Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ANNOUNCEMENT: Our Next Book Club Book! - Book of Equanimity

ANNOUNCEMENT: Our Next Book Club Book! - Book of Equanimity

JUST REPOSTING HERE THIS ANNOUNCEMENT FROM ANOTHER THREAD ...

Hi All,

I would like to announce our next book selection for the Treeleaf "Beyond Words & Letters" Book Club (to follow our current reading, the wonderful 'Zen Seeds') ...

The Book of Equanimity, Illuminating Classic Zen Koans, commentary by Gerry Shishin Wick.

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Equanimit.../dp/0861713877

http://www.wisdompubs.org/pages/disp...ction=&image=1

The Book of Equanimity (從容録, in Japanese the Shōyōroku, sometimes called the Book of Serenity in English), is a collection of Koans gathered by the great exponent of Silent Illumination Chan Hongzhi Zhengjue (Wanshi Sh?gaku, 1091–1157), and is much prized in the Soto flavor of Zen. Shishin Wick is the current head of the White Plum Lineage, which usually mixes Kan'na (Koan Instrospection) Zen and Shikantaza ways, but in this case, he approaches each Koan with a gentle-not so gentle 'piercing in and out through the sacred core' Soto style. Shishin brings each Koan into living Practice and practical life, very much grounded in this day-to-day world, worlded in the Timeless Ground. Lovely.

There are other translations available, by Thomas Cleary and others. However, even if you have one of those already, I ask you to find the edition by Rev. Wick, as the life-filled commentaries by him will be at the heart of our reflections.

The Book of Equanimity is as central to koan practice in the Soto Zen tradition as the better-known 'Blue Cliff Record' is in the Rinzai tradition. ... At the beginning of the twenty-first century, Shishin Wick gave a series of talks on each of the hundred cases to Zen students in Colorado, and now with this new publication he offers his commentary and translation to a wider audience. Shishin Wick was trained as a physicist and oceanographer, and his scientific background comes through in his rigorous examination of each case. His poetic sensibility is also evident in the book, such as in his commentary on 'Joshu's Dog,' which describes the noble futility of the bodhisattva vow, by using the image of someone attempting to fill up a well with snow. He draws upon examples ranging from the scholarly (comparisons with other koan collections) to the everyday (a friend's paralyzed dachshund) to show the importance of The Book of Equanimity in the Zen tradition and its relevance to the lives of his students and readers.
    Public opinion often holds that Koans are not much cherished and Practiced in the Soto Way. That is not the case (little pun there). The way of handling and opening the Koans is a bit different in the Soto Way and the Ka'na Zazen of the Rinzai way (same, but different ... different, but just the same), something we will have a chance to experience in moving through-and-through these cherished "classic" Koans.

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-17-2014 at 03:20 AM.

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Our Next Book Club Book! - Book of Equanimity

This is exciting! I've wanted to read this for some time

Indeed. I had it on my own list of books to read too.

Just got it the Kindle version from Amazon. Whenever we start, I'm ready!

Gassho

Rimon

I just got my copy today. I'm looking forward to reading this. I'm also interested in learning more about how much Soto Zen uses koans, and why Treeleaf doesn't (or at least I haven't seen any). :-)

Quote Originally Posted by kirkmc
    I just got my copy today. I'm looking forward to reading this. I'm also interested in learning more about how much Soto Zen uses koans, and why Treeleaf doesn't (or at least I haven't seen any). :-)
    Hi Kirk,

We dance with the "classic" Koans all the time (recently, "Nansen Kills the Cat" caused a bit of a ruckus) ...

viewtopic.php?p=65778#p65778

And besides these "classic" Koans, almost every discussion has reference to some modern Koan created on the spot ... same lessons, new packaging!

And, of course, in Soto Zen, we also play the "Genjo Koan" ... the Koan of 10,000,000 Koans constantly opening and teaching all around and through us each moment.

Gassho, Jundo

Thank you Jundo;
    I've been intending to do more study of koans. This provides a structure that I would not otherwise have.

I hope to join y'all for the next book; it sounds great. I haven't been best about keeping up with Zen Seeds, but I can try to do better with the next one. :?

gassho,
    Shujin

What a wonderful news, the guy s insights are priceless. The very best koan collection i red so far.

Gassho

Taigu.

Can't wait sounds like it is going to be a fun read...

Got it...

It just arrived.

The world is a koan. Will be reading and sharing

Yes, I will join in too. I got behind on the Zen Seeds once I started studying Jukai. I should be able keep up better with this one.

Gassho,
    Jodi

Quote Originally Posted by jodi_h
    Yes, I will join in too. I got behind on the Zen Seeds once I started studying Jukai. I should be able keep up better with this one.

Gassho,
    Jodi
    Me too! Now that Jukai studies are finished(though in reality they never truly end!) I've gone back to play catch up with Zen Seeds. Also looking forward to our next book. Given my relationship with koans(they confuse the bejesus out of me ops: ) I may be more of a fly on the wall with this one!

Gassho,
    John

Just got the book. Maybe this is jumping the gun here but what the hey.. In the past I was averse to practicing with koan (Hwadu) and always just hoped the teacher wouldn't assign one to me. As it turned out I was just told to just shut up and sit straight, which suited me fine. The problem was/is that koans are to this mind here in the 21st century "west", ancient cultural artifacts. The case that spoke to a Chinese person centuries ago was spoken in his/her language using turns of phrase and cultural idioms that were clear and up front. For someone here and now these stories have to be unpacked first, ( what does "turning a carp's tail" mean ???) then re-presented with an exotic poetic quality that was not exotic or ( I'm guessing) particularly poetic to the folks who heard them back in the day.

So I am hoping that this book club can address this sense of being culturally removed and as a consequence having an extra veil to penetrate that was not intended by the original speakers of these stories. Thanks.

have just ordered this book - very excited as this will be my first taste
    of Koan literature.
    Regarding todays video - the subject of authorial intentionality/reader
    interpretation is always rife with contention - particularly in academic circles.
    The comment about Freud made me smile. I trained psychoanalytically (and
    humanistically) to be a psychotherapist and then did Phd research - some years
    later - and wherever one goes there is always conflict of opinions.
    Well - I know nothing about Koan literature so I will be approaching this with an
    open heart and mind - which will be most refreshing.

Ready. Gassho Shogen

Going to download mine on the Kindle...pretty cool. Thought I might get behind if had to order online and wait for a book. Nice talk on Koans in your sit-along....captured my interest!

Gassho,
    Jisen/BrianW

Just downloaded onto my i pad. I have downloaded books in i books before but never on Kindle so this will be a new experience in many ways.

Gassho

Ray

I got the Kindle version too, and plan to read it on my smartphone. Normally not the best platform for books, but since it's in small chapters and the phone is portable, will be interesting way to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matto
    I got the Kindle version too, and plan to read it on my smartphone. Normally not the best platform for books, but since it's in small chapters and the phone is portable, will be interesting way to read it.
    Hmmm that's a great idea! Perhaps I 'll put a version on my smart phone as well....that way if I have a bit of time waiting it would be great opportunity to read/re-read and ponder a bit.

Gassho,
    Jisen/BrianW

I've ordered the book and look forward to studying with you all.

-Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Matto

If it's from Amazon, you can get the PC reader as well if you'd like a bigger screen. They have the Kindle reader for almost any platform I'm pretty sure (iPad, Tablets, etc)

Gassho,
    Dokan

The book came fast enough in the mail two days ago. I've read the first chapter. The short chapters will probably feel as a small drop of nectar to sweet up the week.

Changing subjects, I see that I lot of people here is getting the electronic version of the book. for some reason, I just don't like books in electronic version. I need to feel a book in my hands. I need to feel its smell. I need to see the book on the shelf when I walk by. I need to be able to write notes on its margins. On the other side, I may just be a old tired dog who forgot how to have fun.

:lol:

Gassho.

Lima (Sunyatta).

Re: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Our Next Book Club Book! - Book of Equanim

Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Fire
    Changing subjects, I see that I lot of people here is getting the electronic version of the book. for some reason, I just don't like books in electronic version. I need to feel a book in my hands. I need to feel its smell. I need to see the book on the shelf when I walk by. I need to be able to write notes on its margins. On the other side, I may just be a old tired dog who forgot how to have fun.
    Oh no. Don't get me wrong. I am a total bibliophile. I have hundreds of books and am a regular at a couple of the local used stores. The three things I like about the kindle books are:

1. Entire collection in one form factor...and available from anywhere I have a device.

2. Highlighting and notes...also the opportunity to see what others have liked/highlighted. Arguably I could highlight and note a physical book...but that just feels barbaric to me somehow.

3. Cost. Books are about 25% cheaper. Since I have a minor addiction to books this helps the pocketbook.

There are many downsides as well. Availability of older books. "Feeling" the progress of the book as you turn pages. Cool bookmarks. Sharing with others...just to name a few.

What I am really waiting for is their integration into libraries so I can check out books right from the device...

