Just kind of throwing this subject out there, as a practicing Buddhist and with no disrespect but, although it is very easy to find not only solace and wisdom of the teachings of the Buddha but, a great peace and true happiness in the application of Buddhist thought, it dosen't take much investigation to see the many ways in which the story of the Buddha jibes with that of Christ, Dionysus, mythra, and even in some ways to Quetzalcoatl.
For example...

Both Buddha and Jesus were baptized in the presence of the "spirit" of G--d. (De Bunsen, p. 45; Matthew 3:16.)
Both went to their temples at the age of twelve, where they are said to have astonished all with their wisdom. (Ibid., p. 37; Luke 2:41--48.)
When Buddha died: "The coverings of [his] body unrolled themselves, and the lid of his coffin was opened by supernatural powers." (De Bunsen, p. 49.)
Buddha answered the "devil": "Get you away from me." (De Bunsen, p.38) Jesus responded: "...begone, Satan!" (Matthew 4:10). Both experienced the "supernatural" after the "devil" left: For Buddha: "The skies rained flowers, and delicious odors prevailed [in] the air." (Ibid.) For Jesus: "angels came and ministered to him" (Matthew 4:11).
Source http://www.tektonics.org/copycat/buddha01.html
I suppose my question is...
Is it fair to say that these are misconceptions from the western translation of the vedic story of Shakyamuni Buddha, or is this story of Buddha among many Buddhas not important to applied Buddhism as defined as those who seek awakening.