Page 63 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1353616263
Results 3,101 to 3,141 of 3141

Thread: ARTS: Random Photo Thread

We "plan" to spend our twilight years with son Bjorn as his guests in the town place. We are moving him in from his apartment nearby, where he has lived for the last 10 years. In 2019 I built him and his sister a gym onto the back of the house, where he does his powerlifting.

286207676_1349160795636632_7940568158487680586_n.jpg

gassho
    dssat,somelah
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Quote Originally Posted by Shōnin Risa Bear View Post
    We "plan" to spend our twilight years with son Bjorn as his guests in the town place. We are moving him in from his apartment nearby, where he has lived for the last 10 years. In 2019 I built him and his sister a gym onto the back of the house, where he does his powerlifting.

286207676_1349160795636632_7940568158487680586_n.jpg

gassho
    dssat,somelah
    Wow!

Are you also a power lifter, Shonin?

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Are you also a power lifter, Shonin?
    I am a power lounger.

gassho
    d. shonin lounged/lah today
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Quote Originally Posted by Shōnin Risa Bear View Post
    I am a power lounger.

gassho
    d. shonin lounged/lah today
    Power lifting clouds of ignorance and delusion perhaps???

Gassho, Tokan (satlah)

28763BBD-41E8-4A9E-9325-77C441CCFA9E.jpeg

One of the photos from our backpacking trip. I like that the bridge is a fallen tree in the woods. Something particularly nice about this.

Gassho,

Finn

Sat today

Spring has come to the Southern Hemisphere:

IMG_7756.jpg

Gassho,
    Mateus
    Satlah
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

More spring beauty, this time with spring destruction as well:

IMG_7759.jpg

Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat
    (also known as Mateus )

My son and I at The Western Wall, Jerusalem.

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH

Street market before Shabbat in Jerusalem.

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Jishin View Post

Street market before Shabbat in Jerusalem.

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH
    Well, Shalom! Look at all that delicious food there!!!!!
    Looking handsome, Jishin!

Sat Today lah
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Shalom shalom!

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH

Shabbat Shalom, Jishin.

Gassho2, meian

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Shabbat Shalom Meian!

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH

Shalom shalom!

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH
    You look more like the "Messiah" than me! Or, at least a prophet or something.

Lovely photos.

Gassho, J

stlah

I thought I'd share some photos from some Buddhist temples and areas near me or that I've visited this year.

First ones are near where I live.

These ones are from a place called Sanxi, which is a village more known for it's traditional dragon boat festival. But just behind in the hills there's a really cool area with lots of arhats carved in the rocks. When you follow them up the hill, it takes you to a big Buddha statue at the top and there's some other statues and a small temple there. In a hill next to this, there's also a little temple that is overseen by a white Buddha statue.

Below is from a bigger temple near me called Longquan Chan Temple, which is know for it's links with the Chan Master Baizhang Huaihai (from the Hongzhou School). His statue is in one of the photos. Apparently this was his first temple he went to as he born in the local area. I mentioned this temple in a thread about my practice (or lack of) in China.

The photos below are from when I visited Huangmei (a town that calls itself the home of Zen), where the fourth and fifth patriarch temples are located. I decided to visit after reading 'Zen Baggage' as I realised that this place is part of the same 'city' (maybe you'd call it a prefecture) as my wife is from, Huanggang (although it's geographically a big area, so only close in China terms).

I stayed in a hotel near the Fifth Patriarch Temple, which had a nice walk straight from the hotel on an old footpath. There were a few modern looking, new buildings as well as the older temple further up. Inside the new exbhition hall, there was a lot of information about the history of the temple.

Unfortunately, the Fourth Patriarch Temple, was going through some reconstruction but it was really interesting to see it's pride it had in spreading Chan/Zen to other regions. There were loads of photos of foreigners on the walls (I've never seen that in a temple in China before), including Red Pine himself (quite a few times...). Due to the summer heat and having to catch a train, I didn't explore the surrounding areas of the main temple, which is supposed to be quite nice. I'm sure I'll have a chance to visit again though.

Gassho
    Ross
    stlah

Lovely, Ross.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8573[/ATTAC]

For our dear friends, may we yet, I did 4 years hope, and yet be.
    Gassho
    Tai Shi. sat/lah
    Deep Bows.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 07-20-2023 at 02:25 PM.
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Please tell me who the fourth Patriarch is? Who had such a beautiful temple dedicated to him and why? What did he do to merit such architecture, or was he a mental apparition as in the Greek and Roman Gods, and was he much like most and many Gods, a simple reference to wild beautiful things, and/ or to forces we do not understand: life and death, All the all planets. all stars and origins and of the origin of life, and the universe and evidently many illnesses human and otherwise. Why such pictures?
    sat/lah/Gassho
    Deep bows
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Shi View Post
    Please tell me who the fourth Patriarch is? Who had such a beautiful temple dedicated to him and why? What did he do to merit such architecture, or was he a mental apparition as in the Greek and Roman Gods, and was he much like most and many Gods, a simple reference to wild beautiful things, and/ or to forces we do not understand: life and death, All the all planets. all stars and origins and of the origin of life, and the universe and evidently many illnesses human and otherwise. Why such pictures?
    sat/lah/Gassho
    Deep bows
    You.

