Thread: Huang-po's invitation to Zazen

Huang-po's invitation to Zazen

Hi everyone,

I was reading the simple words of master Huang-po (Obaku) ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huangbo_Xiyun ) and I thought I had to share them with you folks.
    They are simple and direct... a true invitation to Zazen, a true invitation to the vast simplicity of the Here and Now...
    These simple words are a cure for our minds wondering how to practice, sit, read the sutras, poop right... A Buddha practice is what a Buddha do!
    please forgive me for the crappy translation... it's mine!

The absence of practice is my spiritual method, nothing else than the One Mind/Heart.
    I ask you to never look after the Way, because what is looked for is lost when looking for it.

To look after nothing is the true tranquility. Who told you to eliminate this or that?
    Look at the space! How can you produce it or eliminate it?

The only thing to do is to develop no opinion or confusion. Mountains are mountains, rivers are rivers. The earth, the mountains, the oceans and the stars are nothing else than your own Mind/Heart.

Huang-po

Sounds familiar? :lol:

Have a great day everyone,
    deep gassho,
    Jinyu

Re: Huang-po's invitation to Zazen

Jinyu,

Fantastic teaching. I shall research more about Huang-Po. Thank you for sharing!

Thanks for the link Jinyu! I enjoyed this story very much....
    Wikipedia:
    Huángbň’s disdain for written texts is exemplified by the story of Pei Xiangguo presenting Huángbň with a text he had written on his understanding of Chan. Huángbň placed the text down without looking at and after a long pause asked, “Do you understand?” Pei replied, “I don’t understand.” Huángbň said, “If it can be understood in this manner, then it isn’t the true teaching. If it can be seen in paper and ink, then it’s not the essence of our order.”
    Gassho,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by JRBrisson
    ...Huángbň placed the text down without looking at and after a long pause asked, “Do you understand?” Pei replied, “I don’t understand.” Huángbň said, “If it can be understood in this manner, then it isn’t the true teaching. If it can be seen in paper and ink, then it’s not the essence of our order.”
    _/_ Gassho