Thread: Rumi

Rumi

“Be like the sun for grace and mercy. Be like the night to cover others' faults. Be like running water for generosity. Be like death for rage and anger. Be like the Earth for modesty. Appear as you are. Be as you appear.”
    ? Rumi

Interesting fellow...

Re: Rumi

to say the least...
    How do you understand his words???
    How do you manifest who you are???

gassho

Taigu

PS: The core question of all religions and philosophies is "why" , these systems are very busy with narratives, beginnings and ends, all sorts of journeys. Not in our tradition. What is it, then?

it hits.
    it happens.

Cheers,
    Greg

Hello,

thank you for mentioning this great sage. I love Rumi very much. Though a different path from ours, I have no doubt in my heart that we are walking across the same territory. He clearly tasted and expressed that which is beyond culture, though we are all bound to "clad" our experiences and impression in our own cultural lingo.

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

I appreciate anyone who seems to speak from the heart and not rhetoric.

Thanks guys, you motivate me to not be false. Following precepts, regardless if you "took" them or not can be difficult at times.

Cheers,
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu
    to say the least...
    How do you understand his words???
    How do you manifest who you are???

gassho

Taigu

PS: The core question of all religions and philosophies is "why" , these systems are very busy with narratives, beginnings and ends, all sorts of journeys. Not in our tradition. What is it, then?
    I actually wanted to come back to this, it's a good question, how does one really know they understand something they read? It does "hit". It's something that is both recognition that you're not reading superfluous bs but really can't put into words as to what it exactly means. For example, I play video games, I don't bother remembering which buttons I push for any particular game and if someone asks me something simple like, "how do I use weapon X?" I'd have to take the controller myself to remember and tell even if I have some beastly level of experience with the game. Einstien said that you never truely understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother, I disagree. Some things don't change in the quality of insight, or in relation to Rumi's words, the quality of recognition of something profound that isn't just intellectual cannon fodder regardless of how well they can or cannot be verbalized. Putting things into words often only happens out of need to teach something or at least provide the groundwork to bring insight into a topic for the individual you're talking to. So yeah, I can't articulate exactly what he means (not yet atleast :3) but there is a pause, a stopping, recognition that you have read something worth sharing in hopes of some discussion and clues on how to better verbalize it.

As for question number 2, can you rephrase that? How do I show myself? How do I exist? The question is a bit confusing.

Cheers,
    Greg

Thank you Greg,

i quite like what you say about understanding.But Prajna is a principle that both uses two sides of the blade though, intuition and rationalisation.
    As to the second question, hard to rephrase really. It is altogether how to show yourself, how to live accordingly to your real self... So again, how do you show who you are?

gassho

Taigu

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu
    Thank you Greg,

i quite like what you say about understanding.But Prajna is a principle that both uses two sides of the blade though, intuition and rationalisation.
    As to the second question, hard to rephrase really. It is altogether how to show yourself, how to live accordingly to your real self... So again, how do you show who you are?

gassho

Taigu
    Well, I show I care by listening to peoples issues and giving advice if I can, not being mean simply because I don't like trash talk/actions against myself, do I slip and make a tactless move every now and then? Yep. Years ago, I'd make it a sport of being offensive, never sat right at the end after the rush of a "win" passed. These days if I see someone trying to start stuff I call them out on the spot, "why are you saying stuff like that"? It does disarm the situation. I'd still feel hurt, that passes. Guilt of engaging in some hostile debate when I could have full well not have done it but chose to anyway takes longer..

If I'm have a me day, and I can't really listen to anyone's issues atm, I make it perfectly clear that I simply can't devote my time to them. I think that shows I care and won't give them some halfish attention when I know if I was looking for advice, I wouldn't want to be talking to someone about a problem that isn't all there.

Is this a "real self" way of going about business? I think so, I rarely have some pinging doubt/guilt about something I said these days.

Here's what Rumis words here mean to me. A person who has suffered and inflicted pain can really appreciate and forgive someone who is being cruel and has done harmful things. I did mean things, why? I wanted to feel better. I had compassion for myself in every hostile act, every unkind deed to simply protect myself atleast. The insulter, the cruel, rash, cold, closed, uncaring person has intense love in them, they are the way they are because they care. " Be like the night to cover others' faults." Be like the night because you know why people would act "fake".