Hello everyone! I've been a little shy about asking any questions... But I'm going to be brave, here it goes.
If there is already a topic on this, or one similar, I apologize in advance. The computers on the ship are quite slow, but I scanned to see if there was anything about my question on Mantras.

I have been most familiar with "Nam-myoho-renge-kyo" from when I went to Nichiren services ( upon first discovering Buddhism ). The lay leader, however, wasn't really able to explain Mantras well. And later the Prajna Paramita in the Heart Sutra. I understand Mantras are something you recite and they help you focus. But... (keyword here) is there MORE to it then that? I figured that if there are different Mantras, then it must suggest that you are "doing" something different with each Mantra. Is it "wrong" to still chant Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo if I am practicing Zen? This is probably an overload of fundamental questions, but after reading extensively I haven't found anything that addresses this question directly. I would like to see what others have to say about Mantras and what they think their purpose is...

I hope that made sense. Anyways! Any thoughts?

-Obadiah