Thread: Quick posture question..and observations.

disastermouse

Quick posture question..and observations.

Hey all,

My knee is finally healed enough that I could sit seizan on my bench, except that even though my right ankle is no longer sprained, it doesn't want to lay flat either - I've lost some mobility. Will placing a roll under my ankles cause a problem?

Also, I want to regain enough flexibility to sit half-lotus again soon. I know there was a list of exercises for that around here somewhere, but I haven't been able to find the post.

Lastly, I FINALLY figured out what was causing my jaw/neck problems when sitting - I was curling my tongue up too much to place it against the roof of my mouth - when I place it on my palate JUST behind my teeth, the problems are less.

Thanks,

Chet

Re: Quick posture question..and observations.

Quote Originally Posted by disastermouse
    Hey all,

My knee is finally healed enough that I could sit seizan on my bench, except that even though my right ankle is no longer sprained, it doesn't want to lay flat either - I've lost some mobility. Will placing a roll under my ankles cause a problem?
    Hi Chet,

I would like to hear Taigu and others' opinions, but my general view is ... if you feel while sitting that way that it is not a problem, and it feels generally balanced and stable, such that the body is not such a concern and one is comfortable to sit such way without strain ...

... then it is not a problem.

Gassho, J

disastermouse

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Quote Originally Posted by disastermouse
    Hey all,

Hi Chet,

I would like to hear Taigu and others' opinions, but my general view is ... if you feel while sitting that way that it is not a problem, and it feels generally balanced and stable, such that the body is not such a concern and one is comfortable to sit such way without strain ...

... then it is not a problem.

Gassho, J
    Jundo,

I WANT to sit cross-legged, but my leg isn't there yet. Seizan is less....what do you call it? Sitting cross-legged, everything sort of takes care of itself - it's hard to describe. Seizan is less so, but I've been sitting with a chair and that is even LESS so.

I'm looking up yoga videos to help me get more flexible so that cross-legged is possible again, and maybe even with less numbness than before. Also, I don't think I ever sat cross-legged without dropping the hip of the leg that goes on 'top', if you know what I mean. This tilts the spine in that direction. How do you keep your hips in line for the leg that's on top? I'd been using a prop to support it, so I think that I just need it to be more flexible.

Gassho,

Chet

Hi Chet,

I very much second Jundo on that one, being at ease and free is at the very core of our sitting practice. So whatever works for you...
    Yoga is great. Anything that challenges your-mine usual way of doing on the top of what is originaly present. You see, Chet, sitting is not body building ( and body building is really great, don't misunderstand what I mean here), or trying to achieve some sort of goal, it is exactly the reverse: to allow an undoing, to invite something that you are not taking under your control. In my limited understanding, you would be a perfect student for AT. But that's all up to you. Pilates would be great too.

For now, go for what is really comfortable.
    And great to hear about the sewing, the shobogenzo...This is a time of real adventure for you.

gassho

Taigu

As I'm sure Taigu would agree, "head forward and up" when you're sitting. If you can learn how to do that, it'll make a big difference in your posture, and your pain and relaxation when sitting.

Thanks Kirkmc, this"head forward and up" is one of the main directions of AT. But doing it is one of the worst thing ever. In this way of allowing an undoing, you don't do it, you allow it to do itself. There is enough in this to keep somebody busy for a whole life, maybe a few more...
    But once more, it boils down to what works for you and where life brought you to.

gassho

Taigu

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu
    Thanks Kirkmc, this"head forward and up" is one of the main directions of AT. But doing it is one of the worst thing ever. In this way of allowing an undoing, you don't do it, you allow it to do itself. There is enough in this to keep somebody busy for a whole life, maybe a few more...
    But once more, it boils down to what works for you and where life brought you to.

gassho

Taigu
    Right, I didn't want to get into the non-doing bit.