Thread: Parental mind Magnanimous mind -25-Nov Zen Seeds Pg 87-90

Parental mind Magnanimous mind -25-Nov Zen Seeds Pg 87-90

Parentental Mind

Referencing Master Dogen's Instructions for the Cook this bit we are invited to see both sides of the same coin. To pay the same respect, attention and care to all things as we would our own children, our life blood or our own eyes. Admittedly there are times in my life I wish I could muster that thought BEFORE I reacted to some situations - weather they were seemingly negative or positive. This always strikes me, simple yet very important.

Request: (more than a question) Thinking back an keeping the very important passage in your thoughts, when have thought you had done right by some one or situation, and come to find out otherwise?
    You may share that if you would like.

Question: thinking of that situation above, we often would not jump on it and say it, and immediately call ourselves carelessness, indifference of the other person we often say ah it was a simple mistake... most would agree a mistake, if so ....next time you are on the seeming receiving end of another beings mistake... could you let it go, and step back and see your part in it?

Magnanimous Mind

Had to look up that word. Magnanimous.

Question: Did you have to look this one up too? (do not feel you need to answer though, just think about it )

Now with this I thought right along with Shundo as she said...would she moan or would she gladly take on the tasks. The minute I stop moaning about any task...which... yes, I do moan over some, the easier it is to just do... wiping smelly backsides, scrubbing the toilets, emptying the cat box (litter boxes) or piling in the winters wood.

What things in your life to you run into/stumble over when its time to perform them/interact with them? How do you deal with them?
    Could this approach of no high or low work for these things you struggle with?

Moving right along here thinking of the bit of the Tenzo Kyokun about using what is at hand with out looking for commiserating over what is present nor celebrating it, I made a lunch for my self during the practice partner exercise one year out of not quite spoiled/not fresh vegetables and ingredients that blew my socks off.. not because it was Chef Ramsey caliber...but because when I let go of Good and Bad it was tasty, healthy and well it highlighted my like/dislikes were still very strong... and just how wasteful it was.

What other situations could you arouse this thinking in your life? If you do so already please share how you do and with what situations.

Well share anything you wish that struck you in these two bit of reading...there is much more to discuss than what is above.

My wife just read that foot rub thing and is demanding I do the same :twisted:

Gassho
    Shohei

Re: Parental mind Magnanimous mind -25-Nov Zen Seeds Pg 87-90

I will reply only to the first chapter for now, and come back later for the second. Thats a teaching, isnt it. And to Shohei's question: I dont know, but I hope I more and more learn to see my part. This impressed me a lot,
    Gassho & Thanks
    Peter

Edit: so here I'm back for part 2; I dont know what magnanimous means; and I didnt look it up :shock: Actually, when reading english books, which I do a lot since I'm here at treeleaf, I often miss a word or two. But from the context i get the message of the author. So in this case. It must be some "non discriminating mind" or some "all embracing mind". When I feel the message in my bones, I not care much about a name of it And yes, this is an ongoing issue, refusing certain tasks and prefering others. Every day, but I've tasted how nice a unwanted task can be once I gave up resistance. Just that I'm not good in giving up resistance :-D I particularly like the phrase "In the world of the truth, ...nothing is useless" it still sounds in my mind.
    _()_
    Peter

Hi all,

Parental Mind

The theme of this chapter seemed to me to be the idea that we should, to a degree, treat everyone as we would our own children. Now, that said, I'm sure the people in my life wouldn't want to be reminded daily to clean their rooms, wash their hands, and be disciplined for not listening to what I had to say, but I'm guessing they would like my interactions with them to come from a place of caring and understanding. And that is something we simply do not do as much with strangers or even our friends as we do with our kids. This message seemed clear, but I was confused when reading that a guest should indeed eat a bug in their food even though Dogen had directed cooks in the Tenzo Kyokun to remove them when preparing the food. I'm not exactly sure how eating a bug in one's food that should have been removed is rude. I was also a bit puzzled as to why the old man felt it was necessary to lie to the entire community to save the embarassment of the teacher and wonder if it would not have been better to merely tell what had happened and let the townsfolks make up their own minds as to what should be done in the future. Perhaps I am taking both sections too literally, but I was left confused there!

Quote Originally Posted by Shohei
    Request: (more than a question) Thinking back an keeping the very important passage in your thoughts, when have thought you had done right by some one or situation, and come to find out otherwise?
    You may share that if you would like.

Question: thinking of that situation above, we often would not jump on it and say it, and immediately call ourselves carelessness, indifference of the other person we often say ah it was a simple mistake... most would agree a mistake, if so ....next time you are on the seeming receiving end of another beings mistake... could you let it go, and step back and see your part in it?
    I can't recall a situation where such a thing occured, but I'd be willing to bet that such has happened and perhaps I'll think of it later on. All I can say is that when I act I try to do so with the best of intentions but also with the knowledge that the best of intentions can go astray. I like to think of myself as someone who is able to put myself in the shoes of another and would tend to avoid such a situation, but again I'm sure I've done it. I tend to blame myself for things before others, which can be just as bad!

Magnanimous Mind

This chapter reminded me of my time spent working at a professional live theatre in my hometown. When I began I volunteered to assemble light switches, paint set pieces, and other behind the scenes work. While eventually I did get paid for some of it, much of it was long hours working late into the night and although the various productions I worked on could not have taken place without the efforts of the backstage crew, one received little to no recognition for it from the audience who came to the shows every night. As time went on I found myself on stage, more often at small shows we did for schoolchildren than on the stage at our theatre facility, but by the end of my time there I had gotten to see both sides of the stage and certainly got more recognition from the public for my exploits on the stage than those days spent behind it. One day, when a group of us who had done both were discussing which side we would choose if we could only choose one, everyone else there said, "On stage". Me? I went for behind the stage and, reading this chapter, I now realize that it is because I took the same approach to working both sides of the stage and public recognition or praise didn't make me work any harder in either case. In fact, I think I got more satisfaction being on the crew than in the cast! So, for me, being magnanimous was giving the same effort and respect to all teh work that goes into a production. Without cleaning the shitsticks, there'd just be shit!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hi Dosho. Parental mind in this story is really an example of the lengths the Japanese will go not to embarrass anyone, even accidentally. It is a very cultural trait since in the good ol'days it could cost you your head! I lived in Japan for many years and I think I caused more embarrassment than I know! being an ignorant foreigner an' all!! However my ignorance was educated out of its western preoccupation with being independent and free thinking, as I realised that the care and compassion of the Japanese people towards each other was sincerely meant and truly genuine (on most occasions). It does make it hard to say 'no,' but you do learn to empathise and take care over how your reactions and demands may impact on others.
    I worked in many elementary schools and on leaving children were giving me presents (sweets, cups and small bought things). The one present I will always treasure was a small seashell painted with three red and yellow flowers in front of three blue peaks by a little girl whom no one spoke to much. If it's one thing I try and do it is to speak and include everyone in my classes. Anyway she came up after the others had left and presented the shell in a matchbox nesting in tissue. She said 'I am Buddha, thank you for kindness to me'. How long she must have practised this I don't know (she was eight) and then have the courage to say actually it! (a challenge for a shy Japanese girl).
    Well I have never felt so humbled. I will never forget, as I still have the shell on my altar. Even children have parental mind!