Thread: Thoughts on 3 marks

Dhune

Thoughts on 3 marks

I wrote this for a different forum a few days ago. It's kind of like a journal entry. Just some thoughts I had while driving into work. I figured you guys might like it.

-----

All conditioned phenomena are impermanent, all that is impermanent is Dukkha, and all that is Dukkha is not self.

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

The very earth and sun, subject to death and decay, shall perish, vanish, and change. The structures, religions, creations, dreams, desires, passions, histories, artistic achievments, philosophies, struggles and triumphs, men and women of the entire history of our world are also subject to death and decay and shall parish, vanish, and change.

Anicca, Dukkha, and Anatta are absolute truths, and their eternality, their reality, their indesputible factuality is what gives rise to their escape. The path to liberation begins with recognizing one's imprisonment. This mindfulness of recognition gives rise to examination of conditioned phenomena. Examination gives rise to persistence in seeking the path. One's persistence gives rise to a sense of joy and rapture in anticipation of release. Enraptured in heart, one achieves peace of mind, composure, and serenity. At peace, the mind becomes concentrated. Thus the concentrated mind is observed in equanimity without regard to want or desire, to likes and dislikes, to comings and goings.

Thus observing the mind with equanimity, one discerns, seeks to fully comprehend, then directly realizes "this is Dukkha, this is the cause of Dukkha, this is the cessation of Dukkha, this is the path leading to the cessation of Dukkha." In this way does impermanence, dukkha, and not-self lead one to enter upon the path leading to liberation from impermanence, dukkha, and not-self. The seed for unbinding is sown in the nature of one's bonds. Examination of the lock gives rise to understanding how it may be broken.

Know your boundaries and thus transcend them!

Re: Thoughts on 3 marks

Quote Originally Posted by Dhune

Anicca, Dukkha, and Anatta are absolute truths, and their eternality ...

One's persistence gives rise to a sense of joy and rapture in anticipation of release. Enraptured in heart, one achieves peace of mind, composure, and serenity. At peace, the mind becomes concentrated. Thus the concentrated mind is observed in equanimity without regard to want or desire, to likes and dislikes, to comings and goings.

Know your boundaries and thus transcend them!
    Hmmm. Is 'impermanence' somehow 'eternal'? Or is impermanence 'impermanent'? Something else all together? Hmmm.

I would not worry so much about it. Merely drop one's little 'self' into emptiness, allowing 'impermanence' to become 'going with the flow' (in fact, to be the flowing that's just the flowing flowing flowing) ... and Dukkha is not.

Sometimes a sense of joy and rapture may result, sometimes tears and total distraction amid life. Do not insist that any such mental state be permanent, and joy, tears, rapture and distraction are each just emptiness, the ever-always-changing flowing permanently/impermanently flowing flowing flowing. Go with the flow, the flowing just flowing! Allow joyful times to be joyful, tears to be times of tears. This is a kind of Joy which embraces whole little human judgments of "happy and sad".

Transcending boundaries never there from the first, yet always present in this lovely day-to-day world around us.

There are some little presentations on "Emptiness/Sunyata" "Anicca" "Dukkha" and "Anatta" here:

viewforum.php?f=21

Gassho, J

The path to liberation begins with recognizing one's imprisonment. This mindfulness of recognition gives rise to examination of conditioned phenomena. Examination gives rise to persistence in seeking the path. One's persistence gives rise to a sense of joy and rapture in anticipation of release. Enraptured in heart, one achieves peace of mind, composure, and serenity. At peace, the mind becomes concentrated. Thus the concentrated mind is observed in equanimity without regard to want or desire, to likes and dislikes, to comings and goings.
    It sounds to me like you are looking to leave something or somewhere to get something somewhere.
    What is wrong with here and now as things are?

When I sit zazen and get to that brief moment in my mind where I no longer think, where I only exist and flow with life, that's when the Three Marks become clear and I am part of them.

I understand life and I think that's when one stops looking for answers.

I really like your thoughts on this Dhune. Thank you for sharing.