Thread: Please explain Google+ hangouts

Please explain Google+ hangouts

I don't go onto Google+ much, but I did just now, and saw that a couple of Treeleafers were hanging out together. While I wanted to join, I was afraid that I'd be butting in. What exactly does this do? Do you simply sit at the same time with webcams on, or are these discussions? If it's the former, what's the point; I mean, is it just to feel that you are sitting with someone? Because I assume you don't watch the screen, any more than you watch someone sitting next to you when you sit in a group...

Re: Please explain Google+ hangouts

Kirk, Think of it as a group skype conference call. Generally it is to signal a local sit, I generally mute the mike then bow to the room as I enter the hangout. If you see one do jump in and try it out. There is no point to it and nothing to gain.
    _()_ Louis

Quote Originally Posted by louis
    Kirk, Think of it as a group skype conference call. Generally it is to signal a local sit, I generally mute the mike then bow to the room as I enter the hangout. If you see one do jump in and try it out. There is no point to it and nothing to gain.
    _()_ Louis
    So it's sitting and not discussion. Okay, I'll try it out next time I see there's one going on. I'll mute my mic first to be safe. :-)

Nindo

Hi Kirk,
    I'm quite new to this too. There should be a note with the hangout, e.g. Zazen, so you know what is happening. Depending on where people's computers are placed, you may see others' faces, or backsides, or just part of them
    During the first day of the retreat it was just nice to have some company and feel that we are doing this together. Especially at 5am!
    See you online sometime.

_/_

Ok, maybe someone can help me out too? I recently added Treeleaf to my circles. Do I need to add individual Treeleafers to my circles as well in order to see them hanging out?

Quote Originally Posted by kirkmc
    is it just to feel that you are sitting with someone? ...
    Yes, sitting and bowing. Just to have a closer connection to those sitting through all space and times.

Quote Originally Posted by JesterShay
    Ok, maybe someone can help me out too? I recently added Treeleaf to my circles. Do I need to add individual Treeleafers to my circles as well in order to see them hanging out?
    Hi JesterShay,

I just posted up the Treeleaf circle to make it simpler for you. Just click on it and then add those people to a circle.

As an aside, if anyone knows of others not in the list of 53 persons there, please let me know. Treeleaf gets a lot of requests/add but I ignore all that I can't verify are Treeleafers. Easiest way for me to know is to post something about being a Treeleaf member in your 'about' section.

Gassho,

s

Quote Originally Posted by kirkmc
    I don't go onto Google+ much, but I did just now, and saw that a couple of Treeleafers were hanging out together. While I wanted to join, I was afraid that I'd be butting in. What exactly does this do? Do you simply sit at the same time with webcams on, or are these discussions? If it's the former, what's the point; I mean, is it just to feel that you are sitting with someone? Because I assume you don't watch the screen, any more than you watch someone sitting next to you when you sit in a group...
    I am one of those who sit fairly regularly on Google+ and know I go through some of the same questioning at times. Why do I sit there? Not that this is meant to suffice, but my take on it is:
    While it is true many ancestors and teachers point out Zazen is (really) good for nothing, still (as a part of our practice) we share it with others; in this case on Google+. Some find this efficacious (as in producing a desired effect or result). Some don't. Certainly there is no "good" or "bad"; "right" or "wrong"; "better" or "worse" about it.
    Still, in my "meshuge" (a word for "crazy" borrowed from Jundo) mind, the sharing remains...and "butting in" (joining) is encouraged anytime in my hangouts.
    Gassho,