Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Google+ Treeleaf Sangha Page

Re: Google+ Treeleaf Sangha Page

I like your idea as well, Dokan. Thanks for sharing the Plumline link -- I don't venture much outside my own limited interests online.

gassho,
    Shujin

Quote Originally Posted by rculver
    That's awesome! Maybe make a Plumline circle on G+ and get into the habit of "inviting" that circle as well?

What do Jundo and Taigu think?
    Well, sounds fine if it is just sitting together.

If it is any more than that, such as listening to talks by TNH or practicing mindfulness meditation or this and that, I would say no to the idea, and that folks in our groups should just sit Shikantaza and other practices in the way we sit and practice here.

My off the cuff response.

Gassho, J

First of all, I love to sit with others (as I love to sit alone :-D),
    however I'm pretty split about this one: I think everyone of us should decide by himself whether or not
    he likes to include plumline in his circles, and thus has the opportunity to be invited or invite members
    of plumline. Basically I think we should keep "our zendo" being "our zendo", because we do shikantaza
    and when it gets fully open I'm not sure where that leads to. Everyone is invited to do shikantaza with
    us though. Hmmm, not sure if thats a helpful post :-/
    _()_
    Myoku

Hello,

just my very biased and purely personal half-baked two cents based on personal encounters and some research into some the management of Plum Village that .
    On an individual level (with my local sitting group where I live) everyone is allowed to join in as long as it's clearly acknowledged that what is being offered is Treeleaf scented Soto-Zen.
    On an institutional level I personally want to have nothing to do with Plum Village and organisations/groups officially tied to them in any way (didn't have time to check out plumline, so in case this doesn't apply feel free to just forget my post).

No Death , No Fear is one of my favourite books on the subject of Death and Dying btw., so I don't just diss everything they are doing

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Quote Originally Posted by Myoku
    First of all, I love to sit with others (as I love to sit alone :-D),
    however I'm pretty split about this one: I think everyone of us should decide by himself whether or not
    he likes to include plumline in his circles, and thus has the opportunity to be invited or invite members
    of plumline. Basically I think we should keep "our zendo" being "our zendo", because we do shikantaza
    and when it gets fully open I'm not sure where that leads to. Everyone is invited to do shikantaza with
    us though. Hmmm, not sure if thats a helpful post :-/
    _()_
    Myoku
    Ok, on second (non)thought ... listening to the insights of Myoku and Hans, I change my vote to no ... for the reasons stated by Myoku. As he said ...

I think we should keep "our zendo" being "our zendo", because we do shikantaza
    and when it gets fully open I'm not sure where that leads to. Everyone is invited to do shikantaza with us though.

Still willing to change back again if I hear another insight otherwise. I am a wishy-washy guy like that.

Gassho, J

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    I am a wishy-washy guy like that.
    So you mean I can't take refuge in you being the source of Ultimate Truth anymore?? :shock: :lol:

/Pontus

Jundo;
    Don't change your vote, Mongen and Myoku are right. "Couldn't hurt!" does not apply. Lets stick with TreeLeaf flavored Treeleaf!
    I'm for getting the sitting room back in-site! :mrgreen:

Hello, my friends!

Please correct me if I' m wrong but if I understood that well from Dokan post, guys from ,plumline' are sitiing in particular time right? and they want to just sit, 30 min, right? so I can join them or not and I can make my sitting widely public when I want to or sitting only with Treeleaf circle.

Let me be clear with my statement: I don' t want add ,plumline' circle to Treeleaf circle. G+ has that advantage over facebook that I can decide which people from what circle is going to know what I' m doing right now.

If I have to add ,plumline' circle to Treeleaf circle I don' t want this.If this will create some kinds of commitments between ,us' and ,them' I don't want that either...

Sitting with Sangha in the first place. Sitting with ,plumline' occasionally or even with someone from the other tradition - why not - but of course sitting shikantaza from Treeleaf sangha tradition

So I call G+ page as a G+ Zendo and I agree with you that it should be Treeleaf zendo - don't want any differents here. But also I don' t want to be close for those who want to sit with us time time.

...I hope I was clear enough in that post ...so what you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Everyone is invited to do shikantaza with us though.
    I think this sums up my feelings quite perfectly. And this is why I wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by Dokan
    Maybe just pick a time that we agree is our busiest (seems around 8 pm Central) and then post it publicly to the Treeleaf G+ page.
    By posting this to the Treeleaf page publicly, all it does is allow others to join us for a sit...anyone.

I personally set all my sittings to public, and have had quite a wide group of people join me...some just stare at me, some sit with me...

At the end of the day, this is why I brought it up. If we should keep the doors to the zendo closed to just those in our sangha, I'm ok with that as well. I know I'm quite extroverted, but accept that others may only want to sit with people they know and are familiar with.

Right now I won't do anything. However I still feel that maybe a regularly schedule "Treeleaf Open Sit" to the public would be a nice thing to share our practice.

