Thread: Shobogenzo.....wow...

disastermouse

Shobogenzo.....wow...

So, I just cracked into the first book of the Nishijima/Cross translation....

Re: Shobogenzo.....wow...

Quote Originally Posted by disastermouse
    I just started reading that translation about a week ago.

what a ride

_/_

Seiryu

disastermouse

Quote Originally Posted by Seiryu
    I just started reading that translation about a week ago.

what a ride

_/_

Seiryu
    Seriously, nothing like getting the foundation of the practice and the 'drive' of the school from the founder himself. He makes some fallacious arguments in 'Bendowa' (arguments to authority, etc.), but they were probably par for the course in medieval Japan at the time.

Is Shobogenzo not recommended reading here? If it isn't, here's me recommending it!

Chet

Agreed. I've been reading the new translation by Kaz Tanahashi. Knowing this comes from the founder of Soto shu and the background to each vasicle provided by Tanahashi is fantastic.

Gassho

S

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Going to start on Bendowa this week (I hope). I think I'm going to read the Cross translation, as well as the standalone Okumura/Uchiyama/Leighton volume. Maybe I'll have enough money for the Tanahashi volumes after my birthday. If not, I'll be waiting until Christmas.

gassho,
    Shujin

Glad you guys are opening your eyes to it. Yes Chet, I have been mumbling about it a chapter at a time for almost a year in vids( genjokoan, Koku, Baike...).
    By the way, back safe and sound from Yakushima, a wonderful remote tropical island full of trees and rain and rocks.
    Great spot!

gassho

Taigu

Is Shobogenzo not recommended reading here? If it isn't, here's me recommending it!

Chet
    And where in Buddha heavens did that idea come from? :shock:

I just always point folks to my suggestions on "How To Read Dogen" ...

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2999

I went through Bendowa, by the way, about two years ago in a series of "sit-a-long" talks ... all now faded away into space. However, that is one of the points of Bendowa.

Gassho, J

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu
    By the way, back safe and sound from Yakushima, a wonderful remore tropical island full of trees and rain and rocks.
    Great spot!
    Welcome back!

Sounds wonderful.

Was this perhaps the Pure Land? :lol:

gassho
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu
    By the way, back safe and sound from Yakushima, a wonderful remore tropical island full of trees and rain and rocks.
    Great spot!

gassho

Taigu
    Welcome back Taigu Sensei! Now put on that beautiful Okesa and get out there

Gassho,
    John

disastermouse

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo

Chet

I went through Bendowa, by the way, about two years ago in a series of "sit-a-long" talks ... all now faded away into space. However, that is one of the points of Bendowa.

Gassho, J
    I'm sorry Jundo, I didn't mean to imply it wasn't recommended reading, just that for some reason I hadn't seen it - and because it's so...just wonderfully mind-blowing, I was saying to anyone reading - 'Read it!'.

(I almost have a daily sitting practice now, yesterday was the first day I missed in a while!)

Gassho,

Chet

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo

Chet

Gassho, J
    I'm sorry Jundo, I didn't mean to imply it wasn't recommended reading, just that for some reason I hadn't seen it - and because it's so...just wonderfully mind-blowing, I was saying to anyone reading - 'Read it!'.

(I almost have a daily sitting practice now, yesterday was the first day I missed in a while!)

Gassho,

Chet
    There are days when Shobogenzo seems like it is the sanest, most down to earth thing I've ever read; there are also days (more of them) where it is like drinking from a firehose and I cannot make any logical sense of it. On those days I just finish reading the chapter and let the words wash over my brain much like one does with some kinds of poetry, and trust that the non-linear mind will digest it. Indeed, most of the time I think of shobogenzo as a huge collection of poetry; it sure reads that way. I assume that this is largely because of the way the japanese language works, but I'm not sure since I know zero japanese. Either way, I applaud your efforts to bite into this mammoth. I've only focused on a few chapters and reread them over and over.

Peace,
    Eika