenHarmony View Post
    Hi, Jundo!

I knew you were going to say that, but I feel that the birdsong that I play is mainly just an extension of the birdsong that is outside my window, it blends in so well. But it is also a signal to my mind/no-mind that I am in zazen mode, and allows me to let go of any anger I may have at my husband's interruption with his whooping and hollering downstairs. Since I am such a beginner, can you allow me this crutch until such time as I no longer "need" it and can let it go, as I will be able to let the outside distractions go? Or do I really need to get rid of both the birdsong and the bells right now and simply deal with the frustration? I defer to your better judgement...

Gassho,

Lisa
    Hi Lisa,

Well, that is fine much like counting one's breath for a beginner. However, I will suggest that the Real Fruits of this practice are where one can sit with birds and helicopters, whooping cranes and hollering husbands.

Here is a filmed talk by Suzuki Roshi (one of the few) in which he speaks of the birdies being not only outside us. You may notice that, in the talk, he finds the birds the annoying sound! Where are the birds singing?

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-13-2012 at 12:56 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you, Jundo!

That was what I was trying to get across, in my own stumbling way: I don't actually listen to the birdsong; it's simply part of the environment, but a constant that is grounding, like my heartbeat, or my breath, and at the same time, soothing.

While I was sitting the other night, someone was nailing boards across the lane, which wasn't distracting at all. Even though it was in fits and starts, it had a rhythm that seemed to fit in with the rhythm of my heartbeat and seemed natural and right. I was sorry to have the time end, and came back much more slowly than usual, enjoying the sound a bit longer. There were kids whooping and hollering from the same yard, but they really didn't penetrate my session in any way, shape or form... they just were. It was definitely a wonderful experience and gave me hope.

Gassho,

Lisa

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123