Gassho,

Dokan

However I still feel that maybe a regularly schedule "Treeleaf Open Sit" to the public would be a nice thing to share our practice.
    The weekly zazenkai would be perfect for this, no ? Maybe a info at g+ and a link to the respective forum would do.
    _()_
    Myoku

Dokan wrote:Maybe just pick a time that we agree is our busiest (seems around 8 pm Central) and then post it publicly to the Treeleaf G+ page.

By posting this to the Treeleaf page publicly, all it does is allow others to join us for a sit...anyone.
    I still feel that maybe a regularly schedule "Treeleaf Open Sit" to the public would be a nice thing to share our practice.

Gassho,

Dokan
    And I think this is a great idea, Dokan. After all sharing our practice is not mixing it with others traditions. It is simple, make us open to anybody and in the same time Treeleaf sangha will be Treeleaf sangha without worries about to much ,openness' .

Google+ Treeleaf Sangha Page

I'm with Marek. As long as the two groups don't get lumped together. My microphone/speakers are off when I sit on G+, so no "cross contamination" can occur. ;-)

Ron

Shugen

I usually invite tree leaf circle to my sits and I also invite a couple of friends who are not part of this sangha. I also have a circle called dharma friends, that includes all types of traditions. I choose not to invite that circle as I dont want to accidentaly end up seeing someones tantric practice ops: or see levitation (Okay I might want to see that), listen to loud drums, etc...I think if we're "just sitting" the more the merrier. I know a few of you have sat with my friend Michael Love, he's not a tree leaf member and it doesn't seem to disturb the force at all.

All I know is I really enjoy the g+ sits. In a very unattached way of course.

Hello All,

I know I need to put together an updated video on how to setup and use G+ again, but for posterity and as a reminder for me I thought I'd share a couple things which have been helpful for me:

My Hangouts Add on for Chrome:
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...gffcfmgibaomeh

This will provide pop-ups in Chrome when someone starts to sit, like this:

And:

Also, for a quick link to start up a hangout, you can use the following URL:

http://plus.google.com/hangouts

If someone is already sitting, then you'll see them on the right side of the screen and can join them...otherwise you can just click "Hang out"

Gassho,

Dokan

Attached files

Thanks for that Dokan, much appreciated.
    Gassho
    Gary

Yugen

Greetings all,
    I have just joined G+, and per Dokan's request, I am posting here to that effect. Trying to figure this all out! I am on G+ as Yugen Mutsu.

See you there - I would like to join those sitting! Any tips in helping find you all are appreciated!

Gassho,
    Yugen

To all the people having troubling groking G+ you aren't the only ones. I work in IT and have grown up on the internet and it is still odd to me I will be sharing my sits at work, they are only 10-20 mins (I look at it like a smoke break but more helpful) and they are kind of sparatic.

Yugen wrote:
    I am on G+ as Yugen Mutsu.
    Added! Looking forward to sitting with you there Yugen

Gassho,
    Hoyu

Yugen

Hoyu,
    Awesome! I am just figuring G+ out; looking forward to sitting with you too.

Gassho,
    Yugen

Hi Yugen!

Added you to the Treeleaf Sangha Circles and re-shared with the crew. Please let me know if you have any questions or problems!

Gassho,

Dokan

Yugen

Dokan,
    Thank you so much! I am finding my way round G+. What a great way to connect with everyone!

Gassho,
    Yugen

The new look G+ is +1 ....and it teaches us about impermanence!..as all recent streams have disappeared!

Quote Originally Posted by Heisoku
    The new look G+ is +1 ....and it teaches us about impermanence!..as all recent streams have disappeared!

Good day, all!

Still in the process of figuring out G+, but I now have a TreeLeaf Sangha circle with a few fellow TreeLeafers in it.
    If you would like to accept my add, my name on there is Lisa Alexander.
    As I am quite shy, unsure of all the rituals involved and really not used to video chatting other than with my granddaughter,
    I may appear to be a bit standoffish and clumsy... I hope you'll be patient with me!

Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by ZenHarmony
    Good day, all!

Still in the process of figuring out G+, but I now have a TreeLeaf Sangha circle with a few fellow TreeLeafers in it.
    If you would like to accept my add, my name on there is Lisa Alexander.
    As I am quite shy, unsure of all the rituals involved and really not used to video chatting other than with my granddaughter,
    I may appear to be a bit standoffish and clumsy... I hope you'll be patient with me!

Lisa
    Hey Lisa,

I was really nervous too when I first hung out, just gotta jump in and start swimming, the water is warm.
    Don't worry about chatting, I don't really do chatting over the internet either, it's ok, there no need to chat.
    Looking forward to sitting with you.

Gassho
    Gary

Dont worry, Lisa,
    basically our zazen hangouts are: bowing when entering the chat, sitting for as long as we wish, bowing, maybe giving a wave and leaving, no discussions and nothing one possibly could do wrong. I had trouble to find you as there are many Lisa Alexander, I think Dokan will add you to the Treeleaf circle when he finds time (and btw, Dokan, we can share this job of adding if you want some assistant like me )

_()_
    Myoku

I had trouble to find you as there are many Lisa Alexander, I think Dokan will add you to the Treeleaf circle when he finds time (and btw, Dokan, we can share this job of adding if you want some assistant like me )
    I've added Lisa to the Treeleaf Sangha page and have reshared the circle so everyone can add her to their circles. (Sorry for delay, been on business travel.)