Ironically, after my shakuhachi practice here this morning I am heading to a used bookstore to find a book Hans recommended...:lol:

Gassho

Dokan

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Speaking of Kindles and such . . . I'm behind on how these things work. What would happen if your Kindle was lost or damaged beyond repair? Would you lose all your books, or be able to load them again into a new device?

And what I really keep wondering, what good will Kindles be in ten years when they're dinosaur technology and (probably) won't be serviced anymore?

I'm kinda-sorta thinking about getting one, but I like my toys to last.

Gassho,

Concerned Consumer

Once you by an e book for a kindle you can share it with your pc, laptop, i pad i phone smart phone and ofcoarse your kindle. So once your Kindle does eventually break you will have plenty of copies of the same book. I just have the kindle app on my i pad. I just love the idea of taking one thing with me and all my reading is with me. I load up zen podcasts, books, sit a longs shortcuts to this websites and many more things on my i pad, so very handy. As well as sky sports and weather apps as well as games a calculator, i can go on and on!

Gassho

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer G P
    Speaking of Kindles and such . . . I'm behind on how these things work. What would happen if your Kindle was lost or damaged beyond repair? Would you lose all your books, or be able to load them again into a new device?

And what I really keep wondering, what good will Kindles be in ten years when they're dinosaur technology and (probably) won't be serviced anymore?

I'm kinda-sorta thinking about getting one, but I like my toys to last.

Gassho,

Concerned Consumer

Thanks, Ray.

I was looking at some Kindles at a store last month and it seemed the display model was already broken :roll:, which got me thinking. But I think I will be getting one sooner rather than later.

Jen

My book just came yesterday! I really, really like the feel of it. I mean the tactile feel, I haven't read anything but the intro.. gotta save it for hte club although I'm tempted to dive in :mrgreen: There are some books you get, and they are cumbersome, the pages don't flip right. This is so flexible and soft... yes I'm a book dork. lol

Gassho,

Risho

Yep, I am about to get an Android phone myself. I guess I will be loading it with e-books. In no time, I'll be carrying a full library in my pocket.

It is just as it is, the Spirit of the Time. You try to learn how to surf the wave, before the wave drown you.

Gassho.

Sunyatta.

When will we start? I've just ordered the book from Barnes and Noble.
    Still reading Zen Seeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian
    When will we start? I've just ordered the book from Barnes and Noble.
    Still reading Zen Seeds.
    We start at the beginningless=endless start.

Not sure when that is. In a few weeks. Gassho, J

I can,t wait to get started. I have never been in a book club before. I want to be a nerd in my next life!
    Gassho

Ray

Myoshin

I've ordered the book, it's my first book club, enjoying to see what it seems to be

Carol and Sid would like to participate together in the next book discussion. We bought the ebook, and are ready and waiting in beginners mind. :-)

Ordered. Looking forward to reading...

I'm beginning to think that this book discussion is an arlésienne... :-)

A painting by Van Gogh? A suite by Bizet? Or just a person from Arles?

Taigu, can you translate? 8)

Gassho, J

Oh come on! I saw Jundo post and I thought we were starting. ahhahahahahahaah You are building my anticipation

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    A painting by Van Gogh? A suite by Bizet? Or just a person from Arles?

Taigu, can you translate? 8)

Gassho, J
    Actually, I said that for Taigu's benefit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27Arlésienne_(novel_and_play)

"Because the title character is never shown in the play, Arlésienne is now used, in French, to describe a person who is prominently (and sometimes voluntarily) absent from a place or a situation where they would be expected to show up."

I'm glad it has not started yet, been looking to start posting more in treeleaf and this could be a good opportunity!

I look forward to reading with you all

*fires up kindle* (pun unintended)

:lol: :lol: ..... but when are we starting?

Probably at the same time as when we embark :roll: :lol: :lol:

BrianL

Like graeme, I'm looking for a way to begin interacting with the group. I've ordered my copy and am standing by...

Is their a start date for this book?

Gassho

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Ray
    Is their a start date for this book?

Gassho

Ray
    Are you asking 'What's Next' and when does it start? :shock:

Here is the start date ...

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4745

Gassho, J

hahahahahhahahahahahah that's mean

Hey hey!
    thanks to Yang Hsin I finally got the book!
    So, lets book-clubbing baby! :mrgreen:

Have a very nice day everyone!
    Jinyu

Was not asking "what,s next" i was going to be away for 2 weeks with no internet access so was. Checking what was to be read while away.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray
    Was not asking "what,s next" i was going to be away for 2 weeks with no internet access so was. Checking what was to be read while away.
    THERE! It is read! (A Koan) 8)

Gassho, J

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast