Thread: My meditation room

My meditation room

As some of you have read in other threads, I have moved to a new home. While this is a larger-than-average house for France, it would be considered small by American standards. Since I work at home, I needed something with enough room for my office space, and wanted to be comfortable in my work. (In my previous house, my office was a bedroom, that really wasn't big enough.)

To get a house that size, I had to get one with three bedrooms, which means that I have a small bedroom, upstairs, that I have dedicated to use as a "sitting room." I have two tatamis - a bit threadbare - and a bookcase with my dharma books in the room. I will probably not add anything else, though there's space for, say, a few bookcases if needed. I may add a Buddha statue if I can find one that I like, and I'd like to find a bell to ring before I sit (though I don't even know where to look for that).

Not only does having a small room like this make it easier for me to sit, but I can also use it for relaxation - going into the semi-supine position (cf Alexander technique) on the tatamis. (What you can't see in the photo is that the wall to the left is white; two walls are white, and two are beige.)

So far, I still haven't emptied all my boxes, but I've been able to sit at least once a day, since that room is devoid of the mess in the rest of the house. Well, the mess in my head is still there, of course...

Re: My meditation room

I think it's neat! Your place looks like I can totally just sit and let time pass

I know what you mean about needing a little more room for your personal stuff. Right now I sit in my office, which is a basically empty room save for some boxes here and there.

I'd love to see more pictures!

Very nice; I'd enjoy some tatami mats (I think my dogs would, too :? ). I like the emptiness; nothing to capture the attention.

Mine's also spare bedroom. I have an inkin bell, but when sitting by myself, I use an MP3 player with a 30-minute recording I made.

Besides housing guests (our zendo has limited residential capacity for retreats), the room can also be set up with a massage table, and the closet doors are mirrored for Florije's belly dancing practice; my tea-things are displayed on my tea-shelf. While the room's dedicated to zazen, it does other things, too. Kind of like my life.

Piobair,

The screen is to look at when you sit?

The screen is to look at when you sit?
    Yes. There was a time during a previous marriage that I couldn't have a dedicated place to sit, so it had to be portable. While that's no longer the case, I've become quite used to it; although unnecessary now, it's comfortable. Tabula rasa.

These are some I made for our zendo:

Interesting. Where I lived before, I didn't have any easily accessible wall that was empty. Now I do, in my sitting room, but it's got stucco on it, which is "interesting" - ie, the eye is attracted to the bits that protrude and make shadows. Perhaps I should get something like that to sit in front of.

Quote Originally Posted by chocobuda
    I'd love to see more pictures!
    Here's the view from my office (my office space is sort of part of the living room):