@Myoku, sounds good! I'll send you an email to discuss the details of what to do and how to do it. It's pretty simple to manage but the help is still appreciated!

Gassho,

Dokan

... I had trouble to find you as there are many Lisa Alexander...
    Haha! I'm sorry, I just recently went from having an unusual last name to having one that is common and didn't think... my preferred contact pic is:

which may make it easier to find me. : )

Lisa

Thank you Lisa
    _()_
    Myoku

Google+ Treeleaf Sangha Page

I'm not going to be in the zen-hall for a little while. Keep a spot warm for me.

Ron

Shugen

We will Ron ! Take care

Yugen

There is always a zafu for you.... see you soon.... safe travels..... we practice together in the same stream no matter our physical location.

Gassho,
    Yugen

Quote Originally Posted by rculver
    Keep a spot warm for me.
    A spot, and the kettle, will be kept nice and warm for your return Shugen!

Gassho,
    Hoyu

Warm, cold, shit happens, enjoy Sanshinji

I'm having problems with g+ hang out, I've been losing connection during hang outs, a post doesn't appear in my stream where I can comment "Zazen".
    These are only recent issues everything was fine until they changed the invite page, as far as I'm aware my PC and laptop both meet minimum requirements and both work well with Skype etc.
    It seems that g+ is draining all the CPU, I sent my PC off to get a new video card and wireless card hoping that that may help, but I think not.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I kinda miss sitting with you guys.

g+ hang out sucks, but it is OK! 8)

Gassho
    Gary

Odd. Haven't seen the issue of no entry in your stream when starting a sit...

I've been booted a couple of times but nothing recently. Those were typically related to a Google Chrome crash...but it has been a while. Have you tried other browsers? Which are you using?

Gassho

Dokan

Mp

Thanks Dokan ... I have added you to my Google+ circle.

Gassho,
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Gary
    I'm having problems with g+ hang out, I've been losing connection during hang outs, ...
    I lost connection only twice, but both in recent two weeks. Overall g+ became very flaky recently, I know of Richard Shokai having trouble too. We both sometimes cant start hangout or get kicked out quickly. Often I completely loose video, all that since about two weeks, I guess its a bit like bad weather, so we cant get to the zendo this day No tips from here, as I have not the slightest clue why on some days all is perfect and on others not.
    _()_
    Peter Myoku

Odd. Haven't seen the issue of no entry in your stream when starting a sit...

I've been booted a couple of times but nothing recently. Those were typically related to a Google Chrome crash...but it has been a while. Have you tried other browsers? Which are you using?

Gassho

Dokan
    Thank you Dokan, I'm using Chrome on both the PC and laptop, I'll give it a go today on Internet Explorer and I'll change the setting to slow connection and we see what happens. :-)

Thank you Myoku, bad weather is a good description, it's cool how if we change the way perceive something it can change the way we feel about it. All good practice. _/|_

Gassho
    Gary

Mp

Hello Dokan,

Thanks very much for this ... I am all setup and look forward to the next sitting.

Gassho,
    Michael

Hi Dokan

I am new to treeleaf and to Google +. Google+ seems really complicated to me? I am keen to sit with people on there but i will read your advice and wil hopefully figure it out _/l\_

Quote Originally Posted by Thane View Post
    Hi Dokan

I am new to treeleaf and to Google +. Google+ seems really complicated to me? I am keen to sit with people on there but i will read your advice and wil hopefully figure it out _/l\_
    Hi Thane,

Maybe this might help clarify some of the points. Myoku created it but if you have any questions please feel free to ask!

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bze...FpDazNXekxBcEU

Gassho,

Dokan
    We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
    ~Anaïs Nin

I see we have the ability to create groups on the current incarnation of Treeleaf -- what do y'all think of a Google+ group? It might make some of the info easier to find for folks who are interested. I dunno.

Gassho,
    Shujin

Hi,
    How has this worked out for you guys? Are you sitting with Plumline people?
    Gassho
    Myozan

Quote Originally Posted by Myozan Kodo View Post
    Hi,
    How has this worked out for you guys? Are you sitting with Plumline people?
    Gassho
    Myozan
    I haven't sat with them.

Ron
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Quote Originally Posted by Shujin View Post
    I see we have the ability to create groups on the current incarnation of Treeleaf -- what do y'all think of a Google+ group? It might make some of the info easier to find for folks who are interested. I dunno.

Gassho,
    Shujin
    I think that's a good idea. I would join it ;-)

Ron

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Quote Originally Posted by Shujin View Post

Gassho,
    Shujin
    This is a great idea! I'd join too
    Ho (Dharma)
    Yu (Hot Water)

I will make it so guys. Thanks for the suggestion.

Gassho,
    Chris

The Google+ User Group is now open.
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/group.php?groupid=5

Gassho,
    Chris

Thank you christhatischris .... but I am beginning to wonder, with so much work doing here, are you getting enough sleep?? Every time I log on I can see so much hard work and new things and tweaks....truly truly thank you
    Thank you for your practice

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast