Thread: December.16 - Zen Seeds - Pgs. 104 and 108

December.16 - Zen Seeds - Pgs. 104 and 108

Hi, everybody.

I tried to keep my comments as short as possible. Hopefully, they aren't too lean.

“Looking hard at life.” - pg.104

Shundo says that we are the apex of a pyramid in relation to our ancestors, that what we are is the sum of all our ancestors did. And, also, that we are the starting point of our descendants.

From a wider point of view, how can we as Zen practitioners live here and now in a way that honor our Buddhist heritage? And how can we prepare here and now the ground for the future generations of Zen Buddhists?

“The Tale of a Female Demon”, pg. 108

Shundo’s words in this reflection reminded me a passage of the Metta Sutra.

“As a mother would risk her life to protect her child, her only child, even so should one cultivate a limitless heart with regard to all beings. With good will for the entire cosmos, cultivate a limitless heart.”

How, as Zen Buddhists, can we cultivate a limitless heart? What is the role of love in your Zen practice?

Gassho.

Alexander Lima (Sunyata)

Re: December.16 - Zen Seeds - Pgs. 104 and 108

Thank you Alexander,
    I like the way you presented these chapters. Your questions are very good ones, to me,
    I think I can only answer them in my daily practice. So I carry them with me, as a
    reminder, thank you and everyone reading along.
    _()_
    Peter

Not too lean...just right...

Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Fire
    Shundo says that we are the apex of a pyramid in relation to our ancestors, that what we are is the sum of all our ancestors did. And, also, that we are the starting point of our descendants.
    As I read this I thought not only of our descendants in Buddhism, but for all those who come after us....not only humans, but animals, our planet. What we do right now is the baseline of the future. What are we handing to future generations? When our daily actions can be viewed in this way we make different choices.

Gassho,
    Jisen/BrianW

Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Fire
    Hi, everybody.

“Looking hard at life.” - pg.104

From a wider point of view, how can we as Zen practitioners live here and now in a way that honor our Buddhist heritage? And how can we prepare here and now the ground for the future generations of Zen Buddhists?

Gassho.

Alexander Lima (Sunyata)

Commiting to good actions and avoiding bad ones, on a daily basis, gives honor to all ancestors while laying a foundation of guidiance for future generations.

Gassho Shogen