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Shi View Post
    Please tell me who the fourth Patriarch is?
    Here is about the Fourth Ancestor in China, Daoxin. Not much historically reliable information is known about him actually.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dayi_Daoxin

The Fourth Ancestor's Temple, whose actual name is Chongdi Temple I believe, is where he was buried fourteen centuries ago.

Gassho, Jundo

stlah

Happy holidays from Italy

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH

Jishin, that leaning tower is not the only tall white thing in the picture that is ancient and slightly askew.

Gassho, Jundo

satlah

Happy holidays from Italy

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH
    WONDERFUL! Welcome to my neck of the woods… Sort of

Gassho
    Sat and lah
    Bion
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Quote Originally Posted by Bion View Post
    WONDERFUL! Welcome to my neck of the woods… Sort of

Gassho
    Sat and lah

Ah! Nice!!

Gassho
    Sat and lah
    Bion

TiantongT.JPG
    TiantongT2.JPG
    TiantongT3.JPG

Some pictures I took at Tiantong Temple in Ningbo, China, where Dogen trained. However, since Dogen the buildings have be destroyed several times so the only remainings from that time may be the two lakes that are infront.

Here's a picture of a 800 year tree next to the lake, probably contemporary of Dogen

P1010753.JPG
    P1010752.JPG

And the facing wall room at first glance I thought it was the place to sit, but actually is only for rituals
    P1010750.JPG
    P1010749.JPG

Gassho

stlah, Bernal

Quote Originally Posted by nalber3 View Post
    TiantongT.JPG
    TiantongT2.JPG
    TiantongT3.JPG

Some pictures I took at Tiantong Temple in Ningbo, China, where Dogen trained. However, since Dogen the buildings have be destroyed several times so the only remainings from that time may be the two lakes that are infront.

Here's a picture of a 800 year tree next to the lake, probably contemporary of Dogen

P1010753.JPG
    P1010752.JPG

And the facing wall room at first glance I thought it was the place to sit, but actually is only for rituals
    P1010750.JPG
    P1010749.JPG

Gassho

stlah, Bernal
    Big WOW Thanks for sharing these!

Gassho
    Sat and lah
    Bion

Thanks Nalber

A bit of history is always nice

Gassho, Tokan

satlah
    平道 島看 Heidou Tokan (Balanced Way Island Nurse)
    I enjoy learning from everyone, I simply hope to be a friend along the way

Lovely photos, Bernal. It must have been a great experience to visit this temple so linked to our Soto lineage. Thank you for sharing!
    Gassho,
    Tai Do
    Satlah

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Do View Post
    Lovely photos, Bernal. It must have been a great experience to visit this temple so linked to our Soto lineage. Thank you for sharing!
    Gassho,
    Tai Do
    Satlah
    Thank you, yes, despite being surrounded by masses of tourists the atmosphere was really chill. I was surprised that I didn't find any acknowledgment to Dogen. They speak about a Japanese monk, but it isn't Dogen. At same time they are aware that the place is very important for Japan.

Gasshō

stlah, Bernal

Wonderful visit with my good friend Doshin today.

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH

It makes me happy seeing you together.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Wonderful, good photos, Thanks for sharing those.

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Great to be able to see these photos, Jishin.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Gassho,
    Tai Do
    Satlah
    (also known as Mateus )

The Parana river, in Rosario, Argentina. We visited again for the holidays for the first time since covid, and I found a little time to sit alone and simply watch the river flow, as I used to do when I was in college

Gassho
    Alina
    ST+LAH

IMG-20240102-WA0002.jpg

Alina;
    Nice!!

gassho, Shokai
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Alina View Post
    The Parana river, in Rosario, Argentina. ... I found a little time to sit alone and simply watch the river flow ...
    Maybe better to just sit by the side and watch, rather than to get in ...

So, are there Piranhas in the Parana River? In short, yes there are Piranha in the Parana river. The river is the second largest in Latin America and has good conditions for Piranha breeding. Fishbase lists 3 species predominantly using the river and periodically there are attacks which further provide proof. The most famous Piranha to inhabit the river is the Speckled Piranha.

https://piranhaguide.com/are-there-p...-parana-river/

Gassho, J

stlah

** Actually, I know that Piranha fish are not as dangerous as made to be in old movies. Just kidding. Also, Piranhas are Buddha too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Maybe better to just sit by the side and watch, rather than to get in ...

Gassho, J

stlah

** Actually, I know that Piranha fish are not as dangerous as made to be in old movies. Just kidding. Also, Piranhas are Buddha too.
    Hi Jundo,

It took me a few days to understand the joke, because for me, it's the "Río Paraná", with an accent in the last "a", so I thought maybe you were interested in piranhas...

The Paraná's piranhas are commonly called "palometas", they are not as dangerous as movie piranhas but can still bite people, especially in very hot days, so it's usually safe to be in the river, though I do prefer to just sit by the side and watch.

Now both pronunciations coexist in my head, and it makes me chuckle when I think of the "Paranha" river

Gassho

Alina
    ST+LAH

Page 63 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1353616263