Thread: Shakyo

Shakyo

Hi All,

Because my life isn't busy enough (lol) I decided to take up the practice of Shakyo, sutra copying. Or at the very least give it a try. I picked up some calligraphy tools and a book called "The Heart Sutra in Calligraphy".

What I've found interesting however is the Kanji that is used. I've never seen it used before except maybe as stamps. Does anyone know where it comes from? It looks something like:

Thanks in advance.

Gassho,

Dokan

Attached files

Re: Shakyo

And my first attempts... this says "The Great Prajnaparamita Heart Sutra". Of course I had better learn to do it smaller or else I'll kill a few forests with each copying. 8-)

Gassho

Dokan

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Cool project/practice Dokan!
    Reminds me of a shakyo copying app I downloaded for my phone named Zenbient. Not to crazy about the tunes or it being a game, but I actually found it really helped with learning stroke order of each kanji. It's free so I recommend at least checking it out.

Gassho,
    John

Hi Dokan,

That style of writing is "Tensho" ( ?? seal script), an archaic style of writing that derives from the Qin Dynastry about 2500 years ago. It is frequently used even now for some formal documents, such as memorial steels, diplomas and the like (somewhat like we might sometimes use Latin). The Wikipedia listing actually seems pretty good ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seal_script

Gassho, Jundo

It's a very pretty script. It reminds me of a language I made up when I was in high school...

I used to like writing down song lyrics in a decorative style. Writing the sutras with lovely, thick black ink sounds nice and enjoyable to me. Have fun, and I hope you show us some of the good stuff that comes out of it.

Gassho,

Amelia

Hello Dokan,

you might want to check out this book as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Sacred-Calligraph ... 075&sr=8-2

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

@John: Thanks for the tip...only on Apple but thankfully my wife has an iPad I can steal...already use it for ZenBrush app.

@Jundo: Thanks for the tip. I had actually stumbled upon Wikipedia when trying to figure it out as well. Constantly amazed at how much I don't know...humbling actually.

@Amelia: Thanks. At the moment it's just a cursory interest. I've tried calligraphy before and just do not seem to have the nack...but if at first you don't succeed!

@Hans: Amazing book! Will try to dig it up at the local used book stores first as it's quite pricey!

Thanks everyone.

Gassho,

Dokan

I've tried calligraphy before and just do not seem to have the nack..
    Shawn;
    don't be too humble, I see some masterful strokes in the sample above!

That is awesome Shawn! I've been thinking about doing this for a while, but it so daunting. I might pick up the book and give it a shot now that you've taken the leap.

Is that script also called "Seal Script" or is that something else? Calligraphy seems like such a vast art, but also so interesting.
    EDIT: NM; if only I'd read the posts before I post. hahahha

Gassho,

Rishso

Dokan,

I meant to ask you; what kind of brushes and ink did you buy? Did you buy any paper?

I have this Chinese calligraphy set from a few years ago with an ink stick, but I have no idea how to mix the ink. I wasn't sure if you used an ink stick and had any pointers.

Gassho,

Risho

So I have a few tools. I have the ink sticks and stone. Basically you just put a drop of water on the ibk stone and grind the ink stick to make the ink. Quality seems to vary quite a bit on the sticks. But for what I do I could use anything. Lately I have been lazy and using ink in a bottle. I think it was like $8 and probably will last me ages. The brushes vary like crazy. But again for what I am doing anything seems to work. The ones I bought cost about $10 each. I have some cheaper ones but found the hairs fray and fall out easily.. just annoying.

@Hans I looked for that book today and couldn't find it at the used store. Will try one more place. Did find another one from the same author but didn't pick it up.

I did find this gem that I've not seen before..

So not a total loss. . :lol:

Gassho

Dokan

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

ndangelo

This is a wonder practice to start. I wouldn't get frustrated. Let the clearness you experience in Zazen take over during this activity. You have inspired me to take up another form of Zazen myself.

In Metta and Palms Together.

--Nick

Great practice Dokan! :wink:

Don't hesitate to show us the result... it may inspire more people!

In Chinese Buddhism, copying sutra is an important practice and a lot of people use to give their copies to relatives, or even to everyone in the streets... it is like sharing a blessing.

Thank you for sharing!!
    gassho,
    Jinyu

Hello Shawn,

you can actually look at most of the book via the google books preview.

http://books.google.de/books?id=Ql09AAA ... st&f=false

I do assume that the publisher is alright with it, because otherwise it wouldn't be published there. Google doesn't just randomly scan contemporary copyrighted stuff without the publisher's permission (that was my understanding).

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

This practice is great, it requires undivided attention and flowing dynamic brushwork.

By the way, you will be able to get old of calligraphy sets in Japan to copy the hannya shingyo, thery are sold in many places and bookshops.

Gassho

Taigu

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu
    This practice is great, it requires undivided attntion and flowing dynamic brushwork.

By the way, you will be able to get old of calligraphy sets in Japan to copy the hannya shingyo, therybare sold in manyplaces and bookshops.

Gassho

Taigu
    You calligraphy is lovely (I have seen it), but your typing is terrible! :wink:

Gassho, J

Indeed. Ipad typing is really tricky but anyway, no excuse.

I will make this ipad typing my daily practice.

Gassho

Taigu