I had a few open questions from my weekend and hoped you may all be able to provide some clarity.

1. Sheer okesa. I noticed that Ryushin Sensei wore a kesa that was made of a material that seemed see through. I believe I had seen something similar on a video with Nishijima Roshi ...but goldish instead of black.

2. Rakusi ring. I know different schools do the rakusu a bit differently. But is their significance to the ring? Also their broken needle was more of an M with a line through it..at first I had thought it was a mistake but remembered their school is not traditional Soto.

3. Dharani. I know that this is similar to a mantra, however what is it's purpose and is it not something used in Soto tradition?

4. Keisaku. How often are these employed in western Zen centres today?

5. Dokusan. When dokusan is open in the zendo, why do the monks jump over each other and run to the line. Is this unique to ZMM or is it the norm.

6. Kinhin. The kinhin was fairly fast and somehow found it hard to keep in zazen. Is this also unique or common in today's Zen centres and monasteries?

I know many of these are probably just their flavour of Zen. But wanted to ask so I could differentiate between ZMM/MRO and Soto style.

Thanks

Gassho

Shawn

Sent from my I897 using Tapatalk